Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The sound of silence
  • Bumhands
    Free Member

Just wondered if you all were as fussy as me.

Rubbing, clicking (not hub), squeaking or any other unwanted noise coming from
    my, bikes has to be sorted.

Wondered if any of you share this affliction or can live with the odd noise?

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

I can’t stand any sound that shouldn’t be there coming from my bike. It puts me right off my riding, especially if it’s a crank squeak or click and there’s some regular cadence going on.

And I can’t believe what others put up with on their bikes.

matt_outandabout

To an extent I agree – but lets face it, there are good noises, bad noises and noises that you know what to fix on it, but you are enjoing the ride too much to stop…

(but yes, a nice quiet properly functioning bike is nice)

jam-bo

i ride an orange 5. its like riding a drumkit sometimes.

you get used to it.

juan
    Free Member

Doesn’t bother me on the MTB.
    However, since I have removed the gears on my road bike, I find that a nice change.

psychle
    Free Member

I’m being driven spare by an impossible to locate creak on my bike… it’s a FS carbon frame so it could be coming from anywhere. I’m going mad trying to find it and I’m sure I’ll crash at some point with the weird contortions I’m getting into as I bend and flex around whilst riding to get my ear in various spots!

So yes, I like the sound of silence…

trailmonkey

Noises coming from the front end worry me. Other noises, I can live with.

tinsy
    Free Member

Crank just started creaking on climbs 😕

Mister-P
    Free Member

My geared road bike is silent. Both my singlespeed road and MTB bikes are making a slight noise from the freewheels but they have done some miles and just need a bit of gentle love. The only noises when riding should be wheels on the ground and my gentle weeping as I struggle up hills.

ScotlandTheScared

Any noise that is not supposed to be there is unacceptable! Its one of the reasons I got rid of my full suss – too many things to keep quiet!

However, nowadays I just freewheel (hope pro2) to drown out any unwanted noise.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I used to spend hours removing noises but now I can live with them. If you like noisey bikes buy a San Andreas. The mono-cock is the Marhsall amp of the bike world.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yep, any noise that isn’t suppose to be there has to go!

My 02 Enduro was the noisiest bike I ever had, blowing and sucking Marzocchi’s – oo’er – slapping chain, creaking and cracking … unfortunately the creaking and cracking turned out to be a split in the frame welds, so I get suspicious of odd noises now!

My new-ish bike has a bit of brake hose/gear cable knocking at the front end when going over stutter type bumbs, so there I am looking over and down and reaching over to hold the cables to see which one it is … I’m surprised I haven’t gone @rse over t!t yet! 😆

D0NK

Did a looong (7hrs-ish) ride in the lakes earlier this year the front disc pads weren’t retracting quite enough, cue scree scree scree noise from disc, not enough to cause any real drag but after 6 hours it was driving me mental, so much so I stopped and shouted at my bike, quite a lot of abuse too. I popped a power gel and I calmed down a bit.

For silent running singlespeeds are they way, my pompino and inbred are really quiet for quite a while after a clean and lube.

matt_outandabout

What about noises I make, not the bike?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The sound of silence’ is closed to new replies.