Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • footflaps

I picked up a set of NRGY 107s last season at a bargain price. Stunningly good – everywhere.

Think I only paid £250 for NRGy90s with bindings last January….

Ski kit is like fitted kitchens, you only ever need pay 50% list price for the stuff….

Tom-B
    Free Member

Soooo, the split boarding course that I wanted to do over Xmas doesn’t running until mid January, which means that I’ll do it Feb half term now.

Xmas week then…..I’ll be travelling solo which means that I’ll been staying with UCPA….don’t fancy any of the Snowboarding courses on offer, so either just go and do my own thing, or (drum roll) do a full week of beginner skiing?! 😯 Actually quite fancy being able to both ski and snowboard, and the UCPA lessons are amazing. Anyone else started on a board then learned to ski after?

hot_fiat

Nope, went the other way from Skis in 1981 to Boarding in 01. Tbh being a boarder you’ll have it sorted in no time as learning how the edges work and where to apply pressure (over the front of the tray/sticks) is half the battle.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tom UCPA do courses / groups for all levels (Mrs B assures me)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah I know Jamba….been with them a lot…..just wondering whether I’ll regret missing on on a week boarding to learn to ski……

jambalaya
    Free Member

Whoopie ! Good for UK shops too 8)

igm

A good news story for EU citizens paying in euros and for British shops selling to them.

You paid in euros currently Jamba?

For me it’s just a price rise at Blue Tomato et al – I made it 18%, but if it’s only a 15% hike then I suppose that’s good.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just firmed up my plans for the winter. A week in Courchevel late Jan and then a boys (9 of us)trip to Serre Chev early March for four nights. Bring it on! 8)

geoffj

Any one seen any swanky backpacks worth a gander? I’m a bag whore and Junior 1 has just bought himself a nice Oakley number, so I’m on a mission. Would be ideal if it had straps for carrying skis.
    Any one?

Stoner
    Free Member

I struck an odd look yesterday, cycling through Morzine with my first pair of skis on my shoulder.

Some ex-hire Rossignol Pursuit 14, in perfectly good condition for just €140. Perfect for piste bashing.

http://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/955-skis/rossignol-pursuit-14-2015

igm

Stoner – it was a new board you needed. I thought we’d agreed. Something with an inappropriate picture aimed at 16 year old boys on it.

(My wife and I and both going to try a one day conversion course to planks at Xscape in the next few months. I need to time it so that I have no need of my knee for 6 weeks afterwards in case it doesn’t go well)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very euro, Stumpy. Very euro.

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

We’re in “and” territory, igm, not “or”

igm

You’ll be needing a bigger property to store it all before you know it…

geoffj

Backpacks again –
    Osprey Kode 22 (http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/ski-snowboard/kode-22) or
    Dakine Pro II (http://eu.dakine.com/p/ski/technical-backpacks/heli-pro-ii-28l-16w)

Needs to be able to attach skis and a helmet at the same time.

I’ve seen the Osprey in the flesh and looks good, but looks huge for a 22l pack

Anything else worth a look?

nedrapier

have a look at The North Face. I’ve got a Patrol 24, which they don’t seem to make anymore, but it’s very well thought out, loads of useful things, no useless things. One of those things you buy becuase of numerous, neat design features, then keep discovering more.

Think the latest is the Snomad, likely to be just as good/better but 26l might be a bit big. Looks like there’s a “Slackpack” too which might be worth a look.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Haven’t seen those, but my experience of Osprey bags continues to be the same. They’re excellent.

Just got a Shuttle for my travels. It’s superb.

bluebird
    Free Member

I’ve got the Dakine pack for days out in the back country. I love it, especially the back panel zippered main access.

Bunnyhop

After a few years away from the piste, I’m desperate to get back to skiing.
    Any suggestions for building up leg muscles anyone? nbt says do plenty of squats, surely there are other exercises too. I need to start now.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bog standard core body exercise would be a good start

geoffj

Thanks guys – I’ll have a look at the TNF options.
    I like the look of the osprey apart from the pockets on the waist belt 😕

sweaman2
    Free Member

I like Deuter packs – the Provoke 16 with optional helmet holder?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some light lifting can help, Bunnyhop.

wallop

That is the best. gif. ever.

😀

dashed
    Free Member

Oops. Just bought some dynafit beasts – not even got tech boots that fit but ridiculously good deals on atm. £220 from Jon at thepisteoffice…

ads678

Got a new snowboard for my birthday back in April. Always loved arbor snowboards, can’t wait to get on a mountain.

Probably be back in Andorra this season, Feb half term.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Always loved arbor snowboards

As teatrays go, they are usually utterly beautiful, I’d agree!

Re that one, is there any purpose to the shaping? Starting to look like late 80s skateboard decks sometimes! (Not a bad thing!) Hosoi Hammerhead, anyone? 🙂

ads678

The flathead tip

Provides more surface area
    for butters, ollies & nollies.

apparently.

I’ve always had directional all mountain boards that were good off piste, but now with kids I tend to be on piste pretty much all the time, so wanted a more playful board.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Makes sense!

The A-Frame has always been a lust item for me. In various guises.

ads678

Yeah that is nice.
    They do the one I got in the heritage series, which is beautiful, but they don’t do the size I want. And my wife had a right job getting me one of the standard ones, but I think managed to get hold of the last one in Europe!!

hammerite
    Free Member

Sad that Edge & Wax are no more but can anyone on here make use of any of this… http://www.lshmachinerysales.co.uk/images/stories/auctionimages/BlissOutdoors_Catalogue_v1.pdf

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sad to see that.

A lot of stock, too. 🙁

nedrapier

Yup, sad. Had a few bits of them over the years, always good service.

Loads of stuff there. might take a spin over next weekend, see if there’s anything good left.

Bunnyhop

Some light lifting can help, Bunnyhop.

Haha.
    The heaviest thing I lift nowadays is a cake out of the oven.

Bunnyhop

Hey Stoner you must weigh less since the digit incident.

How are you doing?

Stoner
    Free Member

Funnily enough Dr. Le Grenouille who removed the stitches from the enstumpification of my finger last weekend was the same chap who put four stitches in my thumb this April having run over it with my skis.

Oh how we laughed.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Vale resorts have just bought Whistler Blackcomb for $1.4 billion. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes this season (doubtful) or in the next few seasons, or if it’ll remain mostly the same but just with a different corporate structure.

geoffj

So any decent pre-2017 gear deals around?
    Ekosport has some tempting ski packages with decent discounts
    e.g. http://www.ekosport.co.uk/dynastar-cham-107-15-salomon-warden-13-mnc-blk-16-p-M00021948.html

TheDTs
    Free Member

Geoffj, don’t make me look at that site. “We’re buying a house” apparently that means I can’t have a new bike or skis.
    Am a bit concerned that when we move I will be found to have a “surprising” number of skis in the loft.
    Waiting for the “you can only use one pair at once” and “why do you need this many” comments.
    Maybe time to ditch the 207cm volkl RS? Useful if I need to go reaaaaaly fast* though..
    *In a straight line.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.