Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Third guitar thread of 2011
  • dogbert
    Free Member

I’ve been playing for years, completely untrained, no lessons whatsoever.

The thing is although I can play a nice tune or two I’m started to get to the end of my abilities and it’s becoming a little frustrating. I think it would be a good idea to learn some scales at least (all my playing is chord based and I can’t play any solos or more complex riffs without tripping over my own fingers)

So as there are a few guitarists on here, where would be the best place to start? I’m guessing pentatonic scales.

(I like playing americana style music and blues, not really a massive fan of nu-metal style guitar but the odd power chord never goes a miss)

Thanks

tyger
    Free Member

Try Justin Guitar on the net 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

do you tend to strum or use a pick? if so there’s a whole garden of delights waiting for you, follow the signs that read “fingerpicking”.

dogbert
    Free Member

I tend to use a pick

MrNutt
    Free Member

lose the pick, use your fingers. You’ll have a lot more fun!

swiss01
    Free Member

rather than start a new guitar thread i have a question. what was that wee box thing folk were on about on here prior to christmas, that you can plug in with your headphones and get all manner of effects without having to bother with anything else? ta.

and +1 for mr nutt

chipps

There are many boxes of fun you can buy – but you could try the Pocket Pod – around £60 and it has many great sounds within. You can even plug it into a stereo or PA if you want to rock out more.

timdrayton
    Free Member

chips or anyone

I want to get “the edge” type shimmer and delay (and ideally a K T Tunstall type loop thing too), is there anything i can get that does it all?

failing that just the shimmer and delay?

dogbert
    Free Member

Edge uses a Memory Box

set up

seosamh77
    Free Member

lose the pick, use your fingers. You’ll have a lot more fun!

lose the steel strings aswell. 🙂

chipps

KT Tunstall uses an Akai Headrush – which you can also use as a delay (though not both at the same time)
    http://www.akaipro.com/e2headrush

Nice pedal.

Dogbert – that may be true, but it’s a rather simplified version of his actual live rig 🙂

lodious
    Free Member

So as there are a few guitarists on here, where would be the best place to start?

IMHO, the best place to start is finding a good teacher. I’m learning drums at the moment (been playing guitar for year though), and some of the faults in my drumming would be impossible to identify without a good teacher sitting with you as you play, to work out what can be improved.

organic355
    Free Member

Why not try and learn this Floyd solo! (I am still trying).

Dont be put off by the guy, this is an excellent lesson

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdIjuTAiWtI[/video]

chipps

You can learn the basics online or in books. Then try out a teacher who can help you progress in the way that you want. Then you need to get out and play with others – even if you’re all a bit rubbish, it’s great fun. I was a bedroom guitarist for years, and discovered that my timing and sense of other instruments was awful. I’m now a little better 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

have a look at the technique section of the music radar guitar forum. trawl through and you will find loads of similar people have similar issues. some good advice to be found.

i’ve also just read ‘zen guitar’ which is quite thought provoking.

i am coming to the conclusion that i just want to be able to chose a song and learn to lay it to a level i’m happy with. indeed thats why i picked up a guitar 4 years ago and gave it ago, but sadly kind of lost way a little on that. i read a great definition the other day… ‘3 chord hobbysist’. thats me!

so right now my level is a bunch of basic chords and i’m really comfortable with them.

going back to losing my way… the problem i have realized was from trying to learn just from books and dvds, and why my playing stagnated for the best part of 2 years, is that whilst i enjoy working at new techniques i cannot find the interest to work on musical examples that i’m unlikely ever to play again after progressing to the next chapter. so basically i was spending all my efort trying to learn something the book said i should whilst what i really wanted to do was learn ‘the man who sold the world’ for example.

now i’ve got a couple of you-tube derived song lessons i’m enjoying working on right now (i can play them, i can@t sing and play just yet… damn that bits hard), and the next couple of songs are ready to go. i also feel comfortable enough now, and for me this is huge progress, taking a simple song i love, that perish the thought there is no youtube lesson for, and having a go (bowie’s ‘bewlay brothers’ if you want to know) trying to pick out the strumming patter by ear.

but at the same time i’m working through an electric blues set of dvds and soaking up the (new to me) techniques (but not getting to hung up on not being able to rattle of the example tracks to perfection). and i also had a look last night at the new intermediate method on juistinguitar and again whilst i can’t see any relevance to what i currently play i will go through it because its more skills i can use and maybe develop as needs arise.

wish i could afford lessons though.

NorthShaun
    Free Member

Wot Chipps said! Its always good to play with others. Surprised no one’s mentioned Amplitubes iRig! £24 for jack-plug connection, £10 for software at iTunes, and you’ve got all manner of effects, cabs, amps etc!

Go check it out!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Third guitar thread of 2011’ is closed to new replies.