Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • Oi! Binners! What have you started…!
  • jamj1974
    mefty
    Free Member
    binners

The revolution has started comrades! Make sure you’re on the right side!

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Potato-topped pies aren’t pies,” says O’Callaghan firmly. The awards were set up for similar reasons to the petition – to celebrate and distinguish artisan British efforts like the pork pie from ‘”pastry-topped casseroles” and to “rescue” the word pie from what purists consider to be decades, nay centuries, of misuse.

Anyone who uses the words artisan and purists in the same sentence has immediately lost the argument.

Try and tell Desperate Dan that his Aunt Aggie’s cow pie, baked in an open dish with a lid of pastry isn’t actually a pie.

He’d declare thee a “varmint” and he’d be right.

Edit: @Binners – VARMINT! 😉

binners

Don’t worry PP. Once I’m in charge (not long now), anyone using the word ‘Artisan’ when referring to food, or ‘craft’ when referring to beer, will be joining the pie toppers with their backs against the wall

Pigface
    Free Member

Damn straight a pie is pastry all around, not some effete effort of puffy pastry lying atop of lumpy soup. Put all the horns on it you like if Aunt Agggie’s pie hasn’t got pastry on the top, the bottom and sides it isn’t a pie.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Be assured that when we’re all toiling under the yoke of oppression in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Colouring-in, there’ll be an active underground resistance movement, wearing trench coats and eating ashet pies * in basements.
    The shadowy figure of chaos at the head of this geurrilla movement is known only by a code name “PP”. 😉

Collaborators with our “Artisan Purist” overlords will be dealt with harshly. No pudding.

Just sayin.

*Not anything with potato on it though. That’s just weird. 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

Perchypie?????

perchypanther
    Free Member

Perchypie?????

No Pudding, Varmint. 😀

dustytrails

Local Pub has Pie Night – went the other week – lovely Steak Pie but with only a Pastry top!!! Does this mean it’s a “Partial Pie Night” or a perhaps a “Not Quite a Pie Night”

TBH although I like a proper pie (pastry encased) the pastry top “Part Pie” is obvs the healthy option and avoids heart burn (the older I get the less I can eat pastry 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

People who should be fired into the sun:-

Anyone claiming to be an “Artisan” who does not have sawdust in his/her beard.

Anyone with a stall at a “Farmer’s Market” who does not own a farm.

Anyone who uses the term “Workshop” without reference to a lathe or welding equipment.

Anyone who claims that a puff pastry “lid” perched on top of some stew is pie.

Off you go.

Cougar

Try and tell Desperate Dan that his Aunt Aggie’s cow pie, baked in an open dish with a lid of pastry isn’t actually a pie.

With respect, I don’t think we can hold up The Dandy as a canonical source of factual information. You’ll be quoting the Daily Mail as a reference next.

slowoldman

If this had been raised during the devolution debate the result could have been so different.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think you will find the Dandy is way more superior to the Mail, contains far more factual information. Korky the Cat has more integrity than the entire journalistic staff of the Mail combined FACT.

perchypanther
    Free Member

With respect, I don’t think we can hold up The Dandy as a canonical source of factual information. You’ll be quoting the Daily Mail as a reference next.

Why not? It’s a well respected publication with a long history of serious and informative investigative journalism. Much more so than the Daily Mail. 🙂

That great bastion of MCWCB’s , Markies food hall is also in on the act…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The only thing more disappointing than cutting into a ‘pie’ only to find no pastry under the lid, is being served one of those puff pasty topped abominations. It’s not a f***** pie, you’ve not made a pie there, you’ve served me a bowl of casserole with a pastry crouton. You have the make a pie, not just fekin serve some of the ingredients together.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I trust you’ll all be relinquishing your membership. Ya big galoots!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got this for christmas, on the plus side makes alright pies fairly quickly, on the downside any sort of filling is minimal, so you need to eat 2-3 to get a decent amount of steak.

