Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The caliper shouldn't be doing that, should it?……
  • ononeorange

I’e finally got round to replacing Mrs O’s rear caliper for a Hope M4. I had to undo the hose to fit it and splashed fluid everywhere, but cleaned it up, bled it and fitted new pads.

When I pumper the lever to move the pads onto the rotor though, I could hear a “liquid” sound. A close look showed a tiny bit of fluid seeping out from around the pistons. That’s what I could hear. It shouldn’t be doing that now, should it…..bugger.

I sense that this is going to move into a world of repair fobidden to me…..any ideas for an easy fix?! The front (same source) seems fine.

(Level also feels very soggy too).

mattjg
    Free Member

new seals probably

It’s not as hard as it initially seems, I did it and am totally inept at anything requiring dexterity.

Hope Mono Caliper Overhaul (Mini/Trials/M4/V2/M6)

mattjg
    Free Member

ps no it shouldn’t

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    faz083
    Free Member

or send them back to hope for £94 or whatever it is.

ononeorange

Thanks Matt. I do take non-dexterity (is there such a word?) to the absolute heights, and I can see me dropping the seals on an untidy floor and losing them forever…..

Hmmmm. And bugger. Didn’t think it looked clever. Maybe Hope it is.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds like new seals are needed but if you are a klutz return to Hope for service is well worth doing – hardly anything more than the parts needed in cost and you get back a effectively new brake

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the brake working? It could just be some of the water you washed it down with either in the seal bore or piston bored. Dry the area and apply the brake. Tie the lever off and leave it over night. In the morning, see if the lever has gone further back or if there has been an escape of fluid.

ononeorange

Good point Onza, the brake was working but felt very soft and the lever was coming right back – I will give your idea a go though. Cheers

mattjg
    Free Member

@OP – DIY. In the time it takes to package it and trot down to the postt office, you’ve done the job. I changed the pistons and seals on my Mono Minis it was a doddle. When I did my M4s I changed the pistons because one was scored, I didn’t need to change the seals at all.

The only specific tool you need is the piston cover remval tools, a few quid from CRC then you got it forever. If you are near Dorking you can come and borrow mine.

Before you start, read through the page I linked, visualise each step, break it down. That page has a lot of detail, the job is easier than it looks once you get it straight in your head. You will need a well lit place to work with some clean space for the bits.

It’s only a casting, some pistons and some rubber seals, it’s not rocket science, it’s not a dark art. It’s a good thing to know how your bike parts work, you’ll have confidence to do more in the future, and you’ll diagnose problems qucker and more accurately.

Servicing my M4s (which I did because neither of my proper-mtb LBSs fixed them properly when they were grabbing and I got fed up with taking the bike back and forth to them) set me down the path of building my own bike. It’s a whole new world!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The caliper shouldn't be doing that, should it?……’ is closed to new replies.