Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The mech hanger scam.
  • ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Last night a twig caught on my derraileur and snapped the hanger in two leaving the rear mech caught in the spokes an the chain twisted through 180 degrees.

I've now bust 2 mech hangers in 7 days, which is 2 more than I bent in the previous 14 years of mtbing.

New hanger for my hardrock cost £15.99, not bad considering the bike only cost £325 new…..

Hanger for my Marin Eastpeak cost £21! which is slightly easier to swallow when the bike cost £1300

Are mech hangers a licence to prit money.

druidh
    Free Member

It would have been much better if the frame had bent, aye?

clubber
    Free Member

If they are then why don't you set up a company making them, undercut the existing ones and get rich quick!?

😉

DezB
    Free Member

All depends on the bike – Yeti ones, which fit Pro-flex/K2 amongst others, are available for £9.99 (not bad for a £1300 frame) and cheaper on Ebay (sometimes).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd look at that as 2 bent hangers in 14 years and 1 week rather than 2 in 1 week, but hey, you do your own statistics.

Wozza
    Free Member

If they are then why don't you set up a company making them, undercut the existing ones and get rich quick!?

It's called BETD.

glenh
    Free Member

I think the problem is low production runs, as virtually every bike has a different design.

If manufacturers could agree on a standard then they would be cheap….

jedi

on the 8th day god invented hanger bangers

MS
    Free Member

It's not like you can run your bike without them (except SS) so really they can charge high prices!

Not good for us customers but I guess its good business!

teacake
    Free Member

singlespeed

montylikesbeer

I keep a spare in my pack and replace it from this bloke from Israel on ebay

vinnyeh

on-one banger hanger. 3 quid.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Small item, low requirement (not in you case 😉 ), high prices in relation to the item?

BigDummy
    Free Member

[chuckles at cynic_al].

You takes your choice. A steel frame the hanger will bend. You bend it back. You can do that a fair few times. An alu frame won't bend back, so you have a separate hanger to save writing off the frame every time you catch the mech.

£16 is a hell of a lot less than £325 whichever way you look at it. 🙂

colande
    Free Member

yup £21 when i broke my one
    what a kick in the nuts when my whole bike build cost me £280,
    after the frame and forks it was the most expensive thing i had bought on the bike 😀

i can kinda understand why they cost so much,
    small quantities made/machined, in a uk workshop (betd that is)

better than writing off a frame i suppose

D0NK

Hanger-bangers…ripping off your rear mech will trash your alloy frame so it comes with a breakaway hanger. Hanger bangers will re-inforce the breakaway hanger.

Is it only me who sees a problem there?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hager banger + cheep roadie mechs is the way foreward. Usualy its a strong enough setup to shrug off most impacts that would snap the hanger, and roadie mechs are 10 a penny.

I'm getting impaitient, will rolhoff please hurry up and make a 14speed BB!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how does a hanger banger help. surely that stiffens up the hanger and negates the purpose, leading to a broken mech or damaged frame instead?

stumpy01

Marin ones seem particularly soft.

In Spain last month, one bloke broke 2 mech hangers in a week. His g/f broke 1 – both riding Marins.

No one else broke/bent a hanger. You could argue that it's much better that the hanger is soft, but perhaps the Marin ones are a little OTT?

Keva
    Free Member

I went through a phase of bending mech hangers on my old GT years and years ago, did three in fairly short space of time. Turned out that the slighlty bent which I hadn't managed to straighten properly was upsetting the chainline. Once I'd bought a new mech problem was solved.

Kev

foxyrider
    Free Member

Marin ones seem particularly soft.

Mine broke when it fell over on teh drive!

Replaced with BETD ones – Got a brand new MV hanger if anyone wants 🙂 (Cheeky post)

trail_rat
    Free Member

stumpy you could also argue that that the dude in spains maintanance skills are lacking …..

Wheels manufacturing do em but again 21.99 – very much the quality of BETD one

Although i found the BETD ones to be brittle and snapped rather than bending – you can usually adjust a bent hanger to get you home a snapped hanger is no use to man nor beast.

jedi

i have used hanger bangers for years now and have never done a mech.
    i have seen/had hangers bend and the mech get mangled in the spokes many times.
    nor have i seen any frame break/crack due to hanger banger use.

VanHalen

Jedi beat me to it.

i was about to post that when the mech hanger breaks you end up trashing hte mech and chain at least. you are lucky if the rear wheel survives.

id rather trash a mech.

darwinius
    Free Member

A number of us have suffered the same problem too many times so came up with a design that's universal and temporary, i.e. you only use it to get you home. This at least means you don't have to pay ridiculous money for a new one before the event.

Typically, we haven't snapped one since.

jedi

<high5's van halen>

stumpy01

The Marin ones seem to yield so easily that when you try to straighten them, they just snap straight off.

Trailrat, I am not sure how you could argue that the guys maintenance skills were lacking because his hanger snapped twice (although he actually knows pretty much sweet FA about bikes)….it was a new Marin bought about 2 months before we all went to Spain and ridden perhaps once a week.
    The frame wasn't bent, nor the mech.

You could argue that perhaps he was banging into things he shouldn't have been, but I don't see where maintenance comes into it?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘The mech hanger scam.’ is closed to new replies.