Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • The motorbikers nod
  • epicyclo

barnsleymitch – Member
    …where can I get some of them overexposed mammaries for the missus?…

My son's girlfriends seem to have hit on the motherlode, but my missus doesn't like me window shopping… 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its all about removing the spark arrestors and flicking the killswitch 🙂

nod

ride past

moment of slience

then

BOOOOOMMMMMM CRACKLE crackle crackle

Oh and for groups In just raised my hand off the throttle, not sure what to do for realy big groups though youd end up stationary!

Marge
    Free Member

Blimey
    This thread is all a bit firey…

I ride / have ridden all sorts but currenly have a GS Adv & Kawa ZX9R and do about 25k km per year.
    I wave a hand (or a leg)to all of the bikers I see (though not perhaps the 50cc riders in the village :-)).

The bond between riders is the suffering we go through for the pleasure of riding. The crap weather / the 'moments' we experience with cars turning across us.

If they don't wave back f*ck em. It's them that are missing the point of it & it is their loss. Maybe they are weekend warriors that spend more time reading mags & polishing it than using it hence don't appreciate what makes the bond.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rant time, I think —

Back on topic, WHY would you ignore a specific type of rider? Why?
    That really does to me, defeat the whole object. I case you hadn't noticed bikes and bikers are getting a bit of a raw deal in the UK at the minute, and the last thing we need is infighting and bigotry like this. (United we stand, divided we fall) It's THE most blinkered and selfish stance I can think of, and it will do nothing other than make you a sad old twunt.
    So where do you draw the line? Don't nod at Harley riders, don't stop to help one who's run out of fuel in the pouring rain? Ignore scooterists, leave a 17yo 'kid' stranded in the dark?

Take a long hard look at yourselves. Pathetic.

Keva
    Free Member

surely nobody would nod at those pensioners on Gold Wings though, except caravaners perhaps ? 😉

Kev

epicsteve
    Free Member

had a test ride on a Monster 696

Never fancied a monster as they don't suit my style of riding (I quite often do 500 mile days) – might consider one if I lived somewhere like London though. I'd be more likely to buy a Ducati sportsbike as a trackday/Sunday plaything.

epicsteve
    Free Member

So where do you draw the line? Don't nod at Harley riders, don't stop to help one who's run out of fuel in the pouring rain? Ignore scooterists, leave a 17yo 'kid' stranded in the dark?

I'll nod to anyone one a motorbike. I have stopped and helped scooterists on a couple of occasions (including a chap who'd got a puncture when doing a end-to-end on one), but don't nod or wave to them.

Pigface
    Free Member

PeteP dont know how long you have ridden bikes but there has always been divisions and in fighting. As a courier on circuit in London in the early 80's you were considered beneath contempt by other bikers. That was fine as we thought we were the ultimate bikers, going through the winter on the road every day.

Going to the trial on Sunday my mate Barry who has ridden road bikes since he was 16 now 49 saw a full dress Gold Wing and just started ranting about how the rider might as well have a car. He is the most level headed person I know, I was shocked and also pi$$ing myself. We all have prejudices and most arent rational.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

May I just point out that my BMW was a R1100RS not a GS? and that I have never owned any BMW clothing and it had a race pipe?

Jeezo there are a few on here who just don't get a joke.

As for the nodding – I don't see why I am supposed to have some bond with all these folk I don't know – hence I will wave if there is some sort of shared experience – a particularly nice or horrible day for example but wave to every biker you see? Why. It ain't a lifestyle no more

simon_g

I nod everyone, although scooterists (and indeed most bikers in London) don't bother doing it back 😀

I have to say, if I was cutting through traffic on a daily basis a reasonably quick scooter would be the way to go. The steering lock on my Monster is so bad you can pretty much forget swapping lanes in stationary traffic. Plus you could stash your helmet under the seat, and your shopping there when you come back.

Pigface
    Free Member

Race pipe!!! you anti social noisy git 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

have to say, if I was cutting through traffic on a daily basis a reasonably quick scooter would be the way to go.

Not for me – two-stroke trail bike is what I'd do. When I used to commute into Edinburgh regularily I often used a Honda CRM250R (basically a road-legal MX with slightly toned down power and better power delivery) – it was tremendous fun.

Trimix
    Free Member

Go to France, they wave with both arms and legs, much more friendly than here. Also because they ride on the right they can wave with the left hand enthusiastically. Unlike us reserved brits.

bodger
    Free Member

I've been riding guzzis for 20 years now, and no bugger seems to see them! (except coppers)

juan
    Free Member

Go to France, they wave with both arms and legs, much more friendly than here. Also because they ride on the right they can wave with the left hand enthusiastically. Unlike us reserved brits.

Left hand wave = hello to fellow biker (or a nod if you have your hand busy)
    Right (or left) foot down = thank you when someone move out of the way.

BMW/HD is about the same than in UK. Scooter over 50cc are the enemy. And to be fair they deserve it. Almost been cut in two by th fecker in tmax on the motorway this morning who thought it was ok to undertake on the service lane.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

great post, i have been riding still on L plates for a year now, 90% of other bikers do give me the nod but theres a few that dont probably because i have L plates on.

sometimes i do forget to give a nod back as im concentrating on not being killed and getting home to ride another day.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

epicyclo – up yours. I'm not fat, and my wife certainly isnt. My Harley has no 'useless shiny tack' on it, I ride day in, day out, whatever the weather, and the only scowl you'll get from me is when I'm kicking your b***ocks from under you. I've been riding bikes for thirty years, everything from sports bikes to my current street bob, and have never knocked other people for what bikes they choose to ride, and dont understand why you would want to do so. As far as your comments about outlaws go, you really need to be careful with that sort of s**t.

wow, harley riders, eh? the whining keeps going long after the engine's stopped.
    Did you practice that last bit whilst scowling in your bathroom mirror?

BTW I have it on good authority that most gold wing riders don't wave back because the Auto Wave Back button is disabled by default.

alwyn
    Free Member

Never nod a scooter.

anagallis_arvensis

so in summary, ignore scooter riders there scum, ignore Harley riders they are easily wound up but most people will ignore me as I'm a Euan wannabe on a BMW.

Pigface
    Free Member

You wish you were a Euan wannabe you dont have enough cylinders 😉

anagallis_arvensis

You wish you were a Euan wannabe

****, does that make me a charlie wannabe?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – thats about right – apart from the reason motorcyclists hate scooters is they hate how cool a scooter can be.

Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck from " Roman Holiday" for the young and ignorant

Oh – and BMW riders have always been derided – even before charlie and Ewan got theirs.

epicyclo

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member –
    wow, harley riders, eh? the whining keeps going long after the engine's stopped.
    Did you practice that last bit whilst scowling in your bathroom mirror?…

Fair go mate, he saw the joke later. Read his next post.

We have discovered a common interest in overexposed mammaries. 🙂

BTW I may have found some right here in STW about 21 posts down

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘The motorbikers nod’ is closed to new replies.