• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • wallop

Laps are good! Thanks for the info – very helpful.

colp

Snow down to 800m in Austria!

Here’s our webcam today

Digby

nae bother Wallop 🙂

And just to wet your appetite, this shot is of the valley west of Courmayeur that can be accessed via the Arp cable car (the top one of the two that look like something out of a Bond film and date from the late ’60s)

The valley pictured runs all the way down to the valley below La Thuile – it’s a great ‘tour’ but can be a bit of a ‘commando exit’! 🙂

Pictured here is the ‘Yula’ cable car:

gingerbllr
    Free Member

sweaman2 – did you used to have a grind rail set up in your garden over winter?

Been to banff a couple years in a row now, think i recognise it.

djglover
    Free Member

Booked my first skiing trip for 10 years this weekend. I made the costly mistake of taking the kids for a lesson at the Castleford indoor centre, apparently its the best thing they have ever done, so I have sold a kidney and booked a trip to the Grand Massif for Feb half term.. We are staying in Samoens at accommodation we have used in the summer, but I don’t know if anyone has got any insights into skiing in Samoen or the grand massif with young kids?

sweaman2
    Free Member

sweaman2 – did you used to have a grind rail set up in your garden over winter?

Not me but the playset is a pretty common design so likely similar in Banff.

nedrapier

Lyngen Alps look good right now! 8)

Or at least they certainly did 4 days ago.

http://web.stagram.com/p/Ba9Zrfbj97d

No embedding, sorry, only seen it on instagram.

Ski version:

http://web.stagram.com/p/Ba_0nHCnIDM

leffeboy

Trois Vallees for youngest leffe and I in Feb. Excited as she is going to try snowboarding this year as she kicks my bum when she is on skis. Will have to start stretching now as I usually can’t walk by the end of the week 🙁

Will need to look into SkiFamille as I like these group places both for chat and for other folks for my daughter to ski with when I injure myself

Digby

Lyngen Alps look good right now

I’m off to Lofoten next April 8)

GrahamS

Been studiously avoiding this thread because I don’t have anything booked this year, but thought I’d pop in to point out that the TSA Big Bang Snowboard Show is on again at Braehead snowdome:

For one day only The Big Bang will bring a streamlined version of its Weekender Show up to Braehead. The Demo element of the show is always the best bit and that’s what they are bringing to Snow Factor on the 18th of November. You’ll be able to demo brand new 17/18 snowboard hardware from NOW, Jones, YES, Burton, Bataleon, Salomon Snowboards, Dinosaurs Will Die, Lobster, Switchback and Nidecker. All the hardware is free to demo you just need to cover your slope time. Demo runs from 12 noon until 6pm.

Here’s the FB event for anyone interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/166827920573610/?active_tab=about

I went to this show a few years ago and it was a great chance to demo loads of boards and bindings on real snow. It’s where I discovered I like Bataleon’s weird shaped base.

Sounds like they have downscaled it a bit this year and got rid of the side talks, coaching etc and they are just having it as a big demo day.

Worth going to if you are in the area.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Wow if it didn’t already think skiing sucked* I really do now

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vv-BfVoq4g[/video]

*I don’t it’s rad just not as rad a surfing the frozen waves

smiththemainman
    Free Member

@danradyr1 St Gervais is lovely village and big ski area under an hour from Geneva

igm

Recommendations for a short Christmas break in PdS please.
    Yes I know snow is a risk.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Djglover
    We did a season in the Grand Massif this year. Samoens has a bit of a bottle neck with the chiarande express lift or the alternative is to take the lower down chiarande then Lanches chair (if its running). We’ve not stayed in Samoens but it does seem like everyone gets up and tries to head straight out of the Samoens valley….
    Depending on the kids make sure you take them to Morillion and the green run called Marvel. It’s long at 4.6 km, cruises through the trees (so always has some visibility), there are animals to spot in the trees and the gradient is just great. One of my favourite runs. There a little boarder cross track over there too, take the chair ?Bergins for that (its at the bottom of Marvel).
    Any questions, just ask
    Linda

geoffj

PSA – 15% off @ Ekosport with code VIP15 until midnight.

nbt

Booked. Countdown has begun. Mildly excited. Need to organise insurance next

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Davey lad did well in Slalom yesterday, nearly took the win. Except for the crash. It will happen though!

