Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • The cost or family holidays in term time…
  • Kryton57

JEEESAS!

We wanted Sun, a pool, kids entertainment and all inclusive so there was no cooking for Mrs K and the kids can suit themselves.

£3G’s. Yes, £2995 for 10 days in Portugal ffs… …and thats one of the cheaper ones.

*holds head in hands*

Basically a rip off by the Holiday companies, as its about £900 cheaper outside the school hols – something should be done to regulate this.

MSP

Just go camping in Wales FFS!

something should be done to regulate this.

Like face up to your responsibility as a parent, and go on holidays that match the lifestyle you have chosen.

MoreCashThanDash

No sympathy here either. We are struggling to afford a week in Peebles in a cottage first week of summer holidays. First time in a couple of years we’ve not had to camp for our week in the summer.

Proper first world issue. Or a troll?

pondo

Like face up to your responsibility as a parent, and go on holidays that match the lifestyle you have chosen.

*Applauds*

clubber
    Free Member

Isn’t it more that they’re discounting during term to try and sell some rather than jacking up the cost during the holidays?

sbob
    Free Member

its about £900 cheaper outside the school hols

Go in February, it’s even cheaper.

🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Buy fewer new bikes?

RobHilton
    Free Member

While we’re having a dig at you…

no cooking for Mrs K

Blatant sexism!

She’s just lucky she gets a week off from the ironing

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This is not the forum to whinge about these things.

Kryton57

How rude!

Of course we’d choose a holiday based on affordability and lifestyle, but what we wanted was the scenario that I’d posted. From here on in, its now a case of making compromises to suit the budget, which is unfortunate but of course necessary.

Somehow I expected that desired holiday to be a lot cheaper than £3k, which has clearly annoyed me.

clubber – Member
    Isn’t it more that they’re discounting during term to try and sell some rather than jacking up the cost during the holidays?

I genuinely don’t know – is it?

MoreCashThanDash

Is DD wearing a brown cloak these days? 😆

imnotverygood

Why do people always seem to think that a free market is the only way to successfully run the economy until it has an adverse effect on them personally?

freeagent
    Free Member

Cut your cloth to suit your purse etc..

I’ve just booked a weeks camping in St Malo, last week in August, ferries/campsite fees/fuel will be around £750..

As my wife is a teacher, and we’re not exactly loaded it’ll be this or nothing!

jfletch
    Free Member

By going in holdiday during the school holidays you are not being taken advantage of. In fact people who go at off-peak times are actually subsidising your holiday.

For your holiday to exist there needs to be some infastructure, some transport and some staff. These cost a lot of money and cannot easily be switched on and off. So by offering this capacity at a lower cost off season they are able to recover some of the costs of having the resources available at the profitable time when demand peaks.

If they weren’t able to do this then even more of the overheads would need to be absorbed within the price of you peak week holiday. Thus you would be paying more.

Holiday companies are not charities or a public service, if they could sell low season holidays more do you not think they would?

Maybe we should go full comunist and set up some sort of public body to offer “free at the point of delivery” holidays. We could call it the National Holiday Service.

jamiea
    Free Member

OK, not Wales but last year we booked a campsite in Lyme Regis for a week out of the school holidays. We then had to change to a week in the school holidays due to a date clash and they wanted to charge £27 a night for two adults and a 1 year old! Told them to stuff it and camped at Sidmouth instead.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Mister-P
    Free Member

Could I just highlight your mistake in the thread title please?

You are not complaining about “the cost or (sic) family holidays in term time”, you are complaining about the cost of holidays out of term time.

FWIW, I was horrified at the difference between cost of a caravan in Devon this coming weekend (ie in school term time) and two weeks time (school Easter holiday). So I am going away this weekend 😀

jamiea
    Free Member

OK, not Wales but last year we booked a campsite in Lyme Regis for a week out of the school holidays. We then had to change to a week in the school holidays due to a date clash and they wanted to charge £27 a night for two adults and a 1 year old! Told them to stuff it and camped at Sidmouth instead.

EDIT- we’re paying the same for our half of a cottage with the parents-in-law in Keswick in June!

Cheers,
    Jamie

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My girlfriend is a teacher.

So despite no kids, nor 13 weeks holidays, i have the same issue.

@rse…

clubber
    Free Member

Plenty of holiday companies don’t seem to be doing very well.

momo

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    My girlfriend is a teacher.

So despite no kids, nor 13 weeks holidays, i have the same issue.

@rse…

I feel your pain, MrsMomo is a teacher too.

And anyway, didn’t we do this a couple of weeks ago? I’m sure I remember a multi page thread.

edit: Yes we did!

MoreCashThanDash

Kryton- if it helps, I now have ads for Haven holidays at the top of my screen…..

pondo

Its now a case of making compromises to suit the budget…

Welcome to life. 😀

Kryton57

No idea, I haven’t been watching STW for a bit, but I’m just eating my lunch…

Mrs K won’t do camping BTW, so other considerations are euro-situated Centre parcs type places…

And Mr P – yes I did thanks, August is the date in mind.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I used to do the pricing for a holiday company. Crudely, prices were raised as far as they could go when there was more demand and discounted when there was less demand. You’ve got the space there and serviced for the entire season and the only way to make any money is to keep it filled, so the peak visitors subsidise the rest and the holiday company, if they’re lucky, scrape by.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh, everyone loves a Kryton57 thread. 😆

jfletch
    Free Member

so other considerations are euro-situated Centre parcs type places…

You could ask for a pay rise? You’re not an optomotrist (sp?) are you?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s more of an optimist, starting a thread like this.

peterfile
    Free Member

Work harder and therefore earn more money so it’s less of an issue?

