Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Thoughts on the Trek EX 8?
  • Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Does anyone have this bike and if so … how do they rate it?

Ta!

flow
    Free Member

Just sold a 2010 EX9 if thats any help.

It was fast along and up, but pretty average on the downs, not very confidence inspiring at all, very cross country orientated geometry (if thats what you want). I wouldn’t have said it was particularly fun to ride either compared to say a Trance X or a Five, though they have more travel so hardly a good comparison.

If I was you I would test ride one before purchasing.

clubby

A shorter stem and a layback seatpost make a huge difference to how it rides. I took 20mm off the stem and added a 20mm offset post so the cockpit length stayed the same but the bike is transformed. Agree with flow about the descending ability on showroom spec though. Like he say’s depends on what you’re going to do with it.
    Dirt magazine rate the fuel as one of their favourite trail bikes, so if its good enough for a bunch of downhillers…
    Do a forum search as you’ll find loads of info on fuels and shorter stems.

popartpoem
    Free Member

I guess you’re asking ‘cos you’re thinking of buying.

One of my regular riding buddies has the 2010 EX8, another has the 2009 EX8, and they both love ’em. I’ve ridden both many times & really rate them highly – they are great for the riding we do … Peak District, Lake District & the odd Trail Centre thrown in. We try to get out for 3-5 hours a time, in all weathers (we ride all year round)and ride all kinds of terrain.

I guess you’d call them XC/AM crossover … probably not the bike if you’re going to throw yourself off big drops … but, if you want something that goes up well & comes down with confidence, you won’t go far wrong.

Alternatives? I have a Trance X & a Zesty, which obviously I prefer … but it’s a userchooser preference.

flow
    Free Member

I sold mine after I hired an Orange Five at Glentress. I wasn’t looking for a new bike, just went to visit family in Scotland. The Five was more fun everywhere other than upwards, even then it wasn’t far behind.

A shorter stem made a bit of difference on the EX, I also ran a pair of 140mm Floats @ 130mm to slacken it slightly, still didn’t get the desired effect though. It all depends what you are after.

If you are looking for an XC orientated bike I would definitely recommend one. If you are looking for something a little more fun/capable have a look at Zesty/Trance/Five/Heckler etc

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Well the Zesty after some research shows as being a tad big for me, and I feel the Orange and the Anthems are too burly for my needs. I need a XC bike I can ride all day, that will take most of what I throw at it … and having ridden the Lakes recently … need something that climbs well and descends with confidence. NOT looking to do big drop offs!!!
    There was a small Boardman FS PRO 2010 for sale that had similar geo (but the Trek has a better suspension) … though I found the bars to wide … though this might be due to only really have ridden HT’s?

clubby

Bar width is a very personal thing. Small things like that are easily changed if the rest of the bike is what you want. You can always cut them down or swap them on here for a narrower set.
    See if there is a demo day near you anytime soon where you can try a few different makes.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

I’m selling one if your in the market. Its not that i didnt like the bike, just didnt like FS as much as i thought i would. It does seem a really capable bike – it did give me loads of confidence going downhill, but as mainly a road rider i like to feel the ground more so i’m going down the steel HT route next.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trek-fuel-ex-2010

ampthill

I have a Fuel ex (6.5)and wouldn’t disagree with whats above but still feel its a good bike for me.

Its a bit anonymous really. I ride it copes. Its mainly single track at Woburn I ride and I enjoy it for that (I was on my hard tail today I prefer the Fuel ex).

I’m quite wheels on the ground. I’ve ridden over what I think of us quite rocky stuff and I’ve never felt the bike was bothering me. I’d say feel happy at a trail centre.

But I’m sure the riders above are pushing harder than me on harder terrain so it horses for courses

I put a much shorter stem on and my favourite Mary bars.

stumpy01

I test rode a 2010 EX9 & Stumpjumper fsr on the same day.

For me, the fsr was way better than the EX9 – better grip in corners & climbing, the suspension worked better & the bike just felt more confidence inspiring.
    Spent several hours on each & never got happy with the EX9 whereas the Stumpjumper felt right straight away.

Was a bit gutted really, as the EX looked better & I was replacing my old Stumpjumper fsr so was quite keen to go for the Trek, rather than another Specialized.

orena45

I’ve had one for 3 years (2008 EX8) and it’s still one of the best things I’ve ever bought! It climbs really well and IMHO descends very well too. The suspension feels bottomless so will take harder hits but also has very little pedal bob when cranking out of the saddle on roads/fireroads. As mentioned, not really a bike for big drops though I have done 4-5ft drops on it with no problems (but I am only 10\11 stone – if you’re a biffer then you might have issues!)

