Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • The Pendle witches
  • plumber
    Free Member

(Why did my mum & dad have to buy a house on to of a 1000' hill ?)

Thats still a bitch of a climb to me.

Last time I was there I was surprised to see the 'clarion'? hut still open for T.

I can't wait to get back home. This post has made me very home sick!

Plum

Harry_the_Spider

Coming down that hill towards Roughlee on my V braked Scott Octane about 10 years back I lost it and ran wide on the left-hander and ended up passing a car coming the other way on the wrong side, about an inch from the grass and a nasty pile up.

Scarier than any any cub camp ghost story!

Somebody should organize a Halloween ride up there. Wooo!

stumpyjon

Scariest thing about the nick of Pendle is the way people drive over it (I go to work that way everyday), everything from boy racers on the wrong side of the road on the blind bends to old folk out for 'a drive' doing 20 👿 .

The climb is pretty horrendous, especially on the way home, go around via Read now, longer but quicker.

Last year the killjoys banned the festivities, think the police closed the road, I think but could be wrong it was to do with fear of people getting pissed and hurting themselves up on the hill. Shame really because it was turning into quite an event (although come Nov 1st the place looks like someone has emptied a dustbin wagon all over the road, fair dos to the council though it gets cleaned up pretty quickly.

rax92f
    Free Member

would struggle to stop you riding up the bridelway from whalley – the one from teh back of spring wood that comes out on the nik of pendle…..i wonder how much stella i could get in my camelbak!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

a Halloween ride up there. Wooo!

Halloween is a Saturday this year… got me thinking now….
    From Barley – straight up Pendle – back down Ogden Clough ???

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

for those that went to st augustines in billington (as did I)

My missus went there and remembers Mr Rose, she's just said that he was a boring git! I received a far superior education down the road at Clitheroe Grammar! 😉 we are always arguing where we will send our kids!

Yeah I'd heard that they had banned people going up there last year. Shame really.

It really is a fantastic area to live in. Most of my family and inlaws are dotted all over the ribble valley with me slap bang in the middle in Whalley. Its making me smile reading peoples experiences of the area!

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry, but someone had to type it – It's not quite Pendle, but my mother-in-law lives in Rossendale and she's a F***ing Witch!

RustySpanner

This thread has brought back a few memories – I remember the dingy old Scout/Cub hostel in Roughlee very well indeed. Never knew it was Nutter's house though, might explain a few things!
    We used to really wind up poor old Woodsmoke by pretending to be stupid city kids who didn't know where milk came from, asking him what type of horses the cattle were etc.
    53rd Mount Carmel, Manchester, BTW. 🙂

From what I remember he was part of a breakaway Scouting movement – he still wore shorts and one of the old fashioned wide-brimmed hats.
    I quite liked the old git, TBH.
    Good times.

Downham has some really good memories for me, drives out on a Sunday with my folks when I was young. Still go back every now and then just for a sentimental wander round the churchyard.

lowey

Been up Pendle on a few Haloween's when I was younger. The hill was proper packed.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘The Pendle witches’ is closed to new replies.