• This topic has 103 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • The "Edinburgh Defence"
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Unrelated to TJ, I do find the “STW is crap” moaners mystifying. Why kee P coming here, never mind posting, if it’s so shite?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

People still talking about the “good ol’ bad ol’ days”?
    Grim.

Fwiw, some of the aforementioned folk knew each other in the real world. Which is a bit different.

TheFlyingOx

For those wondering how TJ is faring in real life, his dogged unwillingness to yield is proving extremely useful against Edinburgh Council with its ongoing Property Repairs scandal. The level of incompetence and fraud he (and his building co-owners) have been subjected to is breathtaking, and his refusal to give even an inch in the past few years will ultimately be of great benefit to the rest of the people affected. Me included. I have nothing but respect for the man.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I could write an essay on this!

The Edinburgh “defence” was no such thing – TJ and I would post stuff up as a laugh not realising folk would take it seriously.

I can accept I was a knob, but the my arguing with TJ was borne of my frustration at him (as his of me I expect).

Pigface
    Free Member

Yeah but you did goad him mercylessly even when he asked you to stop.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you did al and you knew what you were doing where as TJ could not stop himself

Big difference IMHO though neither is admirable.
    FWIW i never had an issue with either of you.

nickc

you did al and you knew what you were doing where as TJ could not stop himself

You make it sound as if TJ had no choice in the matter. He routinely made it clear on here that he could not ‘not reply’ he acknowledged on more than one occasion that he got a ban for this alone…

If TJ had learned to walk away, he’d still be on the forum now

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given he did not stop and got banned for it I am not sure what your point is tbh.
    He got warned , he could not stop, he got banned Does that sound like someone who could stop?
    I still think there was no malice from him on here [ unlike those who went for him] and i can forgive him his faults.

Pigface
    Free Member

So if someone is deliberately winding you up you should walk away?

D0NK

Why kee P coming here, never mind posting, if it’s so shite?

can’t decide if typo or subliminal premier member advert…

nickc

My point Junky is that he knew what he did and knew the consequences of doing it and to suggest somehow that he ‘couldn’t help it’ removes some of his own responsibility from what happened to him. As he acknowledged.

Was he goaded? Yes he was. Was he misunderstood? Quite possibly. Did he make a useful contribution to the forum? Yes he did. Did he always have to have the last word on everything he argued about? Absolutely.

I miss his wise insight into many subjects, I don’t miss the endless dreary repetitive mind numbing ego stroking posting-wankathons that he indulged in sometimes just to win an argument against some people

Northwind

nickc – Member

I don’t miss the endless dreary repetitive mind numbing ego stroking posting-wankathons

Neither do I- strikes me that we have more of those now than ever before.

Junkyard
    Free Member

to suggest somehow that he ‘couldn’t help it’ removes some of his own responsibility from what happened to him

I know that is why I said it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Neither do I- strikes me that we have more of those now than ever before

at least more people get to post though…

Seems like tj and Al just needed their own room.

Anyway only joking

johnners
    Free Member

I’m sad that I never got to hear what TJ thought about helmets.

Cougar

strikes me that we have more of those now than ever before.

We do still have debates which arguably can go on for too long, but they’re rarely as nasty and poisonous as they used to me (and no-one’s forcing you to read them). I firmly believe that the forum is a better place for the removal of a few of the more toxic members of our little society.

Personally I don’t number TJ amongst those. For whatever failings he may have had, he could be a positive contributor and often brought something useful to the table. Unfortunately AIUI he did a rather comprehensive job of burning his bridges so it’s unlikely he’ll be back any time soon.

Cougar

Incidentally,

It’s been largely civil so far, but I’d remind everyone that it’s not particularly fair (or pleasant) to be slag off someone who is unable to reply. So, please continue to play nicely.

Ta.

nemesis
    Free Member

I can speak for myself.

TJ

(only joking)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

..he did a rather comprehensive job of burning his bridges so it’s unlikely he’ll be back any time soon.

That complete news to me. I have always assumed that he was expected to sneak back in, like Z-11 has, and that the only reason he hasn’t is that sneaking back in under a different username isn’t his style.

So what did he do that was so terrible that he ‘comprehensively burnt his own bridges’ ffs ?

I have to say I’m a little taken aback by that comment.