Like most people, I’ve put a shorter stem on and over the years I have changed a lot of components but more to suit my riding style etc than through necessity. My only gripe however has been the lack of seals on the Bontrager/DT Swiss hubs i.e. non-existant, on the front. I’ve had the bearings seize up after only a couple of muddy/gritty/wet rides which was annoying but they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. However this may or may not have been rectified on later models.

Definately reccommended!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ive got a 2009 ex8 and I love it- I did have an orange 5 before it and I prefer the trek especially on the ups- only issue is image I suppose 😉

ilovemygears
    Free Member

had one 2008, snapped it in half at the rear brake mount, tore a bolt out the frame at same time, Trek gave me a new one though..but sold it on..lasted 12 weeks

matt22
    Free Member

I have the FUEL EX 9 2011 it almost the same, I’m not going to lie to you I love it. Lovely neutral riding position nice width on the bars I shortened the stem length and changed the saddle and definitely change the tires they are the things that kill the confidence on this bike just get them to take them off in the shop. Loads of settings on the suspension so you can dial it in to you preference and the shock are super easy to set up.

I had my heart set on the ex8 but when balls out for the 9 because I would not have to up grade anything but on reflection I don’t think it really matters but I’m a marketing mans dream ha ha ha.

I take my bike mainly over Exmoor and wales its so comfortable and easy to ride its super lite and smashes up the hills and down them .

Hope this helps in you decision I was in the same boat 4 months ago and with that much money at steak and all the info available its pretty overwhelming

I love the bike but I would also consider the canyon Nerve they look identical but cheaper

rOcKeTdOg

just sold my EX 8 (09) it was a great bike, only sold it as it had 26″ wheels and after riding 29ers it didn’t feel right somehow, guy who bought it loves it though

mrben100
    Free Member

I had an EX 8 2009 and loved it, at the time it was considered the best all mountain ride by certain magazines, until the lapierre revolution that is.

I’m at the heavier end of the scale nearing 100kg but it coped fine (although that model of the bike came with a custom 130mm fork upfront the later models come with 120mm), took it round all the welsh trail centres and the only thing holding me back was my ability. Only got rid of due to someone helping themselves to it from my garage.

Replaced with Fuel EX9 2010 which I have to say wasn’t quite as good although the bolt through front axle did make it feel a bit stiffer. That one was also nicked 3 months after the first.

Had it replaced with a Spicy 316 2010 which travel wise was more capable but wrong kind of geometry for me and, dare I say it, overbiked. 🙄

Have gone back to a Fuel EX8 2010 and have to say best decision I have ever made. Recent trip to wales and it flew up the climbs and wasn’t too shabby on the downs either.

Only gripe with the 3 Fuel EX’s I’ve had is that I have changed the wheelsets as the hubs that come as standard are shocking – as soon as you go near anything muddy the seals seem next to uselsess, I always swap for something with a hope hub.

Also always change the brakes to formula, but that’s more to a personal preference as can’t stand Avids that come as standard.

Never thought/needed to change the stem, though having read the above may investigate further.

IMHO of course.

Enjoy if you get one.

(Oh yes everyone else on here seems to hate trek as the exact opposite to the definition of niche which makes it aalmost worth getting alone. 😉 )

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

When and looked at a EX 6 and 8 today in Cycle Surgery … not sure which one now I like more now?

Also found out that to get a demo means finding a demo day … though there is an added problem that if I go to a demo day what happens if they don’t have a bike in my size to try … being really small?

ampthill

There seem to be less demo days this year

is there an Evans ride it near you. They are demoing the equivalant Specialized, which may work for you

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/hire-bikes

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Thanks, but I have already decided against Spesh!

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I have an EX 8 2009 and love it, though I’ve never owned another FS bike. Like mrben I’m pretty bulky at about 95kg, but it’s coped fine.

I found the stock tyres shocking, though incredibly easy to turn tubeless if you can get them on the wheels (very tight). They should change them in the shop for you though. One of my mates had a top fuel and the guys in the shop looked as if they were expecting him to return the tyres (which they just swapped no probs).

I mainly ride around Bristol, Cwmcarn, Afan and Coed-y-Brenin. For me it works great, though I don’t have big enough balls to leave the ground too often. I always feel like I’m the one that limits the ride, not the bike limiting me.

HTH

Chubby

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on the Trek EX 8?’ is closed to new replies.