Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • The Slab-Gisburn
  • fairhurst
    Free Member

😯 i think that is it’s nickname?

Me and my colleagues could’nt quite get our courage up to try it.
    Hence any help-tips much needed

thank you

nbt

moderate speed, make sure your wieght is centred over the bike as you go down (that doesn’t mean hanging your arse so far back your bum is acting as a brake on the tyre!) and stay off the front brake

Junkyard
    Free Member

MTFU and just do it, dont think about it too much and it is very rideable. I have never seen an off there tbh and i have been 3 times !!!

climbingkev
    Free Member

Roll in steady, keep off the front break, weight centre/back a little, chin up.

You’ll look back and think WTF was all the fuss about.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Relax and look up. you don’t need to do much apart from try and get as much speed for those berms after.

fairhurst
    Free Member

MTFU what is that?

I think if i go back i will wear suitable protection for it,and maybe then i will be able to give it a real go.

i would have thought leaning right back was the way it was done.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Suitable protection? Take it you mean a helmet (oh no what have I done there)

Just ride up to it, look down it, pick a line – down the middle – and roll with it, pretty easy to be fair with an easy incident free run out

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Just follow someone’s wheel after they ride down it, shift your weight back, go easy on the front back and don’t lock up the rear.

Riksbar

Remember that it’s designed to be rideable, there are no surprises if you follow the tips above.

And + 1 MTFU :mrgreen:

Junkyard
    Free Member

man the f word up= basically just ride it.
    It is not technical in any real sense and it was made to be ridden so it is just a test of nerve

carlosg
    Free Member

As above , the slab is more a mental thing. I’ve done it on both my 6″ travel bike and my 4″ hardtail , easy once you’ve done it though 😆

Gribs

It does look intimidating from the top but if you roll straight down the middle with your weight over the back it’s easy enough. In fact I’d say it’s easier than the rocky section in Home Baked.

tomaso
    Free Member

I did it in the dark and it was all over in a couple of seconds…

Junkyard
    Free Member

your partner is very lucky 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

I am just looking at it on youtube. Of course with the angles shown it looks like nothing, just as Dalbeattie’s slab can. Are there any photos showing it from the top?

glenh
    Free Member

I did it in the dark and it was all over in a couple of seconds…

I did when it was wet and it was slippery and fun.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You could go down it wearing a zorb – if you come off, you’re going to damage yourself no matter what you’re wearing. Best take a quick look and then roll into it. Whatever you do, don’t stop after you’ve passed the rock at the top. Look for the run-out at the bottom and straightline it with the back brake covered and your weight back. To be honest, the ride up there is more difficult than the slab itself.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Compared to the Dalbeattie slab, its much quicker – one line and its pretty smooth. Dalbeatties is kinda multi line with holes and stuff. Both offer excellent opportunity to hurt yourself but both are dead straightforward once you’ve done it… The qualifier at DB is MUCh harder than the slab IMHO.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

the slab? are you joking? its easy, just lean back and relax 😀

Pook

I’m the first bloke in this vid.

[video]http://vimeo.com/19009166[/video]

and in this (better) vid, the slab is at 0:39 seconds
    [video]http://vimeo.com/10976671[/video]

Bunnyhop

Nice one Pook.

Me too chicken to ride the slab, didn’t want to break my nails.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Is it like the one at Lagan?

[video]http://vimeo.com/12275658[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This is embarassing, I thought you were supposed to be mountain bikers?

No wonder mountain biking isnt cool anymore.

Stevelol
    Free Member

First time I went there I rode that section then stopped to wait for a friend, we then turned and both said “oh, that must have been the slab??”.

It’s really nothing technical. My advice is actually DONT have all your weight back, you should rarely have your arms straight (locked out) as you will have zero control over your direction. Aldo stay loose as if you keep off the brakes it’s quite rough.

james
    Free Member

mountain biking was cool?

as above gisburn slab isnt that difficult technically/physically/etc. Its just a mental thing to get your head around
    Granted there is a bit of overall height to it, it has some slabby lumpiness and some changes in steepness, but it a straight line once you’ve rolled in, theres plenty of run out and the openness means you can see/assess it as you like, plus its not really that steep

I reckon the first black option at Lee Quarry (very early on) thats quite similar on visual appearance is probably slightly steeper/lumpier, it just doesn’t look it being in a hole. Even that will go with your saddle up

fairhurst
    Free Member

Thank you for all your advice
    You all sound like experienced mountain bikers compared to one self!
    I for one shall be wearing body armour and knee shin pads if I tackle this in the near future.
    I have taken onboard these tips and shall practice them in due course

wwaswas

you’ll be fine.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WblDIw0lb1o[/video]

crispo
    Free Member

WOW its amazing how much lift you can get from the rotors going so slowly!! 😆

woody2000

Only tried the Gisburn slab once, it was so windy I just couldn’t get a nice run in. Gave up in the end 🙄

Won’t be trying it again mind as I thought the rest of it was pretty dull and decided not to go back! 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

glenh – Member

I did when it was wet and it was slippery and fun.

You mean they also have dry weather in Gisburn?

Bunnyhop

I don’t care if mtbing is cool or not, I love it.

After being off the bike for months at the time over the last 5 years, I now treasure every ride and take every opportunity to ride 🙂

phil56

I was thrilled when I did it – until I watched the video afterwards! I can’t believe how lame it looks!
    [video]http://vimeo.com/39042307[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/39042210[/video]

grum
    Free Member

MTFU and just do it, dont think about it too much and it is very rideable.

man the f word up= basically just ride it.
    It is not technical in any real sense and it was made to be ridden so it is just a test of nerve

Interesting JY. I’m trying to remember what happened when we went to Gisburn, did you follow this sterling advice?

Pook

oops. for some reason I’ve read stainburn. eejit.

xiphon
    Free Member

What’s the fuss about? 😯

glenh
    Free Member

Dunno. It is definitely quite a bit steeper than those videos make it look, but it’s certainly not hard to ride, if you can manage riding a bike in straight line.

Pezzers
    Free Member

Werewolf drop at Cannock chase is more challenging than that!

grum
    Free Member

Werewolf drop at Cannock chase is more challenging than that!

Maybe, but it also looks incredibly tame in videos. There isn’t anything hard about the slab at Gisburn (unless you’re Junkyard), but it does look more intimidating right at the top of it. Like most of these things once you roll over the top you realise it’s fine. Or you do this 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XPPQyI3i_U[/video]

fairhurst
    Free Member

I think that was a sterling effort from that rider in the video,

we all pushed round it in the end.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Check out the mcmoab ‘slab’ feature at the end of the trail, now that made my bum go like a bit like a rabbit’s nose for a second.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘The Slab-Gisburn’ is closed to new replies.