Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The Whangie
  • wallace1492
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a good circular route for the Whangie? Starting off at Milngavie. Or is it just out and back the Westie to Carbeth, then a bit of tarmac to the Queens View Car Park and a push up over the top then back via the side of the hill.

J0N
    Free Member

Common route for me is/was up through mugdock on the trails the other side of craigallian loch from the WHW then take the foot path to the left before the huts. Cross the Cullits Road and head along the top of the cliff towards Auchingillan. Out on to the road and towards QV carpark but take the road on the left just before you get there towards the end of that road there is an access road to the top but it is now ‘closed’ at the top by high plantation fence. Across the top of the hill then down the tourist path to the QV carpark. Back along the road and through Mugdock as you wish.
    Not truely circular but doesn’t cover the same paths too much.
    I’m sure others will have alternative routes.

BoardinBob

Chris, the Smith brothers did a loop a couple of weeks ago that takes it in.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/user/194815

We were on a similar loop but we cut out the road section by taking the trail down behind the Carbeth huts, then crossing the road and going down this trail here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=carbeth&safe=active&ie=UTF8&ll=55.9806,-4.365599&spn=0,0.036221&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.9806,-4.365599&panoid=4ZYHd2kTSAzoRnedXPOU5g&cbp=12,285.54,,0,5.73

Here’s the loop we did: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/264123

Just before the 6 mile mark, had we went left at the crossroads instead of straight on (mistake!) we would have been heading up towards the whangie.

You’ll still potentially use the road to get back to Carbeth but this would get you up to the whangie on a circular route rather than an out and back.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Excellent Bob, cheers Jon. Been down that trail before Bob, think I will try it again. Guess if cutting across from Burncrooks road it is a bit hikey bikey. Jon, no access across the fence then? Where is the entry to the path to Auchingillan? Is it obvious….

BoardinBob

The path off Burncrooks road was all completely rideable. Couple of gates to open/ climb over

wallace1492
    Free Member

Bob, meant from Burncrooks road up to the whangie, once you leave the road. Don’t think there is a good path up to the top. Have fancied this for a while…. Think anyone may fancy it? Could post for a run for next week.

Sanny
    Free Member

Out via the grassy climb off the West Highland Way (just after Tinkers Loan) that pops you out at the far edge of Auchengillan ( note: the less obvious lower path is better as it is rarely mashed by cattle / horses) then accross a horse field that deposits you about 250 yards up the road from the Whangie. For me, the out and back challenge of the lower path of the Whangie is the most fun. From the trig point, you can drop down to the crags proper for the return. You could take the high path but it’s mostly just a grassy and occassionally boggy spin up.

There is some nice stuff across the Whangie on, around and above Dumgoyne that you may want to explore. Big climbs but great views and a couple of steep and fast descents to be had. Dumgoyne itself is great but if you struggle with exposure on narrow singletrack, it may not be for you.

P1000115

P1000136

P1000145

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I’d be interested in this. Post away!

wallace1492
    Free Member

Cheers Sanny, need to try and find the path after Tinkers Loan. Will probably do out and back lower path then as it sounds like the upper one is just not worth the effort.

franciscobegbie, I quite fancy the Crags route sometime soon, would Bowling Basin be a suitable starting point, and when are you free for a wee spin?

fergal
    Free Member

Sanny any pics of your Braeriach sortie, sorry for the hijack.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hey Fergal

Not loaded up on t’interweb but I got some crackers. Some great shots looking over towards Carn ban Mor then some moody shots from Braeriach as the weather turned. E mail me your e mail address off line and I’ll ping you a couple to pique your interest. 😀

Re Tinkers Loan – you join the path immediately behind the remains of the burnt out house a short way down the descent. It’ll be a bit brackeny but not too bad at the moment.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Cheers, know exactly where you are. We passed it last night.

J0N
    Free Member

wallace….climbing the fence would be ‘irresponsible’ 😉

wallace1492
    Free Member

Of course it would be 😉 But if one was to, in theory try it, is it of sufficient size to allow one to get a bike and haul ones ass over it? Without of course tearing oneself on the fence. Just might be more interesting than out and back same route.

fergal
    Free Member

Sanny you have mail.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

franciscobegbie, I quite fancy the Crags route sometime soon, would Bowling Basin be a suitable starting point, and when are you free for a wee spin?

Any time. If the weathers good, I’m up in the Kilpatricks 2 or 3 times a week. I’m heading up there shortly. Could go on Sunday too.

I’ve never done the full Crags circular route, I normally go up the Humphrey road from Old Kilpatrick, over to the Black Linn and down the fast grassy track part of the crags loop to Overtoun House. So I always miss out the actual crags bit.

You could start from Bowling and head up my normal way – theres a couple of fun jumps near there and an entertaining drop on the way up through the Lusset Glen. Or head west towards Dumbarton and follow the waymarked Crags circular walking route from there.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Chris Id be up for going and checking it out tomorrow if you fancy it 😀

dancingfool
    Free Member

id be up for tagging along if your heading up tomorrow at some point

hainman
    Free Member

might see you up there on sunday davey.well health permitting….thats me packing the steriods so im a bit up and doon….

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Any time Craig. Fire me an email when you feel up for it.

hainman
    Free Member

will do mate,hopefully i’ll be a bit better and up for it on sunday.big daveys just been up there tonight.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

must have been his tyre tracks I was following then.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Kilpatrick Crag posted for next Wednesday. Hope you can make it franciscobegbie and doubledunter.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I’m in!

wallace1492
    Free Member

Well, did the Whangie on Saturday with Doubledunter. Took the route that Sanny mentioned, though it was not all plain sailing. Down Tinkers Loan, then across country up towards Auchengillan, not always easy going, but hey. Decided to cross the fence and went in through the scouts area, got told off by some person for being there…. in a not too friendly way – apparantly children camp there he told us, he probably wanted then for himself! Up the road and up and back the lower path, went up to the trig point. The uphill was pretty challenging, but rode a lot of it, the downhill was brilliant fun though. Well worth doing again….. but might miss out the Scout camp next time!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The Whangie’ is closed to new replies.