😉

jfletch
    Free Member

so the peak visitors subsidise the rest and the holiday company, if they’re lucky, scrape by.

That’s arse about tit. The off peak visitors make the peak holiday viable. Without the off peak visitors the peak holiday would either not exist or be much more expensive.

Kryton57

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Kryton- if it helps, I now have ads for Haven holidays at the top of my screen…..

£900 for a week in a super deluxe chalet near a beach in Lincolnshire. Hmmm, I’ll broach the idea tonight…

gobuchul
    Free Member

What we need is one of these. Perfect.

Why should people travelling out of school holiday time subsidise your **** holiday?

Suggest you work a bit harder in the free market to buy the trappings of the free market you desire!

Kryton57

peterfile – Member
    Work harder and therefore earn more money so it’s less of an issue?

I could actually stretch to the £3k holiday this year (yeah yeah, lucky me), although I’d rather use some of the cash for other house-related things (DIY, mortgage overpayments) and object to paying that much in principal – unless of course what I’m seeing is just the norm and my expectations are out of whack.

Just to put this into perspective, 2 years ago before KJ02 the three of us went to Barbados for two week in a shared (with the inlaws) villa, premium economy flights for… £2700. The main difference being the hotel, within school term as KJ01 hadnt started school yet, and no all inclusiveness.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

3k for a family all inclusive for 10 days is about par to be honest. I do sympathise in a way though. The traditional 2 weeks in the Sun that many of us as kids were lucky enough to have (myself included) do seem a bit out of reach nowadays, but times have changed and they arent going back. The presures on these hotels, flight companies are probably so great that they probably price at a loss for 9 months of a year just to get rooms and seats on flights. So its inevitable that they are going to claw that back during high demand times. Its hard to swallow as a parent like myself but its a reality. I am afraid I went through the process of stamping my feet and claiming its not fair, realised I used a lot of energy doing that it changed nothing, so we just worked round it according to what we could afford time and budget wise. Blummin well looking forward to my camping week this year. At the end of the day its time with the kids having a laugh and it beats work.

Gary_M
    Free Member

something should be done to regulate this.

You mean change the way the supply/demand model works to suit people who want to go on a holiday but can’t afford it.

Here’s any idea, you could try to do some cooking.

Maybe don’t spend £10k on a new vauxhall, or cashing the pension in to do some decorating or a new on-one, or £3k on a saab. And all this frittering of money is a quick scan in your last 3 weeks of posts

Maybe you need to get your priorities right and cut your cloth to fit.

Kryton57

Maybe don’t spend £10k on a new vauxhall (didnt), or cashing the pension in to do some decorating (couldnt)or a new on-one (haven’t).

These are all just ideas I’ve posted about. Thanks for stalking me I didn’t realise that I was so interesting, but whats your point?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hardly stalking, click the link and it brings up a list of your posts, took about 15 seconds. You’re not interesting enough to stalk.

My point is if you want a holiday in the sun don’t expect things to change to suit you, if you can’t afford it either cut back so you can or don’t go.

You’re not entitled to a holiday in the sun you know.

I’d like a new Maserati and a house in Sandbanks, but they’re too expensive – who should I complain to?

stumpy01

Would it be cheaper to just go in term time and pay the cost of any ‘irresponsible parent fine’ that might get doled out?!

When you say kids….does that mean there’s 2 mini Krytons?
    If so, then is £3k really that expensive?

4 seats on a plane, flying return to Portugal
    Hotel transfers for 4
    Accommodation for 4 for 10 nights.
    All your meals and drinks included, included stuff like ice creams for the kids?
    Child care (entertainment) for the kids
    Pool
    Evening entertainment/show?

£750 per person for 10 days doesn’t seem too bad.

Me and the Wife have booked a holiday in Fuerteventura at the end of April (all inclusive) and that’s costing us just under £1100 for 7 nights. That was one of the cheaper ones we found, as we are currently trying to focus most of our money into getting the house redecorated (joy of joys!). We could have gone to Egypt or Tunisia for less, but didn’t fancy either of those options.

Kryton57

My point is if you want a holiday in the sun don’t expect things to change to suit you, if you can’t afford it either cut back so you can or don’t go.

You’re not entitled to a holiday in the sun you know.

All this is a fair point, I’m merely exclaiming my suprise / frustration at the price of what we desired to do.

You’re not interesting enough to stalk.

I suspected as much, and am quite grateful for the confirmation.

Kryton57

When you say kids….does that mean there’s 2 mini Krytons?

Yep.

4 seats on a plane, flying return to Portugal
    Hotel transfers for 4
    Accommodation for 4 for 10 nights.
    All your meals and drinks included, included stuff like ice creams for the kids?
    Child care (entertainment) for the kids
    Pool
    Evening entertainment/show?

All of the above, twin room though.

Tunisia (next to Libya), Morocco (terrorist warnings currently ongoing) and Turkey (too close to the Ukraine) were slightly, although only about £300 slightly cheaper.

stumpy01

Tunisia is fine if you only want a ‘laze around the pool’ holiday. We went a few years ago and it was fine around the hotel (and they were massive grounds, so you could have a nice stroll etc.).
    But, as soon as you ventured out it was pretty grim. The hotel was in the middle of nowhere and it didn’t feel particularly safe walking around the local area.

Morocco – never been

Turkey – love the place. Been to Icmeler, Calis Beach and Side; 4 holidays in total, I think. I wouldn’t worry about it’s proximity to the Ukrain just yet.

£300 is a 10% saving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘The cost or family holidays in term time…’ is closed to new replies.