I know you’re going to say that moderation issues aren’t up for discussion but that doesn’t explain why you felt the need to claim that he “did a rather comprehensive job of burning his bridges” if moderation isn’t a topic of discussion.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wonder how the old chap is doing these days?

Doing his bit for the Yes campaign it seems, on FB – as usual, he knows for absolutely positively certain that Yes is the right vote and anyone who thinks otherwise is a poor misguided deluded fool 🙂

And that attitude was the problem on here – sometimes you have to just say ‘ok well I don’t agree but whatever’.

But yes, decent bloke otherwise, and knowledgeable except when it comes to MTB suspension tuning (and I only put that in cos I’m expecting him to read it 😉 )

Cougar

I know you’re going to say that moderation issues aren’t up for discussion but that doesn’t explain…

Too bad.

The only point I was making was that the “Bring Back TJ” campaign fires up periodically and the simple answer is “it’s not that simple.” I only mention it at all because it I get the impression that a number of people feel that TJ’s ban is excessive. I can’t go into details I’m afraid so you’re just going to have to trust me. Or, y’know, lump it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Maybe it’s for the best he’s found other outlets for his angst because despite all this ‘Edinburg defence’ ‘i was just teasing’ it’s obvious he took arguing on the internet very seriously and was one of those people who couldn’t live without the conflict, and thrives on it. for such a supposedly intelligent man i’m surprised he hasn’t realised that on the internet:

nobody cares.
    nobody ever changes their mind no matter how many times you tell them they are wrong.
    getting wound up is an exercise in futility.
    tandems aint cool.

Pigface
    Free Member

Woah there Smith, Tandems are very cool 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Or, y’know, lump it.

You’ve changed.

😥

Cougar

Nah, I was always a git.

wwaswas

You’ve changed.

He’s not got the Neil Gaiman costume on any more.

Cougar

Nah, it’s Amanda Palmer today.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The only point I was making was ….

No it wasn’t the only point you were making. You alleged that he had comprehensively burnt his bridges, which suggests that he behaved in an exceptionally unacceptable manner – most people are allowed back under new usernames without much fuss.

As you say it’s unfair to criticise someone when they are unable to defend themselves, when I challenge whether he really did behave as badly as you suggest your response is “Too bad” and “lump it”, maybe you can see some sort of contradiction there.

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah, I was always a git.

The greatest trick that Cougar ever pulled, was convincing the world he wasn’t a git…

D0NK

Nah, it’s Amanda Palmer today.

bet it’s ****ing not

Cougar

Ernie, I’m not playing this game. You can infer, suggest and allude all you like, or you can accept my clarification despite my initial wording. It’s up to you, and I don’t really care either way.

TJ made sure that he wouldn’t be invited back, and that’s the long and short of it I’m afraid. I’m not saying this to slag him off behind his back, on the whole I liked the guy and believe I’ve already made my personal views on him clear.

The greatest trick that Cougar ever pulled, was convincing the world he wasn’t a git…

(-: I don’t think I was ever that successful…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I firmly believe that the forum is a better place for the removal of a few of the more toxic members of our little society.

Personally I don’t number TJ amongst those.

Agreed on both counts we could not have do some vitriolic personal stuff before just for the lolz [ myself included there to be clear]

Ernie , if you had an e-mail address public, I am sure he would e-mail you and explain if I asked]

TJ knows what he did and it was something after the ban

He will not sneak back like others do
    I have no idea if this would be allowed.

For clarity I only know TJ’s side of the story but it seems to be fairly honest and it is the kind of thing you can imagine TJ doing ,it sort of sums him up

He wont be back IMHO

DezB
    Free Member

What the hell is it about TJ? why can’t you lot get over him?
    He’s even mentioned in the thread about toast ffs

Cougar

Toastem Jeremy?

atlaz
    Free Member

Meh. He brought some good stuff and some really bad stuff and some really tedious stuff to STW. I can’t say I’d be upset if he was allowed back or if he is never allowed back. There’s other people I’ve found far more offensive who have reappeared in several guises over the years.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This thread is one big joke.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Only joking.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Or am I…?

eightyeight
    Free Member

What the hell is it about TJ? why can’t you lot get over him? He’s even mentioned in the thread about toast ffs

Not clue bud, but people seem to be getting quite het up about it. A concise summary for the uninitiated?

nemesis
    Free Member

TJ goes into orbit? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘The "Edinburgh Defence"’ is closed to new replies.