+ more pie
    – heartburn

Harry_the_Spider

A simple comparative guide to what is pie and what is not pie.

Pie

Hair
    [Img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02783/GM-portrait_2783799b.jpg[/img]

Not pie

Not hair

LoCo
    Free Member

People who should be fired into the sun:-

Anyone claiming to be an “Artisan” who does not have sawdust in his/her beard.

Anyone with a stall at a “Farmer’s Market” who does not own a farm.

Anyone who uses the term “Workshop” without reference to a lathe or welding equipment.

Anyone who claims that a puff pastry “lid” perched on top of some stew is pie.

Can we add ‘Curated’ for anything other than a museum Curator’s activities too please, thanks.

Pasties FTW too 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

‘Artisan’

Always serves as a warning to avoid, I believe. Would The Binners kindly add it to his List.

slowoldman

Ooh yes please. Faux artisans and curators up against the wall please.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Technically they are true “pies”, but the butchers In Kilmacolm, does the best steak pies. Haven’t had one for a few years now though.

http://www.blackwoodofkilmacolm.co.uk/steak-pie–serves-34-48-p.asp

No way it feeds 3 – 4!

perchypanther
    Free Member

If Maw says it’s a pie, that’s good enough for me.

fasthaggis

Yir Maw

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yir Maw

She drinks wine. All the time.

and as for my Da’…

Harry_the_Spider

More people with reserved seats on The Sun Ship.

• Customer Service “Advisors” that have to read from a script.
    • “Facilitators”, whatever they are.
    • Anyone who says “Colleague Announcement” or “Partner Announcement” over a public address system.
    • Companies with a recorded message that states “Your business is important to us, please hold”. If it was that important you would have enough people to answer the phone.

Off you go. Pack your Factor 50.

Cougar

More people with reserved seats on The Sun Ship.

When the cleaners are in at work, they put a sign on the door, “toilets being cleaned by female operative.” Whoever wrote that is Golgafrinchan B-Ark material for sure.

binners

I’m with you comrade. Using the words colleague, partner, or even worse … stakeholder, when what they really mean is drone or serf, should be punished by being fired into the sun! But only after being forced, Clockwork Orange style, to watch every Adam Sandler film, back to back, twice.

Harry_the_Spider

Stakeholder

Not a stakeholder

Aisle or window seat sir?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Steak holder.

Steak Holder

ninfan
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    A simple comparative guide to what is pie and what is not pie.

Pie
    Hair
    Not Pie
    Not Hair

phiiiiil

Overseas with work a while back; the canteen had “beef pie” and “spaghetti bolognese” on the menu one day. It turns out it was the same beef-and-things-in-sauce, just one came with spaghetti and the other came with a little square of some funny pastry plonked on top. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a looser fit to the word “pie”…

dustytrails

That ^^ is obviously not a Pie….You don’t put a Pie on a plate with Roast spuds

HAS TO BE MASH OR CHIPS (PROPER CHIPS)——IT’S THE LAW!!!

AND BROCCOLI— WTF –NOT WITH A PIE

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hairy pie?

Went out of fashion in the 80s, I believe.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Shepherd pie, cottage pie, fish pie.

Surely the definition is a filling with a lid that is cooked in place?

*runs away*

binners

As this picture of the legendary Cow Pie at the George Hotel in Keswick clearly shows, its pie, chips and gravy that are the essential ingredients. The other bits are just added as a sort of garnish, to add a splash of colour. And you wouldn’t eat them as that will fill valuable tummy space that could instead be filled with more pie

Cougar

Are they… frozen chips?

😯

mogrim

That pie seems to be lacking crust on the near side, too. Not a pie at all, really.

binners

If you went into the George and stated that their Cow Pie isn’t actually a pie at all, I doubt you’d make it out alive. It is the Mecca for aficionado’s of the crust. And that is heresy!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Oi! Binners! What have you started…!’ is closed to new replies.