Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 217 total)
  • This football chant racism business, really?
  • teasel
    Free Member

My personal view is the fact the various races have their own strengths and weaknesses is one of the main things that has led to the world being so brilliantly diverse.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Psling how the **** can a song/chant about a black footballer be racist against white people? 😯

CountZero

My daughter isn’t stupid, she can see when there’s a noteworthy pattern or regularity to something. So why are they all black?

Quite possibly because many of the top runners, especially distance runners, come from Kenya and Ethiopia, and spend much of their time training and running at a higher altitude, which gives them a physiological advantage when competing at lower altitudes.
    That’s my understanding, I could be wrong, but I’m sure the point was made at some event or other.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

psling – Member
    I’m confused by the original controversy.
    Is it racist to black males because it stereotypes them as being well endowed or is it racist against white males because it suggests they may not be as well endowed? Or is it racist to anyone offended by it because they are, well… offended by it?

As said, it’s making assumption that is the problem here, reinforcing stereotypes etc.

psling
    Free Member

kennyp
    …and it become fairly obvious that black people are generally better runners than whites

Interestingly, in sprint events and in long distance events yes but not so obviously in middle distance events eg 800m, 1500m (generalising too!)

binners

As for the case mentioned, I don’t really follow football, but it seems to me the footballer chap in question is hugely popular with the fans (who are probably a mix of races), and the fans in question are singing a light hearted song that I’m sure he finds hilarious. I get the impression there are people out there determined so see racism in the slightest things, which is quite sad really, and does no-one any favours.

Nail.Head.

When the bedwetters start piddling their pants with indignation about irrelevant, harmless nonsense like this, it actually just detracts from genuine racism and bigotry, of which unfortunately theres still plenty. Proper racism is nasty and malicious. This is neither of those things.

I think a lot of this particular storm in a teacup boils down to some people just having it drawn to their attention that people say things on football terraces that might cause someone to choke on their sauvignon blanc if repeated at a dinner party

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

My black friends have a terrible taste in music. However they say the same about me, although to be honest so do most of my white friends.

Which is likely cultural, not genetic.

My black friends have a terrible taste in music. However they say the same about me, although to be honest so do most of my white friends.

Which can quickly become an excuse to tarnish individuals with the idea that they have a propensity to criminality.

You’ll be the first one complaining if AI facial recognition technology decides that you might be a bit more likely to disposed to a bit of noncing, in 2035.

psling
    Free Member

Tom B – Member 
    Psling how the **** can a song/chant about a black footballer be racist against white people?

Well, it very much depends if the chant is meant to be supportive or derogatory of the player. If it’s supportive then I’m sure it’s not intended to be racist against the player so it’s like mikewsmith says “As said, it’s making assumption that is the problem here, reinforcing stereotypes etc.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Woah ..Ive been away from this thread for 30 mins and things have been moving along ..
    Thanks for the reply mikewsmith ..at least I now understand why you always answer in riddles and seem incapable of giving a straight answer ..quite why it didn’t occur to me before ..
    You live down under so it therefore follows that your head is up your arse ..not meaning in anyway to be remotely racist or derogatory to our antipodean cousins..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You live down under so it therefore follows that your head is up your arse ..not meaning in anyway to be remotely racist or derogatory to our antipodean cousins..

Well if that didn’t make sense it’s probably lost on you.
    If you make assumptions about people’s skills, ability, attributes or personality based on the colour of their skin it’s racist. Is that confusing or a riddle?

aracer
    Free Member

Or maybe it’s just a stereotype. Already discussed, but you can’t think of a single other reason why most (all?) Olympic swimmers are white?

Same goes for other aspects of life. A classical music orchestra will be comprised almost exclusively of European and Far Eastern musicians, as will the audience.

Presumably that’s also because of physiological differences in the audience?

Think what food in the UK would be like if we hadn’t had folk from other cultures bring us all their varied delicious cuisines.

Good point – because the French are clearly physiologically superior at cooking.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Mike ..you still haven’t answered my question ..so let me simplify things for you ..
    If a black person makes a comment to another black person that would be deemed racist if said to that black person by a white person ..is that still a racist comment ?
    A very simple yes or no will suffice .
    Thanks !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If a black person makes a comment to another black person that would be deemed racist if said to that black person by a white person ..is that still a racist comment ?

