Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thermarest equivalents?
  • sam_underhill

Anyone got any recommendation? I've borrowed thermarests in the past and they are good. Are there any cheaper alternatives that are anywhere near as good?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Alpkit are apparently worth a look 🙂

cxi
    Free Member

Alpkit (I've got a Regular Airic) or Decathlon (my misses has one of the luxury models – bit heavy but uber comfy)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends if you using them lots or in heat thermarest cant be beat. my thermarest full length has been on the go for 5 years or so my alpkit wee arrics x 2 lasted 8 days. Before failing completely in milford sound . Reckon they were no good in heat in my panniers..glue de bonded. Refunded no bother. bought kathmandu 3/4s in queenstown. they have been far superior and lasted to cape reinga and oz too

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

The Vango jobbies are good and mucho cheapness.

Nick

Yeah I reckon if your life depended on the mat I'd go Thermarest, if you're doing the odd bike/beer/bivvy trip then Alpkit, I put a hole in one of my wee airics (barbed wire fence) and didn't have the patch kit with me, slept on it still and while I didn't have the best nights sleep I was still ok.

sam_underhill

cheers all. It's for the summer holiday in fancy french campsites, so no need to be too fancy. I might even get a battery powered pump for the aerobed 😉

Nick

Ah, then I would definately recommend a Fat Airic, much much more comfortable than any airbed I've ever slept on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye sam the thermarest design is comfier – more supportive. Than any air bed ive used as well as being easier to use. Concept is highly recomended and alpkit do tell me they have improved . Its once bitten twice shy for me. Other alpkit products are ace though namely gourdon 🙂 he makes a great kit carrier for bivying and doubles up as a pillow !

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Vango.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Thermarest equivalents?’ is closed to new replies.