Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 217 total)
  • This football chant racism business, really?
  • scotroutes

It is an interesting read but still fails to explain the dominance of black runners in the sprint and long-distance events.

The high numbers of white competitors in the more technical events, and those that require expensive facilities, is easily explained by the cost and opportunity thing. I’d even buy that the wider the talent pool, the more likely it is that the top athletes will emerge, and that many potential caucasian stars never make it big due to being sidetracked into other careers. What are the other factors?

And to further complicate it, why aren’t more of the 1.4Bn Chinese succeeding in these events? I’d have thought that’s a wide talent pool and that the government would encourage the top competitors to come through with equipment, facilities and coaching.

pondo

Can I just add on the swearing in public thing that I heard some charmer yesterday call his 7 or 8 year old crying son a c***, from across the road, still wishing I’d gone and said something. 🙁

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The high numbers of white competitors in the more technical events, and those that require expensive facilities, is easily explained by the cost and opportunity thing. I’d even buy that the wider the talent pool, the more likely it is that the top athletes will emerge, and that many potential caucasian stars never make it big due to being sidetracked into other careers. What are the other factors?

It kind of does – genetic variation is the widest in Africa. Which, means that there is more variation within their population than between the African continent and Europe. That makes it even harder to make sweeping generalisations about Africans as a whole. We are a more homogenous, inbred population – making broad sweeping genetic generalisations about us…actually easier. This means you get more statistical outliers – that may contribute to good sporting performance. Some scholars argue that in the future, they’ll be producing a lot of the worlds nobel prize winners as well.

aracer
    Free Member

There’s are some non-racist explanations for that one I think – the pool of possible competitors is way, way smaller than that, partially because a lot of them are living in relative poverty with poor nutrition, partially because most of those don’t do competitive sport at a level where they might be spotted. Clearly Chinese athletes have done very well at some events though – lots of good female distance runners in the 90s…

scotroutes

Cool. Thanks.

And swimmers…

I’m still surprised we’ve not seen more coming through though, it being a “good” thing for promotion of the culture.

cubist
    Free Member

Apparently he’s a Belgian Genius, with a 24” Penis and scores all the goals while his bell end hangs by his toes.

I guess Belgians are well endowed.

I think it’s especially impressive to be playing top flight proffesional football with a sub 24inch inside leg.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks.

But I’d caveat that with what he explains towards the end of the wall of text.

All other things being equal (which of course they never are) my genetic ability to process oxygen via a gene called ACE is no different from most Africans, though not many East Africans. Similarly, a particular version of the gene alpha-actinin-3, which is associated with the fast-twitch muscle fibre, is present in successful black sprinters, but is not exclusive to Africans, or indeed any particular regional or cultural group within Africa. A thorough 2014 review by the Brazilian sports scientist Rodrigo Vancini of the scientific literature on the genetics of African athletes concluded that the studies of the variation in these two genes, the ones most frequently associated with black sporting success, ‘do not fully explain the success of these athletes. It seems unlikely that Africa is producing unique genotypes that cannot be found in other parts of the world.’

kerley
    Free Member

A good example is the GB cycling team (especially track cycling). We all know they didn’t have great success because British people are better at track cycling than other colours / nationalities but some of the posters on this thread would presumably come to that conclusion.

jwyeti
    Free Member

Just wait till they find out about Adebayor!

Junkyard
    Free Member

we are discussing races not nationalities so that is not a great example

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not an unreasonable way of proving the negative – that sporting success isn’t necessarily the result of superior genetics.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I thought we were discussing racism / and the size of a footballers knob in a chant ..which I found way more interesting than races / genetics.

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ aracer you need to use something at least genetically distinguishable and that is not a people from this country…whatever the brexiters say 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Took until page 5 for the first brexit reference.

Standards are slipping, I tell you. Standards are slipping.

bearnecessities

Brexist!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks

What you thanking Tom for! I’m sure I said all that stuff earlier, in more straightforward terms too!

Maybe.