GrahamS

Cairngorm! Snow!

Morning update. Winds from the west at 20 mph, -3.0 and some hefty snowshowers coming through. We have had some of our…

Posted by Cairngorm Mountain on Monday, November 13, 2017

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Get the hell up there GrahamS!

Andy_B

djglover
    the lifts serving the nursery slopes at the top of the GME are clunky, slow and prone to break downs. The plus side is they work round in a circle so you can keep varying the run. The local racing clubs will often use Plateau so expect to get bumped in the queue at the weekend. The sooner you get them capable for the likes of zizi panpan (very easy blue) the better.
    The only tricky bit is the way back in at the top of Chariande – mainly because it’s busy with crap skiers so choose your moment to attempt that carefully, e.g not at 3pm as the masses return from the Flaine side.

Try and sort your lift passes before you arrive in the morning as there can be a long wait then another wait for the GME. I think it can be done online. Parking also gets busy so again careful planning to make sure your kids haven’t been stood around for an hour before doing anything.

djglover
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Andy and Linda!

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’m almost as excited for Sunday when sweajnr gets his first time on skis. Any bets on how long we last….

Sweamrs and I looked at doing a long weekend in Whistler this year but $$$$.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Jesus, Whistler is just unreal isn’t it. Insane trails and then bam 6 weeks later covered in snow. Ridonkulous

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thinking of a week in Le Praz with Skivo2 who include instruction. I’ve been with them before but ages ago. I just wondered if anyone had been with them recently ?
    Recommended ?

colp

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Jesus, Whistler is just unreal isn’t it. Insane trails and then bam 6 weeks later covered in snow. Ridonkulous

Been having s good think about retiring to BC, looking at Squamish. Problem is that we have to wait 3 or 4 years for jnr to do uni and the property prices there are going crazy. You refresh the page on the estate agents website and it adds 10k

smokey_jo

Off to Tignes in Jan on a package which includes a Tignes lift pass, is it easy enough to top up with a Val d’isere day pass as required or should we just get a week pass for Val d’isere on day 1?

smokey_jo

Thinking of a week in Le Praz with Skivo2 who include instruction. I’ve been with them before but ages ago. I just wondered if anyone had been with them recently ?
    Recommended ?

Not been with Skivo2 before but stayed in le Praz a lot over the last few years might be able to help if you have any specific questions

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s so much to ski in Tignes you may only want to Ski the Val sector on one day. If the weather is bad you may never want to cross over.

singletrackmind

Or they close the links so you cannot get over / back.
    Probably worth playing it by ear and maybe just get 1 or 2 days in VDI.
    Depends how quickly you can cover the ground

smokey_jo

Cheers guys, not super speedy so will pick our days as weather allows

smokey_jo
    jambalaya
    Free Member

@smokey The skiing in both is great and if in one its good to spend some time in the other. On a week’s holiday (we would normally pick Val for the town) I might spend one or max two days in Tignes. I like to do tye easy off piste Valley Perdue including the rocky gully (not so easy if conditions are tricky) and if the weather and snow are good a trip down to Le Breviere for a beverage.

As above it’s Jan and if the weather is poor the links can be shut / challenging with wind and snow blasting you in the face.

Painey
    Free Member

Off to Val D’Isere again with the family this Feb. Haven’t been there for a few years though so looking to sort out an off-piste guide for a day, don’t suppose anyone has recommendations? Went with the ESF before and the guide was an idiot.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Can’t recommend anyone but I did have a great day off the back of POINTE DU MONTET.
    A bit of skinning involved but a nice day out.

Painey
    Free Member

Funnily enough that’s the area of the Val I haven’t really explored before (off piste) so was looking to do something along those lines. Col Pers for example.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I’ve used the Development Centre in Val D’Isere before- they were good

Also have friends who worked for Progression Ski for several years-heard good things about their instructors.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Painey – ski or snowboard?

Painey
    Free Member

Snowboard. Tried skiing, decided it wasn’t for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.