Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • The state of the nation's Pies (Rant content)
  • skydragon
    Free Member

Perhaps my OCD is kicking in too much, maybe I’m in a minority, but what the **** is going on with the state of the nations’ Pies I ask?

Pubs seem to be the worst offenders – they tempt you with a delicious sounding Pie offering on the menu…only to deliver a bowl of stew with a puff pastry lid on top of it. THAT IS NOT A PIE!!!!

Let’s be clear – a Pie has a top, a bottom and sides. Preferably shortcrust, not puff pastry (Even a quiche has a bottom and sides).

Can’t the lazy feckers be bothered to cook? Is there a pastry shortage? Why do they think it’s acceptable to deliver a non-pie…agghhh

Discuss!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Joe Cocker liked pies.

He’s dead now, you know.

ticsmon
    piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

GavinB

and this has what to do with biking exactly?

Harry_the_Spider

Discuss!!

OK.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s just lazy. Easy to warm up a bit of meat stew and pop a lid on it for the last few minutes. Much harder to cook a pie from scratch. Get over to Australia.. There’s proper pie shops in every town

skydragon
    Free Member

Wise words HTS

GavinB – They fuel the ride

skydragon
    Free Member

There’s proper pie shops in every town

Oh, matey, that sounds like heaven

wilburt
    Free Member

Pubs..wtf is a pub?

Never mind one that sells pies, all these **** keep voting tory and then it comes as a suprise we turn into a mock plastic US.

mt
    Free Member

Colne valley lad, the home of pies.

windydave13
    Free Member

I’m just tucking into one of these bad boys. Good pastry matched with a good meaty filling.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FUKvMZ]Pie time[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

scotroutes

What about Shepherds Pie/Cottage Pie?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t even have an opinion on this. 😉

Edit: Forgot that myself and Fidel Gastro collaborated and made some actual art together….

jimdubleyou

Exception to prove the rule

sirromj

And why the ckuff would I want a burger in a brioche hufcking bun?

ratherbeintobago

Get over to Australia Wigan

FTFY

mountainman

Try living in Healthy freaks Ireland,you really have to search out the pies here.
    As for PORK PIE they are just UNEDUCATED ,don’t get me started on FAGGOTS !

binners

Come the glorious revolution comrades, casserole pastry toppers will be the first with their backs to the wall!

nealglover
    Free Member

Get over to Australia.. There’s proper pie shops in every town

Pretty sure you can buy pies almost everywhere in England too.

bearnecessities

Stoner must be asleep.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

windydave13 – Member
    I’m just tucking into one of these bad boys. Good pastry matched with a good meaty filling.

Yum, use by 8th March. Enjoy!

alexpalacefan

+1 OP, I’ve taken to questioning the bar staff before I order.

I’m a bit suspicious of windydave’s specimen too. Stilton in a pie?

Off to Spain now, where I’ll have to be content with (wait for it)…

Pae-ella!

APF

mt
    Free Member

The butchers at the bottom of Wessenden next to Crowthers mill does the best pies in the whole of the Colne valley, they are going to retire soon and it’ll be a sad day. One of there pies could make even the dampest cold in in Marsden feel like the sun will never go down.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

Get over to Australia.. There’s proper pie shops in every town

Pretty sure you can buy pies almost everywhere in England too.[/quote]
    True but here they are kicking arse on the pie front. Your basic meat pie puts most of the Greggs/Chip Shop shit to shame. Most bakers shops will have a choice of 6 or 7 minimum and you always get the offer of a bit of sauce.

Then of course there is the Pie Floater

I’m sorry to admit this but my new adopted home is taking what was great about the UK and doing it better
    http://craftypint.com/news/1163/Hottest_100_Aussie_Craft_Beers_of_2015_The_Results

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oooh in that pic of the beers. Have you tried Feral’s Hop Hog? Current fave beer it’s lush and brewed up the road in Swan Valley. Get it!

Pie floater… Mmmmm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hop Hog is great but I prefer the Karma Citra 😉

gaidong
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I was there but I believe Australia and New Zealand have some sort of regulation for the meat content of pies, and it is very high. Still remember coming back from a biking trip on South Island (with .303 rifles on our backs to blat at feral goats) in 2005 and stuffing a venison pie with a blob of home-made jam in it in Newtown. Bliss.

Cougar

I covered that on the previous thread.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oi-binners-what-have-you-started/page/4#post-7565463

I think we can make an exception to names of pies that aren’t defined by their ingredients. That is to say, a pork pie is a pie with pork in it. A shepherd’s pie does not contain shepherds, and similarly a cottage pie generally does not contain cottages.

Ie, “shepherd’s pie” is the full name of a dish that is not actually a pie, in the same way that an Eccles cake is not actually a cake. See also, beef wellington.

Cougar

I believe Australia and New Zealand have some sort of regulation for the meat content of pies, and it is very high.

Their cheese and onion pies must be a bit grim. Come to that, their apple pies.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think we can make an exception to names of pies that aren’t defined by their ingredients. That is to say, a pork pie is a pie with pork in it. A shepherd’s pie does not contain shepherds, and similarly a cottage pie generally does not contain cottages.

Ie, “shepherd’s pie” is the full name of a dish that is not actually a pie, in the same way that an Eccles cake is not actually a cake. See also, beef wellington.

Thank goodness you’ve cleared that up.

I was getting a bit nervous about the Coq au Vin. 😯

maccruiskeen

similarly a cottage pie generally does not contain cottages.

Ahh. I think I need to re-read the recipe for Toad in the Hole

[puts fishing net away]

I was getting a bit nervous about the Coq au Vin.

And the Spotted Dick

windydave13
    Free Member

Yum, use by 8th March. Enjoy!

Its been in the freezer since then so all good. Still got 5 emergency pies left 🙂

Cougar

I was getting a bit nervous about the Coq au Vin.

Not as much as this guy was.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Never again. I can still taste the Diesel.

mogrim

Off to Spain now, where I’ll have to be content with (wait for it)…

Pae-ella!

You could always have an empanada.

Not that Spanish pies are very good, too much pasty / too little filling.

skydragon
    Free Member

+1 OP, I’ve taken to questioning the bar staff before I order.

I thought I was the only one…

Went out on Monday night with Mrs Skydragon, to a local eatery with a good reputation. On the specials chalkboard they had ‘Homemade Steak and Ale pie’. Sounded great, so I asked at the bar as to whether it was an actual pie, or a pastry-topped stew (which it was). The bar staff found it most wierd that I’d even ask – blatant Pie-Discrimination at play.

You’d think in Calderdale such underhand cooking tactics would have been rooted out a long time ago, but I’m afraid the practice seems to be rife.

We need a ‘British Standard’ kitemark for proper pies, to avoid this sad state of affairs.

DaRC_L

We need a ‘British Standard’ kitemark for proper pie

the Campaign for Real Pie; CARP

Does Fish pie fall under the same exceptions category as Shepherd’s?
    What about Stargazy Pie

pondo

Joe Cocker liked pies.

He’s dead now, you know.
    Whaaaaaat??? Someone should start a thread. 🙁

benp1

I have no say, I don’t mind a top crust only pie. Maybe that’s because I make them, they are indeed easier

My issue with pies is when there’s too much sauce, I want a very thick meaty pie, cooked for a long time so the sauce has reduced and is flavoursome. I don’t want to cut my pie open and have it fall apart

Same goes for lasagna, cottage pie, shepherds pie etc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘The state of the nation's Pies (Rant content)’ is closed to new replies.