Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 217 total)
  • This football chant racism business, really?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41374186

Is this really “racism”? It’s could be considered “offensive” but at least 50% of most football chants could be.

Kick it out has done a lot of things to try and address some real problems in football. Does this really help? Just makes them look pretty stupid and gives fuel to the “PC gone mad” brigade.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You could argue that it’s a sign of how things have progressed.

It’s a strange one!!

edlong
    Free Member

It’s could be considered “offensive”

Well there’s your answer then. Unless you’re proposing that some degree of offensive racism is okay.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Unless you’re proposing that some degree of offensive racism is okay.

The song suggests he has a massive penis.

‘Scoring all our goals, bellend by his toes’

Link, if it’s allowed

https://www.facebook.com/SPORFSC/videos/1683974801615283/

theotherjonv

While singing rude songs has always been part of football, the rudeness isn’t really the issue here (although as a lifelong fan I’ll admit to sniggering at some rude songs in the past, I can also see that if we want ladies and kids to feel at home at football then they are becoming less acceptable)

Putting that aside, the ‘difficulty’ seems to me to be that the stereotype being portrayed is what some would consider a positive one. Why would that be an issue?

The question here is whether stereotyping someone as a result of the colour of their skin racism?

That’s your answer.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Perfect !
    [video]https://youtu.be/LtmSPv1m2MY[/video]

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Also, Romelu Lukaku is a bugger to rhyme with anything.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Don’t really see where the racist element comes into this ..do some white men not have large penises Offensive? ..perhaps ..but personally if I was a pro footballer and there was a terrace chant proclaiming to the world that I had a supersized ” old man” ..I would be well chuffed..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Putting that aside, the ‘difficulty’ seems to me to be that the stereotype being portrayed is what some would consider a positive one.

Offensive? ..perhaps ..but personally if I was a pro footballer and there was a terrace chant proclaiming to the world that I had a supersized ” old man” ..I would be well chuffed..

There was a similar thing many years ago with Linford’s ‘lunchbox’. Actually it’s not particularly complimentary,when you spend spend your life training to excel at something and then people still apply reductive stereotypes.

As to seeing it as positive… No, not really. I mean after all. “they are really good dancers” “or they are really good at singing” is not a positive to say in this context either. It plays to lazy stereotypes and is reductive.

I think, particularly in this forum, we need to move beyond the term ‘racism’ we end up in semantic arguments about it and whether or not it is actually ‘racist’. That’s not really the issue, it’s just not very nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First question do you want to try and explain it to the kids at the football?
    Next – is it a stereotype based on the colour of his skin?

That tells you it’s out for me, and yes it’s called progress not PC gone mad.

jonnyboi

^^^^^^ this +1 sausage

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is there a pineapple on his head?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Up here we have ‘show racism the red card’ and it’s in their definitions – racial stereotyping – which all clubs sign up to.

I’d imagine KROOF will have the same.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Political correctness gone mad. Next we’ll ban songs about running fast as being a racial steriotype. We’ve had the same nonsense at Spurs about singing being the “Yid Army”, thats done with pride and showing solidarity with a persecuted group.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just to add fire to the “stereotype” a good mates an ex pro and he always said no man has ever matched Sol Campbell in the trouser area 😆

hodgynd
    Free Member

Chants & swearing have been part & parcel of attending football matches since I started supporting my team 50 years ago ..its called atmosphere .
    Within the last few weeks Premier League clubs were asked if they were in favour of having a standing section re-introduced at their ground ..this being where those fans interested in singing could be housed ..( they arent going to be handed a hymm sheet on the way in ) most clubs were in favour .
    If you are going to be offended by swearing or singing ..knowing as most people do that this happens at a football match then my advice is to stay away ..
    Racism in sport ..I have no time for ..but I don’t see how racism can be applied to that particular chant .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Political correctness gone mad. Next we’ll ban songs about running fast as being a racial steriotype.

If it implies that being of a certain race/skin colour means you can run fast then yes it is a stereotype and isn’t appropriate. That is what people are moving to in this century, leaving racial, ethnic an religious stereotypes behind.

If you are going to be offended by swearing or singing ..knowing as most people do that this happens at a football match then my advice is to stay away ..
    Racism in sport ..I have no time for ..but I don’t see how racism can be applied to that particular chant .

How about making it a more welcoming place for families? Would you take a 5 or 6 year old to see their first game if they were going to listen to swearing for 90 minutes?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mike look at the finals of any athletics event, its clear there is a physiological difference. It’s now medically proven.

We’ll have an edict before long saying no clapping at football just like they do in student politics. Jazz Hands Baby. Jazz Hands.

