Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Things learnt from my first national at the weekend…
  • flange
    Free Member

1) EVERYONE is on a 29er….well nearly everyone
    2) I’m not fast. I’m not even close to fast.
    3) Everyone else is. VERY. Top sport rider wasn’t that far off the lap times of the Expert/Elite
    4) National courses are much more technical than XC races I’ve done before. Normally I pick up a fair few places on the singletrack, not here, not even close.
    5) There are a LOT of crashes.
    6) a curry and 5 hours sleep isn’t the best preparation for a national the next day
    7) I’m not fast

Awesome day yesterday despite a rubbish result and a crash (my first at a race). Hope the chap that was airlifted is OK. Weather was lovely, track was really good (if relentless) and a massive eye-opener to how fast the fast boys (and girls) really are.

twinklydave

Dusty, buff singletrack = scary speeds 🙂

It was fast, wasn’t it!

I was delighted by the lack of ‘egos’…having stepped away from XC racing for a few years everyone seemed a lot more cheerful than I remembered.
    In fact I managed to have a laugh while racing (which is my “why I didn’t win” excuse). Great fun!

njee20
    Free Member

That was the slowest Sherwood course I’ve ever done! Good fun though.

I learnt not to get involved in pile ups at the start, and not to land on my head. It hurts and it’s made a right mess of my helmet.

I think I deserve an award too, bought a new Rocket Ron, fitted it, ripped it in the crash. £45 tyre, so that’s nearly £8 per second of use.

I enjoyed the 4 laps I bimbled over the weekend. Slightly frustrating not to actually get a race, but hey ho, I didn’t go home in the air ambulance, unlike the fellow I hit, so it really could’ve been worse! Hope he’s alright…

DT78
    Free Member

I wonder if people are riding 29ers because they are sponsored to do so or if they are genuinely faster?

I keep thinking my old anthem needs to be replaced with a nice carbon clown bike.

flange
    Free Member

It was a proper eye opener in every aspect. Stood at the start of the Sport race, I looked around trying to gauge where I’d fall in terms of fitness – basically everyone was a leg shaved, 29er riding whippet. Gun goes and everyone just pisses off into the distance, followed by a large crash, then more of the same.

The Elites were pretty cool as well – made sure I got myself out the way as soon as they shouted they were behind and most if not all thanked me. Paul Oldham even had time for some banter – legend!

retro83
    Free Member

I think I deserve an award too, bought a new Rocket Ron, fitted it, ripped it in the crash. £45 tyre, so that’s nearly £8 per second of use.

😯

but hey ho, I didn’t go home in the air ambulance, unlike the fellow I hit, so it really could’ve been worse! Hope he’s alright…

😯

flange
    Free Member

DT78 – nope, a lot of the riders aren’t sponsored (or at least didn’t look to be) and were riding big wheels just because they seemed faster. There was only one bit just before the start finish where I think you’d have struggled compared to a 26er. That said, Luke Smith who won the Masters didn’t seem to be held back by not being on one..

MikeWW
    Free Member

Was a good weekend. Good weather and great racing
    Looked a nasty crash in the experts and I do hope the guy that the immobilisation of the guy that was air lifted away was just precautionary
    Matt Gee who won the Sports category was on 26″ wheels as was my lad Alex who won the Juniors. The Torque team issued their taller riders with 29ers for the season but the shorter guys are all on normal wheels.
    Interestingly flange, Sherwood is less technical than many of the courses. Its Dalby next and Worry Gill and Medusas are not for the faint hearted.Last time I raced there I ended up in Scarborough A and E with a dislocated shoulder!

flange
    Free Member

Haha brilliant – as I managed to fall off yesterday I may as well ring them up and forewarn them!

For a laugh (well, semi seriously) I might stick my dropper post on. Then I can get all Gnarr on the drops and still be able to climb.

Had a look at Ben Prices 29er Whyte yesterday – they’re a lovely looking bit of kit!

footflaps

The NPS is pretty brutal – everyone is uber fit. I used to train 16 hours a week when I rode Sport. Unless you put the hours in or are a genetic freak you’ll get left for dead by the leaders, even in Sport. As for Masters – it’s even worse, full of Elites avoiding racing with the big boys!

Conan257
    Free Member

Is the Sherwood course going to be covered over now? Saw it a few times while shooting around the Red and wouldn’t mind a blast at some point.

portlyone

I thought 650b was the new 29?!

andrewh
    Free Member

National courses are much more technical than XC races I’ve done before

😯 Sherwood?
    Have you been doing Southerns before? Clearly haven’t done Scottish XC!

flange
    Free Member

Worse, easterns

andrewh
    Free Member

😀

techsmechs
    Free Member

*waves*

I was the Sport rider that ended up my arse at the start yesterday, some stupid argey bargey, someone hooked my bars and levered my front wheel off the floor. All I can remember is trying to grab my bike as I slid along the grass on my back. Not a scratch on me. Been a long time since I rode a national and had my arse handed to me.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes if you thought that was technical flange Dalby will be a real eye opener! I’d say a dropper post is a good shout. Take your climbing legs too, about 3x as much climbing as yesterday.

flange
    Free Member

Brilliant – you’ve seen how I’m built, I’m no Contador*…..

*thats not a reference to doping btw

nick3216
    Free Member

Well done for admitting points 2 and 7 to yourself.

