Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • The rumour mill at full tilt (Man U content)
  • donks
    Free Member

Just picked up off Facebook that rumour has it moyes has been sacked and the bookies have good odds on Fergie to return!! No more substance than I heard it on Facebook mind!

oldboy
    Free Member

Facebook? It must be true then!

hounslow
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty sorry state at United. Rumours flying around about all sorts of things, for instance Joey Barton was tweeting how he had heard Vidic changes away from the rest of the team like an outcast. Pundits and journos alike were scathing yesterday, can’t see how Moyes can continue past this season.

slackalice
    Free Member

Well if that’s true, I hope Moyes has got a very good termination clause. If Fergie returns and turns things around, poor old Mr Moyes won’t be getting any future interviews, except maybe from the lower leagues.

binners

I’ve heard it’s Fergies long term plan to leave on a high, watch the inevitable disaster, see the share price drop, then buy the club with a consortium he already has in place, and return as manager to 25 more glorious years, as he’s discovered the elixir of eternal life. Red wine .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Moyes’ body language and the photo of him slumped in a chair last night made me think of the Wally with a brolly headlines. He has the aura of a man in deep, deep trouble. Even with Man Us patience, I would not be confident that this will have a positive outcome. I am against short termism generally but equally you also need to know when to cut your loses. That time may be sooner rather than later.

binners

He needs to start inflicting actual physical damage to players, a la Fergie in Beckham-boot-gate. Who would he start with though? Smalling? Cleverly? Young? Nani (even though he never played – he deserves it!). Rooney is ripe for a shoe-ing, surely?

He could have sent Roy Keane in last night to do it for him!

PrinceJohn

A lot of people have said he can’t manage the world class players at united..

So what about the players that aren’t Rooney or Juan Mata?

zippykona

Brendan Rodgers didn’t start too good either but look at him now. The man needs a year to sort it out.
    At least let West Ham play Man U before they get a good manager.

PrinceJohn

Brendan Rodgers didn’t start too good either but look at him now.

But he didn’t have the best team in the league when he started…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

he’s gotta go (and I don’t even watch footy any more)

Jamie
    Free Member

edward2000
    Free Member

Binners, maybe Cantona should manage Man U?

grum
    Free Member

I heard Rooney was taking over as manager.

ourmaninthenorth

[quoteBut he didn’t have the best team in the league when he started…[/quote]

Hateful though I find it to be a United apologist (the crowing that went on for years was pretty unbearable), that’s not altogether true – he inherited a team which was reasonable at the back and good at the front, but as useful as a wet fart in a wetsuit in the midfield compared with Arsenal, Chelsea and City this year.

In other words, they’ve been left behind. As I suspect Moyes is wishing he had been….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not been around as much this season but I heard a rumour it was due to them being a bit crap really. There is only so much you can blame a manager when your players don’t play well.

There are 2 ways to win the league, 500 million quid or some consistency. I really hope Arsenal win this year and Newcastle finish above Man U.

hora
    Free Member

Binners you plastic-Man U fan! Get a shirt, ticket bought!

D0NK

Is that higher or lower on the hora scale of contempt than a plastic liberal?

martinhutch

They can’t sack him. How will they be able to do that smug ‘why do you keep sacking managers, no wonder you can’t succeed!’ at City any more?

It’s bad enough for them having to get rid of the ‘…years since City won anything’ sign from the Stretford End.

soobalias
    Free Member

I am against short termism generally but equally you also need to know when to cut your loses. That time may be sooner rather than later.

wow

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think not winning the PL this year was expected but missing the Champions League places by miles that’s a shocker. RVP’s fantastic season and the implosion of the oppoistion last year covered up the fact that Man U where on borrowed time. They’ve been found out this year, sadly for Moyes it’s not really his fault but his only preseason purchase being Felini is something he cannot shy away from. Unless Man U finish season strongly, and that’s looking less and less likely, Moyes will be gone.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He has the aura of a man in deep, deep trouble

He has that aura because he is

It may be a public example of the Peter principle in work

Excellent at amking poor players a brilliant team through hard work and planning. Poor at making good players play well

He ha snot been helped by the team [aging, lack of talent and injuries] or luck though.

He does need more time but it is very hard to see fergie or Jose reigning over a mess like this

he needs to sort it and very very quickly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think not winning the PL this year was expected but missing the Champions League places by miles that’s a shocker.

1 Chelsea 27 28 60
    2 Arsenal 27 25 59
    3 Man City 26 42 57
    4 Liverpool 27 35 56
    5 Tottenham 27 3 50
    6 Man Utd 27 12 45

18 Sunderland 26 -16 24
    19 Cardiff 27 -29 22
    20 Fulham 27 -32 21
    I know Man U fans often live in different countries but sometimes they sound like they are on a different planet. 6th is not miles away.

