Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Snow watching in October is a waste of time people, you know it!

And yet, we all do it!

wallop

Les Arcs is thick with it (up at the top top)! But we aren’t going to France this year – we are off to Austria which thus far has none 😆

grahamt1980

Some in Claviere now

hammerite
    Free Member

I started watching cams last weekend. See a nice fall in the morning only for it to be gone by the evening. Eventually one will stick. I get excited when I see a mound of man made underneath a snow cannon, at least it means it’s staying cold for long enough.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Nice vid Up and on Snowheads

Video

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Liked that a LOT! Some great “real world” skiing. The sort of stuff that I like to do, just done a whole lot better! A nice change from all the loony tunes huckfest and cliff drop stuff, just back to the basics of having fun across the whole hill.

The groomer sections were delicious.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Not exactly marginal conditions but not the stellar conditions you usually see in these vids.
    That’s how I think I look, I do not.
    You can tell he has done his time on the race piste.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Same!

wallop

How fast!!??

thetallpaul
    Free Member

That’s the first skiing video in a long time that actually tempted me to try skis again after 24 years on a board.
    Won’t be this year though 🙁 . 6MO MiniMissTTP has stopped play.

NZCol

Nice vid, as you say, that’s pretty much normal skiing. Very good balance though and a man that can use his ankles *thumbs up*

toby1

Same![/quote]

Me three, so far from this!

igm

I don’t even think I look that smooth. Or quick. Or effortless.

igm

TheTallPaul – http://www.skifamille.co.uk

It’ll be fine. Just mortgage a kidney.

NZCol

^ That’s who we are going with, wasn’t as bad as I feared given its all inclusive.

igm

This will be our 8th year with them.

No adults lunch so not quite all inclusive, but they’re pretty good.

When you there / which resort NZCol?

NZCol

igm – true, as all inclusive as I have ever had (we don’t really do holidays but with a small one a break where someone else cooks and cleans is gold!) Les Gets 11th march.

igm

Nice time of year there. We’ve had 20C skiing and fresh snow in the same week in previous years in early March.

Les Gets February 1/2 term for us.

K2 for a very good burger.

NZCol

Ta- last year we can avoid school hols for us !

thetallpaul
    Free Member

@igm – Wish I could, but it’s been an expensive year, and Mrs TTP has just entered the skint part of her maternity. Even bike purchases have been curtailed 😀

TheDTs
    Free Member

NZ, enjoy it while you can. We did and Esprit all inc. last year, Brilliant but expensive.
    Our school hols were the week before the rest of the country last year so it was only my wifes kidney we sold, this year we are going at Easter as the half term week is F*$king crazy price..For our group of 5 adults and 5 kids it is £3k cheaper at Easter than half term (Tignes 1800, Self catering, Driving with flexi-Plus chunnel) Not inc. any Lift passes or lessons for our two kids)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Fair bit of snow over the last week in Whistler, even down to the village (though not sticking) a coupe of times. About 75cm or so in the alpine, about 2 or 3 weeks earlier than normal. Not enough to ski on yet, and mountain still due to open in late November, but it’s getting the juices going!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

One for the Gapers Skiers ,Bobby Brown’s latest

[video]http://vimeo.com/187819553[/video]

colp

Snow down to about 1500 in Austria last night, here’s the view up our road.

Balcony beer fridge is fully operational.

geoffj

Got the offer of a cheap trip to Bardonnechia in January – will there be snow?

wallop

Crystal ball? 😀

geoffj

Indeed – maybe thinking about sestriere too?
    mmmmmm

Spin
    Free Member

Got the offer of a cheap trip to Bardonnechia in January – will there be snow?

It’s quite low so who knows. Also, it’s a nice enough resort but small and definitely not masses for better skiers (which may or may not suit you). You could pretty much ski every run in a day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s quite low so who knows. Also, it’s a nice enough resort but small and definitely not masses for better skiers (which may or may not suit you). You could pretty much ski every run in a day.

Yep. I’ve done both Sauze (nearby) and Serre Che (just over the hill) around Christmas and have lucked out doing that. It is a bit of a lottery though.

Also, as above, Bardonecchia doesn’t look huge.

Montgenèvre or Serre Che would be a better bet, I’d say. Bit higher. Bigger.

geoffj

Mmmm
    *heads back to Crystal website*

hammerite
    Free Member

When in January Geoff? January isn’t usually the busiest times so if you’re travelling as a couple then you can probably find an offer closer to the time.

geoffj

Looking at beginning of January for a 5-dayer to fit in with inlaws and shook hols.
    Sestriere looks like a decent option. It’s quite high which will improve chances – the village looks a bit soviet era, but as we are with kids, the need for swanky bars and restaurants is much reduced 😕
    Serre Chevalier is an option, but the 3+ hour transfer from Torino is putting me off a bit.

Stoner
    Free Member

First dusting in Avoriaz. And so it begins 🙂

[NEIGE / SNOW]* Garanti sans trucage :)-* Guaranteed without special effect 🙂 #firstsnow #winteriscoming #premièresneiges #wantsnow #winter #avoriaz

Posted by Avoriaz 1800 on Thursday, October 20, 2016

TheDTs
    Free Member

Finally a group decision has been made, three generations of the Taylor family will be taking to the slopes together in Tignes 1800 at Easter.
    Phew. Now just need a short trip to tide me over till Easter…

nbt

I’m a snowhead. don’t visit very much anymore.

datsunman

Myself and girlfriend went to Alpes d’Huez last year and she didn’t like the ‘manufactured’ look of the resort and wants to go somewhere a bit more ‘villagy’, can anybody recommend a good beginner/intermediate French/Italian snowboard resort that will tick the box?

nbt

If you want “village” then go to Austria. italy can be ok, but many (not all, bu many) french resorts are purpose built and can be a little bit soulless

bluebird
    Free Member

datsunman – you could try Sauze D’Oulx. It’s got quite a nice cobbled street villagey feel, especially the older part of town. Good skiing/riding too, links up with Sestriere, so plenty to go at. Cervinia is not as pretty but it’s a pretty good place to gain confidence, it has some super wide cruisey pistes. Links with Zermatt, so again lots to ride.

bluebird
    Free Member

.. and what ntb said, Austria is more picture post card.

datsunman

Thanks both, will go and check them out. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.