• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Thetford Rubber?
  • chi11i
    Free Member

Can’t seem to get the right mix of tyre for thetford at the moment, any suggestions?

I ride a dialled alpine, so not a light nimble xc ride, and i seem to lose the front on the loose over hardpack bits of red run.

davetrave
    Free Member

Nobby Nic on the front, Ralph on the back…

tommid
    Free Member

I’m with Dave. Or I ride a set of 2.35 Intense tyres, can’t remember which ones though.

Is your Alpine a light green one? If so I think you over took me on Sunday morning. I was riding my CX bike around running 700x32c Conti Twisters. They worked nicely on all but the deep sand.

chi11i
    Free Member

tommid – yep that was me 😉 i remember passing a CX bike

thanks for tyre advice…

stumpy01

SpeedKings are fine at Thetford for all but the deep sandy bits come the (hopefully) summer months.
    Some of the hardpack corners on the red are indeed quite slidey – it helps if you get your weight forward a bit through them.

bobalong
    Free Member

I run Nobby Nicks front and rear both 2.1’s

Panaracer Fire xc pro’s work well too.

I’ll be there tonight for a quick post work blast – can’t wait. (Must avoid hitting the tree in the carpark again!)

chi11i
    Free Member

gone for the mix of ralphs and nics – gotta start somewhere… would mind some advice on pressures for thetford types on these tyres.

was running a massive old tioga factory downhill on front and a nokian 2.3 on rear so it was pumped up hard for thetford, let some air out in wales. not exactly scientific.

stumpy01 – did swap my stem from 50mm to 80mm before weekend and i did notice an improvement going thro those corners, will have a go at getting my arse fwd. think maybe i need a ‘how to ride a trail that isnt a bmx track’ refresher course 🙂

grahamt1980

been using panaracer razers for the past few trips there, no problems with grip (well ish couple of near wipe outs but thats what happens when you go too fast into a corner).

Just a question but why do people mainly go to thetford to ride the red and black routes, the brandon park side has amazing singletrack that doesn’t normally get sandy

chi11i
    Free Member

grahamt1980 – I ride the red route because I’m generally short of time (big family with lots of football and dance commitments for me to taxi about) and I either explore, or ride what I know hard. With getting fitter for summer I’m riding what I know harder – if someone would be a nice guide to the Brandon side for an hour early one Sunday morning I’d be grateful 🙂

grahamt1980

thats fair enough, just wondering.
    I love the brandon side and if I get a chance to get out there one sunday will happily show people some of the routes

schmiken

This time of year? Furious Fred rear, Race King front 🙂 Most of the year a Rocket Ron on front and Racing Ralph rear.

stumpy01

The Brandon side is better. But a lot of the Brandon side gets pretty sandy as well.

The problem with the Brandon side come summertime is lots of the trails are completely overrun with nettles. Still plenty that remain free, but an awful lot that you get halfway down & wonder whether it was such a good idea.

peterh
    Free Member

Some folks from TIMBER MTB would show you around I’m sure.

While I’m on here it would be great if Thetford riders could join the us for £5 to show your support – we need it if we’re going to continue working on the “red” and start work on the “black” trails soon.

chi11i
    Free Member

peterh – i am a member 😉 well i think i need to renew about now don’t i? not been on a work party yet only joined in october after meeting a couple of guys on a charity road ride.

Moe

I live 2 min ride from BCP and only need half an excuse to get out so post something on ‘Group Rides’ on the Timber forum and if I can make it I will and if I can’t someone else will no doubt be around.

Moe

btw, I work shifts so if you want to ride anytime during the week it’s worth posting.

peterh
    Free Member

>> peterh – i am a member

Nice one – thanks.

For everyone’s benefit, the new membership year started again in April so it would be great if we could get some new joiners and renewals. Sounds like a faff but we keep our subs as low as possible to just cover our costs. Membership is pretty disappointing at the moment so unless it improves we won’t be a viable organisation – which would be a shame considering the big and exciting plans we have for this year.

damion
    Free Member

Hello,

I only discovered thetford this winter, having got bored of chicksands (I live on its doorstep) and deciding to drive further out and discover more in my localish area.

I was really impressed, really enjoyed it, and endeavour to get out there much more regularly.

Have just thrown another membership your way, you were all digging like crazy last time I was up there. Please keep up the good work.

Damion

Moe

It’s not all about trail building either, we have some fantastic group rides and last years trip to Wales was a great success! And the race scene is thriving, last years D2D had a Timber marquee in prime location with pit crews and mechanical support* for Timber riders!

* and boy did they need it!

Imagine what we could do if everyone who regularly rides at Thetford paid their fiver? The Forest ‘sell off’ is still a real threat and as a representative group the stronger Timber Mtb is the better! The aim being continued long term enjoyment for all riders……. but the trails don’t create or look after themselves!

Moe

Anyhow getting back to the OP, I have been riding Nobby Nicks 1.8 F&R (about 35lbs) and while the trails have been firm it’s been fantastic but with them now getting a bit sandier it’s a little sketchier, found letting air out helps but have had a couple of pinch flats (need to keep my 13st butt off the saddle a bit more!).

chi11i
    Free Member

peterh – Prompted me, just renewed + a donation. Am liking the pump track thread, he said after just dismantling his 4X bike because I’m not ard enough anymore. But up for helping to build that.

Moe – will def post for a guided ride 🙂 thanks.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Just a question but why do people mainly go to thetford to ride the brandon park side and black route, the red has amazing singletrack that doesn’t normally get sandy or muddy

there fixed that for you 8)

Moe

Just poping back to what I was saying about Timber membership :

EDP article

or TROG (Tunstall & Rendlesham) membership if you are so inclined!

‘Apathy has a long history of turning to regret’.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Thetford Rubber?’ is closed to new replies.