• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by burt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Things to do in York?
  • 40mpg

Taking the family to York at the weekend, never been before. To be honest I have great expectations – everyone I have spoken to says its a really great place.

Any suggestions for must see/do so we are not disappointed?

spesh
    Free Member

Two things that spring to mind are the Yorvik (Jorvik ??) centre and the railway museum (if you’re that way inclined)

robgarrioch

That there church is quite good, they’re a bit touchy about taking any souvenirs off the walls though; Jeez….

Maybe not of too much interest to kids , ‘mind. In which case, wire them to the ears with the incredible amount of sweet-shops everywhere!
    Jorvik has a moderate-fun mono-rail trip through a viking village too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As above – the Jorvik Cente and the railway museum (free entry to the train museum).

Of an evening you could take the kids on a ghost walk (if they are old enough).

You should also walk the city walls during the day.

And take a boat trip – you can do ones where they stop off for a BBQ at a pub too.

It is a lovely place – I am sure you won’t be disappointed.

wl
    Free Member

Museum Gardens are nice, central and good for a picnic. Pay a little extra to go up the tower of the Minster for cracking views of the city. The Shambles is cute in a ye-olde-world kind of way. Explore the labyrinthine snickleways to escape the crowds. Tourist Info will have more ideas.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

We found the Castle museum interesting too. There are a few ‘ghost walk’ type things about, the one that starts by the Abbey west door was very good.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

start off with a walk around the walls so you get to see where everything is and then wander along the shambles -other people have mentioned the attractions but there are so many lovey old buildings to look and , or the river to walk along that theres a lot for free before you start going in museums etc

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

other people have mentioned the attractions but there are so many lovey old buildings to look and , or the river to walk along

But he is going with kids so I guess people were thining of kid-friendly options.

If it were me and there were no kids it would be The Maltings, The Yorkshire Terrier and Evil Eye.
    8)

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I’d have thought kids would love running along the walls but I was laways a skinflint with mine som maybe I was looking at free/kinderfriendly delights

cbrsyd
    Free Member

York Dungeons are good.

Re-enactments of of all sorts of gruesome and grisly events, my kids loved it.

neninja
    Free Member

2nd the above.

The National Railway Museum is well worth a visit for all ages even if you’re not into trains.

Castle Museum is good – the kids enjoyed the old jail there.

York Minster – impressive
    Guy Fawkes house (now a pub) is an interesting place to stop for a drink given it’s history (and they serve a decent pint)

There are lots of river trips and open top buses too

silverT4
    Free Member

York Brewery tour. Has to be experienced to be believed.

40mpg

Cheers guys, some good ideas there. The girls are 12 and 15 so shopping is their main priority. I’ll wander along and take in the sites, generally steer them in interesting directions, sit in coffee shops (am) or hopefully The Maltings, Terrier or Evil Eye (pm)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Evil Eye gets very busy though so get in early for some great cocktails.

The other two are proper drinking pubs with real beers.

You could also go to the Kings Arms on Kings Staith (by the river – it’s the one that gets in all the photographs as it is always being flooded). Unfortunately (for most people) it is a Sam Smiths pub so very much an acquired taste.

uwe-r
    Free Member

We did this recently – the consensus was that the jorvik thing was/is poop!

robh

2nd Castle Museum and Railway Museum.
    There also used to be a Museum of the Automatron which had good thinks to watch and fiddle with for kids.

burt
    Free Member

the Jorvik Center smells real bad!! made me feel quite ill.
    if you like trains then take a trip to pickering and get the steam train to whitby and back, a great day out.
    we really enjoyed the ghost walk, but it really depends who you get, ours was really funny.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in York?’ is closed to new replies.