Where was that question?
    apart from whataboutery no idea, and has nothing to do with this chant or context or even your football am question does it.
    If you want to answer one, does the definition I posted make any sense to you?

aracer
    Free Member

Yes. Because it’s part of everyday life, just walking down the road etc.[/quote]

You must walk down different roads to me – I’m guessing roads with lots of football supporters going to or from a match. I’m really struggling to think of having ever been walking down a road and hearing lots of people chanting or shouting swear words, let alone continuously every time I walk down the road.

There does seem to be a lot of defending the indefensible goes on regarding football.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Personally I’d be quite happy with that chant directed at me 🙂

For the people asking how to explain the difficulties of diversity at sprint / distance running lineups at Olympic events – below are some interesting points of view. It’s genetics, not race that get you a ticket to compete. If you have the right genetic makeup then physiology, training, investment, coaching etc come into play….

http://run-down.com/guests/je_black_athletes_p2.php

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2008/12/white_men_cant_jump.html

I can’t wait to read about the science behind football chants and if / how they alter match outcome…

psling
    Free Member

hodgynd – Member 
    Mike ..you still haven’t answered my question ..so let me simplify things for you ..
    A very simple yes or no will suffice .
    Thanks !

I would have thought the simple answer is ‘possibly’ or even ‘probably’!

ps I am not Mike…

Sandwich

There were even people claiming he wasn’t making the GB team due to racism. No, it was because he was nowhere near good enough.

Or it could be that he wasn’t in with the right crowd in horse circles. Having had a family member compete at international level for UK she left because the incompetent were being preferred due to who they know.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So, Is it ok if I make up a song about jambalaya having a tiny penis?

Be my guest

hodgynd
    Free Member

Cheers Mike ..I simplified the question for you ..but if you care to look back ..
    Thanks for the yes or no answer ..dont think I could have handled another riddle ..
    Yes I will concede that my question has nothing to do with how the original thread started ..but then again the whole thread has moved away from that into a question of what denotes racism..
    If you don’t mind ..Im not going to engage with you any further for no other reason than the fact that I find you terribly dull ..sorry !

FeeFoo
    Free Member

When the bedwetters start piddling their pants with indignation about irrelevant, harmless nonsense like this, it actually just detracts from genuine racism and bigotry, of which unfortunately theres still plenty. Proper racism is nasty and malicious. This is neither of those things.

I think a lot of this particular storm in a teacup boils down to some people just having it drawn to their attention that people say things on football terraces that might cause someone to choke on their sauvignon blanc if repeated at a dinner party

I get this totally, but this kind of background noise low level stereotyping keeps racists happy and gives them the confirmation bias they crave.
    I know this seems like a storm in a teacup but I’d rather have that if it continues to stamp out bigotry than not.

Drac

Skeete was a Pro rider he didn’t make the team GB no but didn’t he want to represent Barbados anyway?

He never made it to world championship level no but guess what, he wasn’t white which is the point as according to CM only white people compete in equestrian.

binners

Dear everyone

Could you please, please, please stop singing songs implying that I’ve got an absolutely enormous nob? its demeaning

Thanks

Romelu

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

kennyp » I’m not expert on physiology but spend even a little time watching the Olympics and it become fairly obvious that black people are generally better runners than whites (other races are available) whereas white people are better swimmers than black. There will be exceptions, but as a general ‘stereotype” it’s obviously true.

Logic fail, you might say the best runners are black but you cannot generalise that black people are better runners. That’s part of the great genetic diversity within any population.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For those who like to brush it all under the carpet maybe have a read

Kick It Out saw a rise in its
    reporting statistics for the
    2016/17 season, with an overall
    increase of 16.7% from the
    previous campaign.
    The reports were received from
    xtures in the Premier League, EFL,
    non-league football, grassroots as well
    as discrimination which took place on
    social media.
    The most notable rise came in the
    professional game, where reports
    rose by 59% from the previous season.
    Nearly half of reports related to
    race (48%), with 21% relating to
    HBT (Homophobic, Biphobic and
    Transphobic) discrimination with 17%
    faith related. The organisation also
    received several reports relating to
    gender and disability discrimination.

http://www.kickitout.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/1953_Kick-It-Out_Annual-Report_Web.pdf

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I believe the premier league clubs are governed by collective responsibility, ie responsible for their fans behaviour, and that they all sign up to KROOF rules.

If that is the case, then Man U have no choice other than to investigate, at least show they are doing something.

So it’s not really about whether we deem it racist or not.

weeksy

You must walk down different roads to me – I’m guessing roads with lots of football supporters going to or from a match. I’m really struggling to think of having ever been walking down a road and hearing lots of people chanting or shouting swear words, let alone continuously every time I walk down the road.

