Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • The Dirty Reiver – 200k Graaaaaavel ride, April16
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup I know it’s advertised over in 🙄 GritX 🙄

200k’s of Northumberland/Boarders Gravel ride?

April 16th 2016..

In 😀

DirtyReiver webbie

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’ve signed up – its twice as far as I’ve ever cycled before which is a bit of a worry.

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’m in. Anybody fancy riding out with me?

It should be a good shakedown for anybody doing Tour Divide or the Trans Am Trail race.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Something I’m certainly thinking about, not sure I want to commit yet though as I don’t know my plans for next year. I’ve ridden further than that on road before but doing it on forest tracks gravel roads will be a whole lot tougher.

Does look good.

GregMay
    Free Member

*cough* Thread here already *cough*

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m going up for a reccie over Xmas Hols for a bit of a blast, check out the fire roads and type of environment it’ll run through.

Looks great this..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ooop’s, didn’t know.. maybe better if the thread was titled?? Can that be changed? Save doubling up as theres some interest here already..

molgrips
    Free Member

Tempting.

ella
    Free Member

Entered. Distance is fine, doing it instead of a 300km Audax, more worried about the ~3500m of ascent.

Thinking of de-commutering the Straggler.

kcal

already got an email from a pal trying to tempt me. Still prevaricating.

NZCol

Entered, might as well do all my training in one day…

butcher

What bikes are people using?

STATO
    Free Member

Entered here too. Ill likely be using a CX bike with big tyres, either 38mm WTB Pathway (semi-slicks) or some Nano if i can find any at a good price.

Id happily take suspension, just locking out for some sections, but i dont tend to stand and sprint much so dont feel any ‘loss’ due to suspension movement. Id have used my short travel Spearfish 29er but have just split it up, thats a good bike for rough gravel roads.

butcher

Actually I’ve just seen the price… Might find something else to do that weekend 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m using my TCX Adv1 CXer, on my reccie I’m just going to use either Limus tyres or the Clem Xplors, not too sure yet.

If the fire roads are littered with large stones then the Xplors (40mm) if not then I’ll stick with grippy Limus.

Just put a mail out to Club mates to garner interest, might do this as a Team effort rather than on me own (like I normally do)

STATO
    Free Member

Yeah its not Audax cheap but you do get a fair bit of stuff for the price, and capped at 400 riders I dont think they will have the economy of scale sportives do to pay for the medical support and manning feed / food stations etc.

“Entry includes;

Event T shirt
    Event limited edition goods
    Sponsor products included in goody bag.
    Hot food at finish
    Way marked course and GPX route
    Feed stations
    Full medical team back up

thenorthwind

Due to the shared use of some of the course the Dirty Reiver is NOT a race. However, finishing times will be graded based upon the first finisher and these grades are detailed in finishing times on the event page.

Sounds suspiciously like a race to me.

tazzymtb

Yep, in and all excited. Now just got to work out wich singlespeed to take and start growing my beard to epic proportions so I can use it for holding energy gels and stuff

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll probably be SS as well. I have a nice growth already started.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I do it I’ll be using my cx whihc is currently in commuter mode, guards off, lights off, slicks off, racing ralphs on.

dazh

Sounds suspiciously like a race to me.

Lots of people starting at the same time, over a set course = a race 🙂

Of course the fact it’s a race only really matters if you’re trying to win it, for the vast majority of people it’s simply a personal challenge.

I’m currently undecided. I like the idea of something early in the year to motivate me to get off my arse over the winter, not sure I like the idea of 200km of fire roads.

NZCol

Will be a nice day our grovelling around, using my carbon chinese CX commuter sans guards and lights with better tyres, probably tubelessed.

dknwhy

I’d originally planned to do this but have decided against it now I have the full details.
    I was expecting a lower key event with less support and this is basically a sportive. Whilst the entry fee is reasonable for what’s on offer, it’s not what i’m looking for.
    370 miles of each way travel + entry + accommodation + food mounts up to £150ish and I could get a flight to the Alps for that.
    I’m planning on doing the Capital Trail instead as I can get a cheap return train train to Edinburgh instead…..

tang
    Free Member

I’ll be doing Bespoked that weekend, and coincidentally should have the perfect bike on display! New project that I’m very excited about…

jonba
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I’ll enter yet. Still dubious about Kielder in April. I was hoping to wait until nearer the time to see what kind of spring we are having but I doubt that will be an option.

