Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Thieving scumbags
  • Flaperon

Just had a parcel nicked from my postbox (one of those wall-mounted jobbies that services a block of flats). I saw the postman put it in as I headed off to work this morning, and when I got back this evening it had gone. Suspect local yoof has managed to get their hand into the flap and pull it out.

The good news is that this won’t happen again, ‘cos I’ve just superglued two strips of carpet gripper inside the box with the spikes pointing downwards. Won’t damage the post (or the postie!) but will prove to be a very unpleasant surprise to the next person to shove their hand deep into the box through the flap. Await results with baited breath.

darrell
    Free Member

you’ll get done for assault

baa
    Free Member

video please 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

hmmmmmm, good luck with that one

rogg
    Free Member

Set up a camera and post yourself a few parcels. Go on, go on, go on.

Flaperon

Following darrell’s advice have just added a sign to the outside reading “Please do not put your hand inside this postbox”.

Think it’s now legal, after all, if you can put razor wire and broken glass on top of a wall this can’t be any different.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Inside job?

Postman might have felt something nice inside, put it in, waited for the coast to clear, then pulled it back out, . . hey stranger things have happened?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Please do not put your hand inside this postbox”.

If I was the postie and read that I don’t think i’d deliver anything!! 😀

sugdenr
    Free Member

Following darrell’s advice have just added a sign to the outside reading “Please do not put your hand inside this postbox”.

That sign’ aint worth the paper its written on, Rodney.

Its hidden, gonna need more like “Danger, sharp objects inside. Putting your hand in this postbox will lead to serious bodily injury”

Better still, remove it. I know they are thieving yoofs but is it really worth a bit of actual?

peterfile
    Free Member

just wait until the little old OAP from downstairs gets the post boxes mixed up and her arm is chewed off as she tries to retrive her mail by slipping her frail old hand inside, just like she has done for years because she can’t remember where she put the key………..

😉 🙄

Militant_biker

So, by putting up a sign, you’re admitting that there is a danger to putting one’s hand in the box, and that you know about it. Not sure that’s clever but IANAL.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Think it’s now legal, after all, if you can put razor wire and broken glass on top of a wall

I don’t think you can

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yep, kids never ever put their hands through letter boxes, do they?

Take it off immediately, FFS.

user-removed
    Free Member

😳 After having had a wallet and change nicked from my jacket from my first ever crubbish P/T job, I went home and sewed fish hooks into the inside of my coat pocket and filled it with washers (sounded like change when shaken).

Sadly, there were so many blue catering plasters in evidence, that I never did find out who the thief was.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

darrell – Member

Really? I see no assault there. In fact I see no crime at all.

CharlieMungus – Member

“Think it’s now legal, after all, if you can put razor wire and broken glass on top of a wall”

I don’t think you can

Of course you can. A local police station has razor wire on its wall as do many other buildings

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

There is no reasonable reason why someone who lacks an ability to read or capacity to understand where they are allowed should be on top of a 10 foot wall.

However when a local belligerent old lady put glass on the one foot high wall by a cul de sac road where kids played, the local police stopped her quickly.

I’d say it is unreasonable to booby trap a letter box, and then put a written warning on it. Kids and the confused, etc etc. I know one old bloke who is always trying to open the door of the garage he sold years ago. The owner should electrify the handle?

chakaping
    Free Member

IANAL.

My new favourite internet acronym.

Fnarr, fnarr.

peterfile
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    darrell – Member

Really? I see no assault there. In fact I see no crime at all.

CharlieMungus – Member
    “Think it’s now legal, after all, if you can put razor wire and broken glass on top of a wall”

I don’t think you can

Of course you can. A local police station has razor wire on its wall as do many other buildings

Was that the first thing that popped into your head TJ? 😀

Occupiers Liability Act 1984

Occupiers Liablity (Scotland) Act 1960

Also have a look at Dawson V Scottish Power 1999

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

peterfile – its assault how?

Occupiers liability act is civil not criminal law so no crime.

What the OP has done is not assault and cannot be assault and there is no crime committed.

He may have a civil liability if someone in injured. Not the same thing at all as committing a crime

You can put razor wire on walls and you can put glass on walls under some circumstances

peterfile
    Free Member

peterfile – its assault how?

Occupiers liability act is civil not criminal law so no crime.

What the OP has done is not assault and cannot be assault and there is no crime committed.

He may have a civil liability if someone in injured. Not the same thing at all as committing a crime

You can put razor wire on walls and you can put glass on walls under some circumstances

That’s not the point i’m making TJ.

Just because you’re not criminally liable for something doesn’t mean you can’t be held liable for your actions.

You can’t just tell someone that they can put razor wire on top of their wall. They “might” not be criminally liable, but the threshold for civil liability is much lower. Not really good advice is it?

I’m not a PI lawyer, nor do I know anything about Occupier’s Liability other than what is easy to find on the t’interweb, but to say “you can” put razor wire and broken glass on top of a wall just isn’t correct.

Well, I suppose a person can actually do anything he or she likes like, provided they are willing to accept the consequences.

*is off to put glass all around his garden to catch out the little kiddie winkles who keep kicking their ball in*

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Peterfile -= what I actually said was that what others had posted was wrong which it clearly is

It is not assault
    It is not a crime of any sort
    You can put razor wire on your wall

those three things are true

singletrackmind

Loads of fences round here have razor wire in them, and on the tops. Signs the size of a packet of fags every 50 meters or so .
    Car Breakers Yard , Bulk oil depot , Builders yard .

MSP

Assault is the act or intent of causing harm.

Booby trapping a letterbox clearly has the intent to cause harm and would therefore be assault and a crime.

float
    Free Member

not really a booby trap if it has a warning though surely?

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m off for a swim rather than debate about the degrees of legality of razor wire TJ 😀

But we seemed to be agreed to some extent – you can put razor wire onto your wall and potentially not face criminal prosecution, but you may be liable under tort/delict for any harm suffered by anyone injuring themselves on it.

peterfile
    Free Member

not really a booby trap if it has a warning though surely?

can you assume that your victim will be able to read? No kiddies ever stuck their hands in a letter box?

project
    Free Member

We put razor wire up on the rear of a chineese takleaway, a while ago, after they had their taking robbed, within a few days the police had been around to say it was ilegal without a sign, so we put up a sign, and took a few pictures with the local paper to date them, strangely the sign soon disapeared.

An old lady customer had problems with kids climbing over her wall, so she put a layer of treacle on it, kids climbed up, 8 foot wall got covered in treacle, not very happy but didnt do it again, it soon washes away but teaches them a lesson.

project
    Free Member

Oh and OP, check with your neighbours one of them hasnt taken it, a neighbour i had taken one of my parcels, he kept it for 2 weeks, then decided to put a note stuck on the front door he had a parcel for 2 weeks waiting for me, when i said why didnt he tell me before, when i told him it could have been important he said it wasnt important to him, had a go at him, he then said he was sending it back, which he did, and i didnt ever find out what it was.

thankfully he has now moved.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is there anything he WON’T argue about?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Thieving scumbags’ is closed to new replies.