But, I guess Tom is the biologist

aracer
    Free Member

I’m disappointed in him – we should treat those with a different biology equally.

Junkyard
    Free Member

even the ladies?

Cougar

I think it’s terrible that those biologs have been persecuted for so long.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Well gotta say ..I haven’t been re-involved with this forum for too long ..but it’s becoming very clear who to avoid whenever they contribute there tuppence worth ..undoubtably intelligent but dull..and with an obvious sense of humour bypass

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh lets play the guess which banned member has returned to tell us how rubbish it
    Can i guess at Graham please?

Klunk
    Free Member

and with an obvious sense of humour bypass

sounds like the “Edinburgh Defence”

scotroutes

Junkyard – lazarus
    oh lets play the guess which banned member has returned to tell us how rubbish it
    Can i guess at Graham please?

Nah. Too intelligent and articulate. Not enough bigotry.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Never been banned …havent been on for years ..and didn’t contribute much prior to this …
    It’s not too hard to find my identity if that bothers you ..but interesting to know that I’m not the first to notice ..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Never been banned …havent been on for years ..and didn’t contribute much prior to this

Or during this

hodgynd
    Free Member

Oh but I did earlier in the thread prior to your little clique changing the subject matter 😀

scotroutes

CharlieMungus – Member

Cool. Thanks

What you thanking Tom for! I’m sure I said all that stuff earlier, in more straightforward terms too![/quote]My straightforward question got a straightforward answer without cat-calling, rancour or abuse. It’s a shame more posters don’t follow that example.

aracer
    Free Member

Our little clique being pretty much the whole of STW – you should see how much thread drift we can get when we try.

ps – could you point out the humorous comments of yours we forgot to laugh at?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My straightforward question got a straightforward answer without cat-calling, rancour or abuse. It’s a shame more posters don’t follow that example

But I didn’t do any cat-calling or rancouring or abusing. 🙁

scotroutes

OK – let’s swing it back.

Are songs about the length of black players penises common in football grounds or has this chap been singled out? This is the first time I’ve heard of this issue, despite the fact we’ve had black players in professional football for decades. I’d have thought that if there were any racist overtones it would have cropped up before now.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh but I did earlier in the thread prior to your little clique changing the subject matter

You mean when you declared that if you were a pro footballer you would be chuffed if there was a terrace chant about your ‘old man’? That was your significant contribution?

Well, erm…thanks for the insight

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does it matter? The player has asked them to stop. What more is required?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Aracer..I think you are completely delusional if you think you speak for the whole of the forum 😆
    I’m not aware that I said anything that required you to laugh ..but I will let you know when I do ..
    Yeah Charlie ..thats part of what I responded with ..but obviously you are only seeing what you want to see..there was more..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Aracer..I think you are completely delusional if you think you speak for the whole of the forum

We had a vote, he is.

aracer
    Free Member
    hodgynd
    Free Member

I was thinking aloud earlier ..and wasn’t aware that I had named anyone in particular ..merely making an observation ..but hell if the cap fits ..
    Seems as though I’ve picked a scab that hasn’t healed ?
    As mentioned ..I now have a fair idea who to avoid ..as in the folks I find boring ..dont worry about it too much..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

My straightforward question got a straightforward answer without cat-calling, rancour or abuse. It’s a shame more posters don’t follow that example.

Straight forward questions get get straight forward answers, yours wasn’t a loaded question. So why should it?

CharlieMungus, I think has recieved some shit for questioning evolution is an older thread. Some new posts reveal that he’s actually been working a lot harder than most people to develop a better understanding of human genetics, it’s quite commendable – if a bit suprising as most do not.

This place get’s used to trolling, so some of the more errr robust responses take that into context. I’m guilty of it as well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trolling or robust responses 😈

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why thanks! Actually, I want questioning evolution, I was questioning people’s use of evolution as go to explanation of stuff when actually they don’t have a good understanding of it themselves and actually, end up being wrong as a result. In that respect I was trying to understand a bit more about genetics.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘This football chant racism business, really?’ is closed to new replies.