Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • The best LED rear light is……?
  • Houns

Need a couple of LED rear lights for the commute, nice and bright, what can you recommend?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The smart one at £9 odd on ebay is good although the bracket does not look like it will last.

grumm
    Free Member

Blackburn Mars or SMART 1/2 watt

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Smart 1/2 watter.

Mars is OK.

Cateye 'holy handgrenade' is shite.

:FACT:

BFITH
    Free Member

x3 for smart 1/2 watt….

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

You need two.

The Cateye Holy Handgrenade, eyecatching, fantastic all round visibility:

AND the Smart 1/2 seriously bright but focussed:

cp

Smart half watt – i have two

grahamb
    Free Member

Lumicycle one if you already have one of their batteries

brianbrian
    Free Member

This thing is a monster and very bright though quite pricey Catseye TL-LD1100

crispybacon
    Free Member

SMART 1/2 watt – Thread closed

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The LD1100 isn't anywhere near as bright as more modern designs like the smart. On flash mode becuase the rows are not syncronised, it dosn't appear to flash at all if you are further than 50 yards away (like most approaching traffic). Its battery life is woeful. Becuase it uses the same clamp design as the lighter units, it snaps mounts all the damn time.

I used an LD1000 and an LD1100 for quite a few years commuting. The only good thing about them is they're fairly robust, both of my self ejecting units managed to just about survive being driven over by a Ford Sierra or kicked around a NSL dual carriageway.

I don't use them anymore, I use a smart and a mars.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

+1 for AnalogueAndy's response

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I run a Hand Grenade on the bike and then a wonderful little Vista VL Eclipse on my helmet.

I think the Eclipse is discontinued now, sadly. Essentially, one big light and one smaller flashing light, combined with good reflectives, like some ankle bands, is the way ahead.

J0N
    Free Member

On the frame only one option:
    Knog BullFrog on the seat post for lit commute. Very bright and no crappy had bracket to brake.
    Smart 1/2W is very good as is the cateye TD-L610 if you are mounting off the frame or on clothes due to the clip they come with.
    Exposure Red-eye for unlit roads.
    Lots of reflective panels are very effective.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Pedal reflectors (or orange reflective tape wrapped round std MTB SPDs), wheel reflectors and scotch brite by the mile on your lid/bag/jacket also help hugely.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am impressed you still have the Vista CFH. They were discontinued about 5 years ago. I used to use them and was sad to see them go.

Houns

Thanks all

Just to add i already have a Exposure red eye on my helmet. A hump back pack cover and a couple of them flashy led arm bands, oh and me helmet is already covered in black 3m reflective tape.
    I'll be riding a bit on fast A roads so i want to be as bright as the Vegas strip

crazy-legs

Those Smart 1/2 watt lights are bonkers bright. I see a guy most mornings who has 2 of them, can see him a mile off. They're almost too bright at close range.

zangolin
    Free Member

Smart 1/2 watt again. Have three on my road bike.

zangolin
    Free Member

Smart 1/2 watt again. Have three on my road bike. You need it on the pitch black lanes of rural Herefordshire.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned the Smart 1/2 watt yet?

Houns

Anyone know the difference between the Smart polaris and the Smart Lunar?!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mister P, when something is worth looking after, I do! It's a great little light.

jeb

This one is the best rearlight i have owned, attach to your bag, no flimsy mounts, lights up real good. can be put loads of places.
    Check their others things two.

http://www.niteize.com/collections/led/products/led-clip-on-marker

TheFopster
    Free Member

Loved my Blackburn Mars, right up to the point last week when I lost it. B*gger. Might have to buy one of these Smart 1/2 watt thingies. They any good?
    😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

I find these pretty effective.

Houns

Bugger, just seen this to mix things up a little

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/store/product/19691/Niterider-Cherry-Bomb/

domino

Bought a Niterider Cherry Bomb for mrdomino it is very bright.

redx

Balckburn Mars 4 and a Fibreflare…….

zangolin
    Free Member

Is the new Niterider Cherry Bomb the new Smart 1/2w?

Cherry has a 1/2w led plus 2 smaller leds – maybe better side view?

Debate + test on here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=215648

druidh
    Free Member

I did some "testing" in the shop at the start of the winter. The Smart 1/2 Watt and the Cherry Bomb are about the same overall brightness, but the CB has a really wide beam "spread" so I opted for that.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 on the Smart 1/2 Watt, amazing light.

ojom
    Free Member

The CB also has the bonus that it has a reflector.

CB 1
    Smart 0.

richcc
    Free Member

Get one of the regular ones and if you can run to it get a Fibre Flare.

Very impressive it its own right, gets a bonus driver noticing WTF factor and gives 360 degree visability.

I feel happier on my commute for having got one.

ojom
    Free Member

The fibre flare lets water in from experience.

ziggy
    Free Member

Fibre Flares on my bikes too, never had problem with water although I did put some tape around the ends.

Also great for a quick game of star wars 🙂

Houns

Well i went for the Cherry Bomb, i'm a leader not a follower 8)

I'll report back tomorrow after the postie delivers it in the morning 😉

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ive tried most of the popular ones on this thread and the 1 smart i had failed the quickest. The longest lasting have been the cateyes although i have had 2 bounce out of the brackets. The mars 3 is nice and bright but the last one of the 3 i have had stopped working.
    Go with any and keep it warm and dry when possible and change batteries weekly and i dont think you will go far wrong.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

what about the RSP astrum, that has two 1/2 watt leds

http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/10/rsp-astrum-2-x-12watt-user-review.html

never had a problem with the LD1000 myself, been using it for 4-5 years now.

aracer
    Free Member

Does nobody here ride in the rain? The Smart's certainly have awesome light output, but they're notorious for being poorly sealed (I have one which works fine, but then I don't night ride in the rain 😉 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘The best LED rear light is……?’ is closed to new replies.