Hope you’re up for more.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Your experience sounds exactly like mine was last year at Sherwood Flange!! Big step up from regional level!

Don’t worry about how quick the winner of sport was-he is/was a pro, and rode for Raleigh last year. He’s an Elite on the road, and rather fast-pretty daft that he’s in sport imo.

flange
    Free Member

Tom B – you’ve made my morning!

I’ve thought about it a fair bit since the weekend and whilst at first I was a bit ‘well there’s clearly no way I’ll ever be that fast’, its since changed to ‘Hmmm, maybe if I did this/did that/Stopped doing that’. Anyway, training in anger now for Dalby

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Current/recent pros riding in Sport? Toss like that has always put me off XC racing.

hels
    Free Member

Thats a bit harsh ormonroyd. Its shocking how fast a person can lose fitness when they stop training 30 hour pw. All the recent-pros are doing is racing in the correct age category as BC rules, and training about the same as anybody else in that cat. How is that no fair ?? They should trail around at the back of the elites behind people that train full time, just because once upon a time, back in the day, they pulled on a pro jersey ? Find another reason for being a bit rubbish mate.

And we all know roadies are useless on a mtb…

njee20
    Free Member

Current/recent pros riding in Sport? Toss like that has always put me off XC racing.

He won by 6 seconds, 3rd was a further 53 seconds behind, hardly a ringer! The top 19 were within 5 minutes, which makes it closer than Elite, Expert, Master, Vets and Grand Vets. Ie, it was the closest race of the day!

Abarthchris
    Free Member

I’ve thought about it a fair bit since the weekend and whilst at first I was a bit ‘well there’s clearly no way I’ll ever be that fast’, its since changed to ‘Hmmm, maybe if I did this/did that/Stopped doing that’. Anyway, training in anger now for Dalby

Maybe if you stopped smoking you’d do better!

rone

I shot some video of Sunday if you want a look.

http://www.facebook.com/sherwoodpinescc

Just a bit down page. You don’t need to be a member of FB to view.

flange
    Free Member

Rone – thats ace, really good video. I notice the ‘Red’ logo at the end, did you use one of those fancy dan Red One cameras?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Think he’s riding for Metaltek Scott this year…..he’s definitely an Elite on the road and rode for Raleigh last year-think he was the youngest domestic pro last year……he’s a nice guy and a very talented rider-think he won an E,1,2 circuit race last weekend and finished about 12th in the Eddie Soens too.

njee20
    Free Member

Think he’s riding for Metaltek Scott this year…..he’s definitely an Elite on the road and rode for Raleigh last year-think he was the youngest domestic pro last year

Sure you’re right, but I’m surprised that:

a) BC gave an Elite road rider a Sport licence, Elite MTBers get 2nd cat by default, or Elite if they’re top 20, irrespective of whether they’ve raced on the road before.

b) he didn’t win by more!

Good video rone, still want to find a video of the crash in Expert, want to know what happened! And I’m morbid.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah I was surprised that he was given a sport licence-can’t really comment on the winning margin…..the front of the race in sport always seems to be mental fast though! Last years winnner won the expert race this year!

How did the bike come out of the crash Nick?

njee20
    Free Member

Last years winnner won the expert race this year!

Aye he’s bloody quick! Seems to struggle on hilly courses though, interesting to see how he goes at Dalby!

Bike basically unscathed miraculously! Bars scratched from where the brake lever spun round, small scuff on saddle, and the torn tyre, but otherwise seems fine.

Considering Niall and Joe’s frames were broken and Dan’s front wheel resembled a Pringle I’m chuffed!

flange
    Free Member

Last years winnner won the expert race this year!

Jason Boutell? Apparently he’s a Moto-x guy who does this for a bit of training? Not sure how true that is (heard it second/third hand)

Tom-B
    Free Member

If he does it for a bit of training then he does it very well!

richardk
    Free Member

That video makes it look really quick 😯

njee20
    Free Member

He is a moto crosser certainly, he’s only come to it fairly recently, don’t know if he’s only doing it for training – he seems to do all the races, not sure where he’d fit in MX as well.

flange
    Free Member

Apparently he’s a semi-pro Mx’er but he’s clearly very talented on mtb’s.

clubber
    Free Member

I heard that he eats petrol for breakfast and when he pisses, it’s pure engine oil. Oh and that he turned down a well known, stunning Hollywood actress to focus on his racing

😉

xc-steve
    Free Member

Jason won every sport race last year except Wasing (which is flat), so if he’s not a good climber then he’s an odd way of showing it!

@flange Last year I finished 22nd at Sherwood Pines in sport, then finished 4th in Dalby so Chin up Dalby scares the roadies so they don’t turn up!

njee20
    Free Member

Apparently he’s a semi-pro Mx’er but he’s clearly very talented on mtb’s.

Like I say, he manages to do the entire season of MTB racing, he did the winter Thetford and Gorrick events, I’d suggest his focus has shifted… But yes, he’s a strong rider. There’s usually at least one rider who dominates sport, then dominate expert the next year. Sadly I did pretty well in sport and have never replicated that in expert 😕

rone

@flange – yes we’ve just updated to a RED Scarlet and RED Epic and I was giving it a fairly leisurely test. thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Things learnt from my first national at the weekend…’ is closed to new replies.