Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • this is close
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/194423-1/Cyclist-close-call.gif
    i reckon the back wheel may have a buckle in it after this……very lucky

RealMan
    Free Member

Saw it the other day, made me cringe.

donsimon
    Free Member

Hope he was insured.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

what a pillock. He’d deserve a prison sentence if that motorcyclist had been hurt.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

That’s gonna leave a flat spot on the tyres! ppprp!

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

That’s gonna leave a flat spot on the tyres! ppprp!

and a big brown stain in his shorts

Amos
    Free Member

That’s a tricky one to call has he awesome bike skills or terrible bike skills? Cornering fail, saving it awesome!

njee20
    Free Member

He’d deserve a prison sentence if that motorcyclist had been hurt.

In the same way that every driver who injures another road user deserves prison? He’s screwed up for sure, but it’s no different whatsoever to how most car crashes happen, and if you think every one of them should be jailed we’ll need a lot more prisons!

yunki
    Free Member

In the same way that every driver who injures another road user deserves prison? He’s screwed up for sure, but it’s no different whatsoever to how most car crashes happen, and if you think every one of them should be jailed we’ll need a lot more prisons!

I’m not sure of I agree with that at all..

I imagine that most car accidents happens because the driver is not paying attention..
    not because they are recklessly endangering lives by driving well beyond their skill level..

Do people go to prison for driving dangerously..?
    Reckless endangerment..?
    Death by dangerous driving..?

was your statement an example of ‘militant cyclist will defend other cyclists at all costs..’?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In the same way that every driver who injures another road user deserves prison?

Pretty much yes. I would like to see far tougher enforcement of driving law. Thousands of people a year die on the roads

cyclist just overcooked it, bikers were pootling along not paying attention

coffeeking
    Free Member

Who knows there wasn’t D on the road, or he didn’t have an unexpected brake failure? Well done to the drivers for managing to avoid him I say, and maybe lets not jump to conclusions about what happened from a 30 frame animated gif eh 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s all about road position. He should have been close in to the kerb then that never would have happened.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That cyclist was riding dangerously, too fast and WAAAAYYY beyond his ability to make that corner. If he had caused an accident and injury (or even death) to the biker, then what would you suggest his punishment be?
    He’s a road user and subject to the same rules.

aP
    Free Member

I still get surprised when cyclists on a cycling forum demonstrate how much they dislike other cyclists.

theflatboy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    cyclist just overcooked it, bikers were pootling along not paying attention

the second one definitely looked like he was paying attention!

donsimon
    Free Member

I still get surprised when cyclists on a cycling forum demonstrate how much they dislike other cyclists.

Which bit of the out of control cyclist who crossed the white line and was a danger to both himself and other road users would you like to defend?

scaredypants

Unless he thought he was on a closed road he was way out of control – if a car/moto driver was that far out of their own lane and caused injury I’d expect (optimistically) them to be punished and so I would him too (as muddy said). He was bloody lucky that he didn’t hurt someone.

TandemJeremy – Member
    bikers were pootling along not paying attention

😆 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve seen the .gif, I know all the circumstances that led up to that situation, and feel fully capable of voicing my opinion on what the consequences should be.

ITT: muppets.

Amos
    Free Member

There appears to be people on here that have never had momentary lack of talent/taken a risk/had a crash they probably also read the daily mail 😉

phil.w
    Free Member

Unless he thought he was on a closed road he was way out of control

Thats an impressive ability you have there, being able to know all the circumstances from watching a 2 sec clip.

I’ve crossed the white line on a descent like that before, in fact i hit the wall on the other side of the road. Was I out of control, going to fast? No, I had ridden the route many times and knew the appropriate speed. What happened this time, I hit a stone and had an instant blow out on my front wheel.

How do you know something like this or a mechanical failure didn’t occur? Accidents happen.

scaredypants

Aye Amos – and the person he’d most likely have hurt would be himself but if the 2nd biker had been on the same bit of road going faster he’d have badly hurt the cyclist and then probably hit the rocks on the outside of the bend

temporary loss of talent, with mitigating adverse conditions too

scaredypants

How do you know something like this or a mechanical failure didn’t occur?

a temporary one, that fixed itself to allow him to control the bike after the bend ? Youre right, I don’t know at all

yunki
    Free Member

you’re one of those people who will kick an old lady to death because you’re showing solidarity with your psycho friends…

jameso

If he had caused an accident and injury (or even death) to the biker, then what would you suggest his punishment be?
    He’s a road user and subject to the same rules.

so he’d get a 6 month suspended and a year ban maybe, as many drivers who kill cyclists seem to get. Just plead ‘a momentary lapse of concentration’. Or a bee in your face, it happens..