There does seem to be a lot of defending the indefensible goes on regarding football.

My point wasn’t that chanting and singing swear words were part of every day life, but certainly swearing is, you go to a pub, people swear, hell, you hear swearing in the supermarket, you even hear it in PG rated movies, we were watching the 1970s version of Cannonball Run with Burt Reynolds last night and heared “shit” at least 3 times.
    You can’t avoid the fact that in normal walks of life people swear, it’s just how it is.

I’m also wondering why all sprinters are black, if it’s not for the fact sprinters are genetically better when they’re black. None of the bedwetters seem to have answered it yet. Surely in schools etc all the kids get equal chances on sports days etc and if a white kid was a sprinting god then he’d get noticed by someone. But as seen in the pics, the 100m is massively dominated by black riders, why is that then Stw?

Drac

It has been answered more than once.

Rockape63
    Free Member

My 5 year old watched the athletics and noted that the whole line up for the sprints were black athletes.

Racist innit….the whiteys have been excluded!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So apart from world class whataboutery going on to avoid some of the awkward stuff do you actually have a point?
    Yes people also swear, they do it in pubs but that is separate from the throwing crude casual racism about there. I’m sure we can agree on that

martinhutch

Perhaps Carling Opta could do some research on knob size among premiership players and publish the results, allowing fans to base their chants on the player’s genuine centile performance, rather than just some flimsy assumptions.

There is no problem which can’t be solved by rigorous data-collection.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Which reminds me of a joke I heard many moons ago.

A Explorer was push through into deepest darkest Africa when he came out onto a riverbank and saw a large Black man washing in the river. He was completely astounded by the mans enormous chopper, the like of which he’d never seen before. He asked if he could take a photo of the amazing appendage and after much surprise and confusion, the man asked what all the fuss was about….as didn’t a white mans penis shrink in cold water!

jonnyboi

Dear everyone

Could you please, please, please stop singing songs implying that I’ve got an absolutely enormous nob? its demeaning

Thanks

Romelu

So it’s presumably ok to replace enormous penis with, bigger lips, a wider nose, or curlier hair without being racist, no?

psling
    Free Member

jonnyboi – Member 

So it’s presumably ok to replace enormous penis with, bigger lips, a wider nose, or curlier hair without being racist, no?

Oh dear. That is probably a racist comment because it could be construed that by your implication you are stereotyping that those attributes are both negative and specific to black people.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Oh dear. That is probably a racist comment because it could be construed that by your implication you are stereotyping that those attributes are both negative and specific to black people.

Also because a certain brand of woman will objectify them to the the point that having a big dong is the defining characteristic of black men.

The same with a certain brand of creepy male who goes out their way to bang Asian women, because…. theyre apparently subservient and have small pussies.

Then this feeds all the othet racists who assume youre dating him or her because they have a massive cock or because theyre meek.

Most of the righties on here never have to deal with that.

Rockape63
    Free Member

The same with a certain brand of creepy male who goes out their way to bang Asian women, because…. theyre apparently subservient and have small pussies.

Good grief!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyway, back to actual racism….to notice a particular race have particularly athletic attributes is not racist. To suggest they are good runners, cos they are always nicking handbags and running off…is!

Simples really!

ajantom

kennyp » I’m not expert on physiology but spend even a little time watching the Olympics and it become fairly obvious that black people are generally better runners than whites (other races are available) whereas white people are better swimmers than black.

Yes, you are obviously not an expert, well done.

Neither am I, but I’ve read a fair bit by some of them, and you’d be hard pressed to find a single one of them who agrees with you.

I’m assuming you’re of the mind (à la Michael Gove) that experts are not to be trusted, and that we should all base our unfounded preconceptions on baseless stereotypes.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ll let you into a secret… Not all black people are good at running.

It is not reasonable to say any particular race have particular athletic attributes.

aracer
    Free Member

Again I think you must go to different supermarkets to me. Sure people swear – I have been known to swear (though I did once get a comment from somebody that I must be really angry when I swore as they’d never heard me swear before). But if you accept people don’t chant and sing swear words elsewhere then your point is a bit strawmanny.

Because the original point was:

Yes. Because it’s part of everyday life, just walking down the road etc.[/quote]

and no I wouldn’t take a 5yo to a pub where everybody was swearing continuously – though somehow I manage to go to the pub with a group who don’t do that. But just walking down the road, around the supermarket etc., even my experience of going to the pub is a totally different atmosphere in those terms to what you get at a typical football match.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘This football chant racism business, really?’ is closed to new replies.