Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Corrieyairack Challenge 2009
  • Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing this in July. http://www.corrieyairack.org/Pages/Timetable.html
    Anybody done it before, any advise, recommendations?

armyrider
    Free Member

Not dne the event but ridden the pass three times. The decent is badly eroded after storms a couple of years ago washed away the route that had been in use for hundred of years. Its a VERY long, steady climb and a rocky way down but good to do as a challenge. I would prefer the alternative finish of going directly to Laggan Wolftrax and thrashing around the red route if your legs are up for it. Good cafe too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

not ridden the pass since the storm, how rideable is it up from Laggan?

swavis

Did it last year. Really enjoyed it even though it caused me to have my first ever proper bonk 😯
    The descent down the zig zags was superb, managed it without a dab, although we had to take to the heather in places as it was so washed out.
    Soul destroying when a runner/roadie passed on the road me before I got back to Kincraig though, we had at least an hours head start if not more. But it was only the one 😉

epicyclo

In July about 30 odd years ago I spent a very cold night marooned in a blizzard on the Corrieyairack.

Last rode it 4 years ago and got sunburn. It was from the wrong side so ended up pushing up the zig zags. (BTW there seemed less of them than previously)

It’s got to be treated with respect, but doing it during an event should be a breeze.

matt_outandabout

Its an ace ride 🙂

NZCol

Hmm looks interesting and I will be in the area at that time. Can you do the whole thing on one bike – i’ll only have my race bike with me and no spare wheels or owt as I’ll be over from NZ…so I presume I’d ride the whole lot on my bike then ?

ml
    Free Member

This looks great, but needing a team of three is a bit of a pain. Anyone fancy a STW team, entering the duathlon category?

farm-boy

I did the race in 2004 and went back and rode the pass a year later as part of coast to coast route.

You have to the whole ride on the same bike. You are allowed to swap wheels or put slicks on for the 46 mile road section and this is highly recommended. At the very least pump your tyres up a bit at Garva.

During the race we had hale and driving rain at the top and the switchback descent was a river. I was running V brakes back-in-the-day and had no pads left by about half way down and not much more stopping power before then.

It is a 10 mile climb, a 6 mile rough decent and then a 46 mile road ride, on a mountain bike. It is good fun as you ride in a team and a good achievement. Ride Laggan and Rothiemarcus the next day though.

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

According to the website its 14 miles of off road until Garva Bridge and then 26miles on road from there. Reckon I’ll be changing to slicks at Garva. Nice pics Matt, anyone got the route profile or memory map in a .jpg?

farm-boy

Er yes. 46(ish) miles in total. It was a long time ago (in a country far far away).

swavis

If nobody beats me to it I’ll post up a profile and a map of the route after 5.
    I definitely recomend slicks at Garva.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Looks nice. We’re doing it on day three of Coast to Coast 22/5 – it’s our first easy day 😉

Kingussie to Fort Augustus – we’ve no choice in the matter, but is that the best way?

swavis

Here’s the route

And the profile

matt_outandabout

SteveTheBarbarian – Member
    Kingussie to Fort Augustus – we’ve no choice in the matter, but is that the best way?

Nope – Ft Augustus to Kingussie is better IMO!

donald
    Free Member

I’ve done the event 3 or 4 times, first time on a rigid. Good fun, but better with sus forks! Take care on the descent, the worst bit was just before the taramc when I did it. Changing to slicks at Garva Bridge worked for me.

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

Cheers Swavis for route and profile, the climb to the top of the pass looks pretty intense… better start training…

ampthill

Oh dear looks like I road it the wrong Way! I had bivvy kit as well. We were ridding from Aviemore to Fort William!

Great route I just which they’d invented suspension forks for the descent!

swavis

Yeah the climb goes on for a bit. The guy I did it with was a bit of a state when he finally got to the top. He was slightly emotional ha ha.
    Check out his ramblings here

Gav

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ugh, that pass was one of the most miserable experiences on a bike i’ve had. we’d come from fort william, and were going to the bothy at the bottom of the descent. the climb up was longer than we thought, and the midges could just keep up at some points, so I was being bitten loads. then near the top it started raining, which made me more miserable… the descent was pretty good though – panniers on the bike made it rather interesting 🙂

next day we went to corour (sp?) YHA, but with a lap of laggan black on the way. and then to fort william, on the WHW over kinlochleven.

fantastic 3 days 🙂

kcal

I’ve done the Challenge on several occasions, over the last 10 years (though last time was about 5 years ago now). It’s a brutal climb, never quite made it to the top, even when I was fit, it’s a tough bone and teeth shaking descent – especially the baby heads by Melgarve, and then a long road stretch.

I’ve pushed too hard and suffered severely, but it’s always been a great event, challenge if you like, great spirit of taking part and helping out, and I’ve made and met up with so many friends at that event. The reception at the end is superb.

Slicks changeover would be recommended – just swap whole wheels really. That or compromise tyres which work in the dry, but would be lethal in the wet.

Gavin, not like you to bonk 🙂

jim
    Free Member

I’m doing it for the first time this year – look out for a tired looking chap on an orange Dialled PA, I don’t suppose there’ll be many 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Advice If you are doing the run/bike one take an old cardboard bike box from your LBS and lots of bubble wrap

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Corrieyairack Challenge 2009’ is closed to new replies.