I’m sure the media would claim there’s ‘killer cyclists on the loose’ though, in classic man bites dog style.

Maybe those criticising and commenting on how dangerous all this is could think back over their years on a bike and recall how close they’ve been to doing something similar, a dog on a blind bend, a slide on some oil, sht happens. “There but for the grace of god go I” – also a basic reason why death by car rarely attracts heavy penalties from Judges.

Anyway, great clip, I feel his panic! I’ve done something similar clipping an A-frame road sign with my foot coming down Alpe D’Huez in about 15mins.. while descending like a care-free and dangerous lunatic. Clip / slide, hi-side bounce, swerve across the road into a recovery wobble and carry on. A memorable moment : )

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe those criticising and commenting on how dangerous all this is could think back over their years on a bike and recall how close they’ve been to doing something similar, a dog on a blind bend, a slide on some oil, sht happens. “There but for the grace of god go I” – also a basic reason why death by car rarely attracts heavy penalties from Judges.

I’ll remember that and go for the “shit happens and btw I’m a cyclist” defence as a way of not taking responsibility. Will it work in other areas of life too?

njee20
    Free Member

Oh c’mon, I’m definitely in the ‘have you really never overshot a corner?!’ camp! The person who stands to lose most is the cyclist, it’s a safe assumption he didn’t go barrelling down there thinking ‘I’ll just overshoot this corner, no one will be there’.

I really can’t believe the militant ‘BURN HIM’ people on here! Remind me not to ride with you, lest you report me to the police for missing a corner in the singletrack!

bigsi
    Free Member

Wow. How fast was he climbing that hill for that to happen ❓ 😯

scaredypants

I’ve overshot corners on the road, even a blind one once – couldn’t help thinking that I’d been a **** though, and pretty lucky

kaesae
    Free Member

I thought that was very cool, fair enough he over shot the corner but the whole situation was intense, the motor biker moving over, the cyclist braking, all of it really.

That could have gone a lot of different ways, and it was very funny, always is when it’s not your ass!

landcruiser
    Free Member

Boy, do I wish I was in the “I never make a mistake” gang !

yunki
    Free Member

but it’s not about not making a mistake though is it..

if he was doing 70 in a 30mph limit in a pimped out metro you’d all be gnashing your mean pointy little teeth and taking to the streets to lynch the local teenagers and burn some virgins..
    what a bunch of hypocritical mindless lunatics..

I flipping well despair

landcruiser
    Free Member

Not an accurate analogy at all……… (IMO)

what a bunch of hypocritical mindless lunatics.. (!)

cakefacesmallblock

No one got hurt ( luckily). Some pretty black and white verdicts on here , from some obviously perfect folk.

nealglover
    Free Member

bikers were pootling along not paying attention

Are you being serious !?

If the second guy hadn’t been paying attention the cyclist* would have ploughed straight into him.

(the one who crossed the solid white line, totally out of control, for reasons unknown ?)

leffeboy

Anyone else think he was forced to stay inside of the line he was going to take by the motorbike that just overtook him. He then wasn’t wide enough to take the corner and was braking heavily instead?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

neal thats the way I saw it – yes the second on noticed him and took avoiding action – but they were on car lines and not much angle of dangle

actually looking at it again are they classic / old motorbikes? Maybe my initial comment was a bit harsh

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Infact on another look maybe the cyclist is lucky they were pootling. I suspect I might not have had enough in reserve to avoid him if I had been on the bit of road the second bike was and was going for it. With your footrests on the ground its hard to manoeuvre altho not impossible. I rarely went over 8/10 on the road tho but those bikes were 4/10

mintimperial

I’ve no idea what the hell the rest of you are arguing about! The cyclist has to be in the right: clearly both the motorbikes and the car driver are on the wrong side of the road! And what sort of sick lunatic would paint the double white lines yellow?! Jeez…

nealglover
    Free Member

all Good points mintimperial :mrgreen:

scaredypants

Anyone else think he was forced to stay inside of the line he was going to take by the motorbike that just overtook him. He then wasn’t wide enough to take the corner and was braking heavily instead?

Not me; I’m more inclined to think he was following or maybe even chasing the bike but it had better brakes (bike wasn’t lashing it from what I see, seemed to have plenty in hand)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘this is close’ is closed to new replies.