Of course the fact it’s a race only really matters if you’re trying to win it, for the vast majority of people it’s simply a personal challenge.

I see on Facebook that Rich Rothwell is entering so most people are going to be racing for second anyway.

stewart4444
    Free Member

highterrainevents are also doing a CX ride in Feb which looks good.
    night ride round the water on Saturday night and big ride sunday morning.

captcaveman
    Free Member

I’m in and excited as it’s the first time in ages I’ve planned somethin big this far in advance Have enjoyed the 2 gravel sportives I’ve done so far but both under 4 hours, this will be another level
    Got 2 mates going so far and would love to get some more from S Wales involved

Think I’ll need a new bike though 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Brilliant, Ive got one mate interested and booked so far too. Rather do this as a sort of Team thing, for some reason I like the idea of that (normally I do this on my own)

8)

GregMay
    Free Member

Shall we arrange some sort of informal beer up after for STW forum aficionados?

tazzymtb

Shall we arrange some sort of informal beer up after for STW forum aficionados?

the Back of the Pack Racing fools will be there with a keg or two/three of very good beer, some music and reeeeallly strong coffee, so feel free to pop over for a pint and say hi

or if you look at it another way, all the gobshite single speeders and knobends will be in one place that you can easily avoid!** 😀

** depends on your preferences

bikebouy
    Free Member

GregMay – Member
    Shall we arrange some sort of informal beer up after for STW forum aficionados

Great idea, secret handshakes and the like before we’re allowed in??

Sounds great though suspect at least an hour after the event to wipe the grin off would be appreciated 😆
    I mean there’s being a fool and looking like a fool, if you get me drift 😀

boxelder

Still dubious about Kielder in April

Worried that you’ll miss the midges??

boxelder

Nearly sold out

dirtyrider
    Free Member

in

johnnystorm

In, and doing TD in 2016 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well lads a new event in Dalby has been mooted, looks like an enduro type segment timed hack and it’s just gone live with applications for entry being handled via a mail application ATM.

I’ve registered, if it looks like you kinda thing then I’d register interest pretty quickly.

Also, the link came from Grit.CX

Gravety Gravel Event

bikebouy
    Free Member

As per my thread above, I did a reccie for that event (I’m in, Yay!) over Xmas and found that the gravel roads I went along were longer shallower gradients than the steep stuff in the Dales, but the surface ranged from pretty rough to nice and smooth, but littered with sharp boulders. Also the surface ranged from small metaled type tight pack to loose shale type, and also lots of gullies and rivulets where the rain water comes off the tops.
    The foresty bits were wet and muddy and loose in the main, but covered in pine needles and branches and in the sections where forestry is taking place (a lot of it) theres large branches and off cuts on the gravel.
    The views are spectacular though 😀

I posted this on another thread asking about the same thing.. thought I’d already posted about the reccie I did, seems not. 🙄

GregMay
    Free Member

Quite looking forward to DR. Can’t make the other one as I’ll be on the Divide somewhere.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Greg, mad fool 😆

Will you do a blog of it?

boxelder

surface ranged from pretty rough to nice and smooth, but littered with sharp boulders. Also the surface ranged from small metaled type tight pack to loose shale type, and also lots of gullies and rivulets where the rain water comes off the tops.
    The foresty bits were wet and muddy and loose in the main, but covered in pine needles and branches and in the sections where forestry is taking place

DR200 is almost ‘one big loop’, so doesn’t cover lots of trail in the same area (if that makes sense), so doubt your recce covered much of the riding. It’s planned to give variety of surfaces, but is a long distance ‘grinder’, so stays clear of MTB route singletrack – there’s the Kielder 101/Border Challenge for that, and Gravety.
    FC are aware of the route/areas covered, so felling won’t be an issue – unlike the winter’s regular storms.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘The Dirty Reiver – 200k Graaaaaavel ride, April16’ is closed to new replies.