Perhaps he didn’t have the first day speech…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBj_qAJtRA[/video]

thered

I understand that it’s only Coral that have stopped taking bets on him being sacked but the hierarchy at OT are concerned that he seems overawed by the job.

BTW Vida has never been universally popular in the dressing room.

PS: Barton is a weapon of the highest order.

yossarian
    Free Member

United need to spend big in the summer. Really big.

Would you trust moyes to attract the right players and mold them into a title winning team on the basis of this year’s performances?

weeksy

yossarian – Member
    United need to spend big in the summer. Really big.

No, tehy really don’t. Neither Rodgers nor Martinez (formerly Moyes) have not spend big…. but are in better positions than Utd.

Utd need to spend wisely…. there’s a massive difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

United need to spendsell big in the summer. Really big.

Ditch the names who don’t perform and rebuild a team for the future. If you buy a team this year you will need another in 2 years and another after that.

Edit Newcastle are just behind having sold out best players…

Carbis

It’s well known that van Persie was unhappy about fergie’s retirement, as he’d told him that he was doing at least another 2 years when he signed. Both Mata’s and Rooney’s contracts have large buyout clauses should united not make the champions league. United have the finances to spend their way back up the table in the summer.

bearnecessities

Someone suggested to me many months ago (start of season), that the club knew Moyes would most likely struggle. They’d give him a season, then boot him, then bring in one of the big guns.

Reason? Impossible to bring in anyonme ‘bigger’ than fergie to the role, and anyone would suffer a dip in form taking the helm. Better to let that happen to moyes, then there would be the fans’ sense of hope by installing a ‘better’ manager.

I don’t really follow football too much; thought that was an interesting/plausible theory though.

beagle
    Free Member

^ Which is why they gave him such a long contract?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The trick with long contracts is to get him to resign….

slackalice
    Free Member

The fact that Ferguson and the board had no succession planning in place for both the squad and coaching staff show how their arrogance, ego’s and ineptitude became bigger than the club.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not sure you could put “ineptitude” and “Ferguson” in the same sentence without a negative or a “Sarah” in there somewhere. In hindsight, it’s easy to muse that Moyes is someone to take the heat for not being ferguson for a year, but I don’t think this is true. I’m sure fans and the board could handle not winning it for a few seasons, but nobody could have foreseen the dip in form and the probability of no UCL football at OT next year. Especially as the noisy neighbours are favourites for the title and the focus of most of their tribal hatred is having an excellent season and scoring lots of goals.

slackalice
    Free Member

But to agree to no continuity? To allow the whole of the 1st team coaching staff to leave?

Any successful business to do that would be considered tantamount to commercial suicide.

Their delusions have come to bite them and I stand by my comment that Ferguson was not a great manager, purely by the fact that he left with no succession planning in place, at a stroke, it makes all his previous years of hard work and success somewhat tainted.

A good manager will work towards making themselves redundant, I.e. The organisation can continue to function as well and as successfully with or without them. He has failed massively in that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ferguson was not a great manager

Yeah, right. Seriously?

Look, I don’t like him either. Never have. He’s probably the greatest manager the top division has ever seen. Only Paisley can stand alongside him in terms of success. He was persuaded to stay on a few years after he originally wanted to retire.

That Moyes was allowed to get rid of most of the back room staff and bring his own (used to lower expectations and less expensive players at Everton) in is the fault of the board, not Fergie’s.

How anyone can say he was not a good manager just because the wheels are coming off now he’s gone is beyond me.

weeksy

I’m a passionate Liverpool fan, but it’s impossible to deny Ferguson was a great manager…

hora
    Free Member

How about Steve Mclaren or Sven Goran Eriksson?

😆

grum
    Free Member

Ferguson was clearly a great manager but I think his ego couldn’t handle having a big name come in and be successful straight after him.

martinhutch

Ferguson was not a great manager, purely by the fact that he left with no succession planning in place, at a stroke, it makes all his previous years of hard work and success somewhat tainted.

Cobblers. Was he supposed to saddle the new guy with a load of acquisitions he may not have wanted? It’s true the team is firmly on the downward side of the cycle, and the poor form of various players has compounded that.

Ferguson is, annoyingly, probably the greatest manager the top division has seen.

He left Moyes some transfer money to spend, Moyes spent it pretty badly. I still wouldn’t sack him – the board surely must see the parallels to Ferguson’s second season (which was much, much worse overall in league terms), and stick by the new manager.

slackalice
    Free Member

Okay, he was a great manager, he achieved much and consistently too. I take your points and agree that he was a great team manager.

So why didn’t he have any squad succession planning in place? Where are the fruits of his labours with the youth and player development system ? At one point about 20 years ago, they were queue ing up to get into the first team.

I guess we all can’t be great at all aspects of management. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘The rumour mill at full tilt (Man U content)’ is closed to new replies.