Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • The cost or family holidays in term time…
  • pondo

What about half term weeks?

stumpy01

pondo – Member

Well, here’s a thought – if you don’t rate academia, why don’t you just take your kids out and home-school them? Take your holidays when you want, and it means you’re not burdening the education system with your kids, so kids who DO want to work, and/or have parental support, are more likely to get better results. And as teachers are heading towards performance-related pay, you’re not going to inflict another lackustre f***-you predicted-grade-fail child on their pay packet. Happy days all round!

Erm, excellent idea. But, as I said….I don’t have kids.

More parents teaching their kids at home would be great for me though! I’d get to work loads quicker without them all clogging up the roads!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

But then people would just buy flights in areas where there were no school holidays – lower demand so cheaper price, cheaper price increases demand, price goes up to meet the equilibrium point on the supply/demand curve, so no winners there..

aracer
    Free Member

What do you mean by a region? I think the majority of teachers at my kids’ school live in a different LA area, quite a few in a different county – I expect if the nearby county border was a “regional” border then they’d be in a different region.

Any “softening” of the downsides to such a measure also reduces the supposed benefits of it – it’s possible it might actually make things worse with all schools off for a 4 week block. Not only that, but is this only a summer holiday thing, aren’t you going to do something to address the unfairness of the cost of half-term ski holidays for those low income families who can’t afford those?

GrahamS

What about half term weeks?

Not every holiday could be staggered (Christmas? Easter?) but the main summer ones could.

The half terms are already staggered I think?

konabunny
    Free Member

Don’t have kids, so haven’t experienced ‘consequences’ of kids missing a week and a half of school time but what other consequences could there be?

The OP’s kids could turn out to have just as poor reasoning skills and geographic awareness as their father. 😀

GrahamS

aren’t you going to do something to address the unfairness of the cost of half-term ski holidays for those low income families who can’t afford those?

Fair point.

Also apparently some low income families can’t afford their own yacht. Something must be done. 😀

Kryton57

Konabunny, I might be an idiot, but please don’t resort to insulting my children, not even for comedy effect.

Thanks.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Kryton57 I’m fairly sure he was insulting you and not your kids 🙂

stumpy01

Kryton…I don’t think there was any insult there. And pretty sure there was no insult meant, even if some was taken.

iolo
    Free Member

OP, you could always stay home and pay more of your mortgage off. Go on day trips. That would be fun.

pondo

Erm, excellent idea. But, as I said….I don’t have kids.

Then our joint interest in this topic is hypothetical. 🙂

Kryton57

iolo – Member
    OP, you could always stay home and pay more of your mortgage off

…which is another thread entirely and a conversation myself and Mrs K have just had, e.g. “Do we continue to strive to pay extra off the mortgage or say sod it and have a little bit of fun from time to time with the cash”.

FWIW I’m going with a 50/50 approach, as my east-end Nan used to say, “save half, spend half…”

xiphon
    Free Member

A week’s car/ferry/camping in France was the only annual holiday I got growing up.

EuroCamp FTW!

No half-term / Christmas / Easter ‘holiday’ (always spent at home)

The knock-on effect now is I’d rather use my annual leave up on “long weekends” doing mini-trips in the UK, than week-long holidays abroad.

mrs xiphon is quite the opposite mind…

MoreCashThanDash

And all this is when the kids are small – wait till they hit Year 6/secondary, when school trips start at £300 plus spending money for a week, plus Cub/Scout camps……

That said, I had two “going away” holidays with my parents – week in Devon in 1976 and 2 weeks in Kenya (Dad celebrating leaving the RAF after 22 years showing me where I was born before it went chest skywards) in 1980.

Other than that, my folks went off every couple of years leaving me with the grandparents, and I went on lots of Scout camps and geography field trips/exchange visits. Did me no harm other than a strange curiosity as to why anyone would want to spend two weeks by a pool/beach

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The OP’s kids could turn out to have just as poor reasoning skills and geographic awareness as their father.

Of which, school teachers you non (unless you are lucky enough to go to a good one).

gogg
    Free Member

Isn’t it more that they’re discounting during term to try and sell some rather than jacking up the cost during the holidays?

It’s economics 101 or making hay while the sun shines…

natrix
    Free Member

Well if they did stagger the holidays then it could be on a regional basis. I would imagine that the majority have kids in school in the same region.

This is what they do in France and it seems to work OK

molgrips
    Free Member

I went past the Jaguar dealership the other day – £60k! Outrageous! Something should be done!

MoreCashThanDash

I would imagine that the majority have kids in school in the same region.

More problematic for those of us who live on county boundaries, or who teach in one county but live in another.

But again, that is ultimately down to parental choice

Rockape63
    Free Member

anyway….one of the reasons that August holidays are currently v expensive is due to the fact that you’ve left it so late. I just checked my holiday cost jetting out on the 8th August and its gone up over a grand for the four of us!