The NUS Women’s Campaign tweeted: “Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it’s triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32032291/students-swap-clapping-for-jazz-hands-at-nus-event

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/nus-ban-whooping-cheering-exclude-deaf-people-national-union-student-conferences-a7707136.html

hodgynd
    Free Member

Mikewsmith
    Yes …I knowingly did ..as that was the same scenario when I attended my first match ..it happens !
    I’ve just watched the highlights of the Man.City game where two of their players ( as an example ) used the “F” word when missing a chance to score ( Mane & Sterling )..not only did Sky highlight this but showed it again as a replay )..
    So go on ..tell me I was a bad parent ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed to really but saying we did something for 50 years isn’t a reason to carry on doing it. Maybe sky need to think a bit more before showing that as a replay?
    It’s also possible to shout, cheer, chant and get frustrated without a volley of swearing and crude chants.

weeksy

How about making it a more welcoming place for families? Would you take a 5 or 6 year old to see their first game if they were going to listen to swearing for 90 minutes

Yes. Because it’s part of everyday life, just walking down the road etc.

I took my lad to Anfield at 6 years old, he’s been a few times since. We’ve also been to several Reading games and to Wembley.

I just accept there will be some swearing, he accepts it and doesn’t get all giddy about it etc.

edlong
    Free Member

We’ll have an edict before long saying no clapping at football just like they do in student politics.

No we won’t, that’s total bollocks and you know it. We’re talking about racism in football stadia. The extremes of student politics are utterly irrelevant.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Mike look at the finals of any athletics event, its clear there is a physiological difference. It’s now medically proven

What’s your point? What is medically proven?

Edit- In fairness I have had a look now, and the balance of evidence supports Jamba’s point. White folks are good at throwing things.

Oh and jumping over things with a stick, they are good at that too. Easy to forget.

giantalkali
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Political correctness gone mad. We’ve had the same nonsense at Spurs about singing being the “Yid Army”, thats done with pride and showing solidarity with a persecuted group.

I know a handful of Spurs fans who had no idea that it was anything to do with Jews, derogatory or otherwise. Just goes to show football fans are both intrinsically racist and stupid, not somewhere I’d be taking my child.

We go to yachting regattas where there are fewer **** s.

And the Redbull Hardline event, but will the Bentley manage the mud?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Who cares ..

phil40
    Free Member

I took my 7yr old to watch England play at Wembley as a mate got some tickets and said it would be an amazing experience! Yep won’t be doing that again, wall to wall swearing and offensive remarks, cursing the referee when he actually penalised a player, thankfully my son got bored during the second half and we left. He comment was that football was ok, but he preferred it when we went to watch rugby!

London Irish games, loads of families and children, specific family friendly areas, even outside of those areas language is ‘moderated’ as soon as they realise children are nearby!

csb

My 5 year old watched the athletics and noted that the whole line up for the sprints were black athletes. What’s the pc way of explaining that it’s because they’re physically suited to running fast? Without suggesting that because someone is black they are more likely to be good at it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the pc way of explaining that it’s because they’re physically suited to running fast? Without suggesting that because someone is black they are more likely to be good at it?

these guys are the best at the moment.

ajantom

Mike look at the finals of any athletics event, its clear there is a physiological difference. It’s now medically proven

No it isn’t. I just a read a very good book by Dr Adam Rutherford (R4 Inside Science, geneticist, etc.) where he discusses the idea of race and genetics, and explains very clearly that any idea of racial superiority, be it intelligence or sporting prowess is total fallacy.

So, yes to say that ‘they’ are faster, stronger, cleverer, stupider, bigger dicked, or whatever, is inherently racist.

csb

My daughter isn’t stupid, she can see when there’s a noteworthy pattern or regularity to something. So why are they all black?

kimbers

jambalaya – Member

Oh wow, so much ignorance….

Some black people may be better at running than some white people but there is vastly more genetic diversity in the population of Africa than the whole of the rest of the world combined (hence Out of Africa theory so robust)

Using skin colour as an indicator of sporting prowess is exactly the kind of misinformed tripe that perpetuates stereotypes & racism

ajantom

My daughter isn’t stupid, she can see when there’s a noteworthy pattern or regularity to something. So why are they all black?

There are many reasons, just not genetic ones.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Did she notice that the pole vaulters were white?

ajantom

The human genome project, and the ongoing mapping of our genomes now shows that we all have a common ancestor much more recently than we thought.

In the U.K. You only have to go back 900 years to find we are all related. In Europe it’s about 1200 years, and worldwide 3500 years! We are ALL related, and quite recently too!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Back in the day we had a chat at Celtic – “He’s fat he’s round, he worth a Million pound – Mark McGhee – Mark McGhee” – now that was an insult he was clearly worth £2M.

ajantom

What’s the pc way of explaining that it’s because they’re physically suited to running fast?

Try explanaing that there are social and monetary reasons for different athletes being from different backgrounds.

Availability of training, costs of equipment, etc.

Is it coincidence that all the best rowers are tall,white, and went to public schools and Oxbridge?

jonnyboi

So, Is it ok if I make up a song about jambalaya having a tiny penis?

ajantom

Yes, yes it is.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Did she notice that the pole vaulters were white?

Shot putters? Discus throwers? Equestrian events? Anything else did she notice any all white events and consider it worth commenting on? Just wondering, ‘cos you know,there are some hereditary traits which aren’t genetic.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

In all my years as a fisherman (angler) I’ve never seen a black person fishing.
    I can only conclude that I’m better suited to it physiologically. Obviously.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘This football chant racism business, really?’ is closed to new replies.