Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The Jompy – I want one!!!!!
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I appreciate that wanting one of these makes me an uber camping geek, but I HATE waiting for 15 mins on the side of a mountain in winter just to get some hot food/water.

The Jompy

druidh
    Free Member

I saw this on grough eariler this week. Looks clever, and you can use it while you’re heating up another pan too!

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/02/14/jompy-provides-novel-water-heating-system-for-campers

peterfile
    Free Member

yeah, i think i ended up at Grough too via MWIS.

The big ones can be used on a campfire which is pretty cool, but they are bloody massive!

The small one seems to be useful (i.e. getting hot water while getting a pan hot too), but wonder if it would be a faff when out in the cold on the side of a hill?

The hanging water bottle design makes me think of medics getting fluids into a soldier who’s just been shot on the battlefield!

maccruiskeen

The hanging water bottle design makes me think of medics getting fluids into a soldier who’s just been shot on the battlefield!

So with the Jompy they could make the stricken soldier a nice hot sweet tea at the same time 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Am I missing something here but the water will be cooling in the collecting pan and only gets to 85c anyway.

OK in Africa where you want to boil the water for bug killing but I don’t see it making a huge difference in Scottish wild camping.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Jetboil FTW.

peterfile
    Free Member

don’t see it making a huge difference in Scottish wild camping.

Aye it would 🙂

You never fancied a coffee/brew on the hill in winter when the weather is horrid but know how futile it would be getting out a stove and spending 20 mins trying to sort one out?

Main benefit for me would actually be wild camping though. I tend to carry those wayfarer type meals on wild camps (they taste alright and save a lot of hassle), so you could quickly heat up enough water to 85 degrees, whack in the wayfarers and then stick the lot on the stove. Would take about 10-15 mins off the total cooking time in winter.

Jetboil FTW.

Can you cook 2 people’s worth of food in a jetboil though? I didn’t think the pot and stove were detachable? So you’d have to take a separate stove and pot for cooking in?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Peterfile

right – I can make a brew in a couple of minutes with my stove and the problem with that is that the water is only 85C as it comes out – and at 300 ml every 90 seconds – so the first bit run thru will be cold in 90 seconds even using an insulted pan won’t be a great help.

for me – solution in search of a problem. neat solution but not one I have a need for

josh1982
    Free Member

jet boil sumo……..end of

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The Jompy – I want one!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.