And I booked later than i should have.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Yeah OP. Don’t try to do nice things with your kids.

Make them have crap holidays like we had; never did us any harm.

fasthaggis

Option 1. Suck it up
    Option 2. Don’t go abroad
    Option 3. Get a better paid job that will support your lavish lifestyle.
    Option 4. Hire yourself out at weekends to raise some extra cash
    Option 5. Move to Scotland so you can holiday at a different time.
    There you are,lots of choice.

damo2576
    Free Member

Get a bigger credit card and go somewhere nicer?

oldbloke
    Free Member

gogg – Member

Isn’t it more that they’re discounting during term to try and sell some rather than jacking up the cost during the holidays?

It’s economics 101 or making hay while the sun shines…
    Both. Not many peak weeks available, so jack up the price until you find the highest price where weeks available = number of people willing to pay the price. Fill up the rest with targeted offers. All discounts are there for marketing purposes, not because there’s a fixed price that something ought to be.

aracer
    Free Member

Schools do teach you spelling and grammar though.

totalshell

3 grand seems good value when you think that the plane you fly in might be a £377m boeing 777..

loum
    Free Member

Cheaper to suit yourself and pay the fine.

Kryton57

molgrips – Member
    I went past the Jaguar dealership the other day – £60k! Outrageous! Something should be done!

😀 A holiday in Benidorm is not the “Jaguar” of holidays though is it.

fasthaggis – Member
    Option 1. Suck it up
    Option 2. Don’t go abroad
    Option 3. Get a better paid job that will support your lavish lifestyle.
    Option 4. Hire yourself out at weekends to raise some extra cash
    Option 5. Move to Scotland so you can holiday at a different time.
    There you are,lots of choice.

Option 1 & 2 – a brief convo with Mrs K and this is the result; we are investigating Haven holidays but would prefer some non UK sun. I have notice last minute deals are going at half price-ish, so maybe we’ll book the time off work, hope for the best last minute booking we can get and if nothing comes up do something else with the kids. Option 3? Well I won’t comment in details suffice to say I can’t work out where it all goes…

dangerousbeans – Member

I did think of responding in the same vain…

Kryton57

Rockape63 – Member
    anyway….one of the reasons that August holidays are currently v expensive is due to the fact that you’ve left it so late. I just checked my holiday cost jetting out on the 8th August and its gone up over a grand for the four of us!

And I booked later than i should have.

I’ve not booked this type of Holiday before – whens the best time to do so with 2015 in mind?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

often wonder how he’d cope with life without STW to guide him….

To be fair, there are others on here that I wonder how they breathe without somone telling them how too.

Every post is a question.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a pain in the arse. Someone was only asking earlier what not to miss in Skye – like there isn’t a wealth of information out there already instead of wasting folks’ time on an internet forum.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve not booked this type of Holiday before – whens the best time to do so with 2015 in mind?

The best hotels get booked up as early as September for the following August, so you have to do your homework early and go for it.

GrahamS

I didn’t say they were crap holidays. In fact they were great.

Kids don’t care about going to Portugal or wherever – they care about spending quality time with the family, having fun, making friends and going on adventures.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

If molgrips is ripping the piss out of you, you’ve got to realise you might be on shaky ground here mate.

pondo

I have notice last minute deals are going at half price-ish, so maybe we’ll book the time off work, hope for the best last minute booking we can get and if nothing comes up do something else…

D’you know, I really like the idea of this, just see what turns up (it’s part of the adventure!), but Mrs Pondo is of a more organised bent and likes to plan ahead.

toemul
    Free Member

Find cheap flights first around december timeish malaga majorca or barcelona once that sorted find cheap hotels on teletext hols or low cost holidays loads all inc, a bit of checking of said hotels on trip advisor with plenty of reading between the lines. try for dates where you can take the kids out of school a day or 2 early ring em in sick this helps. book transfers and parking abit nearer the time. we’re off santa ponsa on the 3rd april all inc 6 nights £540 £30 transfers and £30 parking at liverpool.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We left last years trip to Cornwall/Costwolds till the lat minute. Well the cornish week was booked but we wanted a week before somewhere, third week in August. It was a fookin nightmare, that ill never do again! We lucked in with the cottage we got but it was one of very few left!

iolo
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

A holiday in Benidorm is not the “Jaguar” of holidays though is it.

Has Benidorm moved country?
    Has it departed Alicante and gone to the Algarve?
    Maybe you’ve been charged 3k is because they need to cover the rebuilding cost.

natrix
    Free Member

we are investigating Haven holidays

We went on a Haven holiday a few years ago in Hastings, my wife has threatened to insert my entire bike collection where the sun don’t shine if I take her on one again 😯 😯

Last year we rented a cottage from Cottages Direct and had a UK beach holiday, it was great fun and excellent vfm, only problem is that you can’t guarantee the sunshine.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘The cost or family holidays in term time…’ is closed to new replies.