Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • The best all things considered way of carrying a carbon road bike with a car….
  • Kryton57

….is?

Before I buy a fork mount Thule, cause I can’t use a down tube clamp Thule etc….

carlos
    Free Member

Put it inside

mrmo
    Free Member

in the boot.

higgo
    Free Member

in the boot.
    wheels in bags.
    blanket round frame and forks.
    small children packed into any spaces.

druidh
    Free Member

Car? You need a van!!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ride it to where you want to go? I thought thats why perverts had road bikes?

Kryton57

I was hoping you wouldn’t say “inside” which is where it goes now – on a blanket perilously close to my leather interior. Won’t fit in the boot – BMW saloon with fixed rear seats – so it goes on the back seat. I just don’t like the re / dis assembly faff. Cest la vie….

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If you don’t want it inside then next best is a tow bar mounted rack.

Kryton57

boriselbrus – Member
    If you don’t want it inside then next best is a tow bar mounted rack.

Currently no tow bar I so it’s an expensive option.

TiRed

Bike bag on the back seat.

warton
    Free Member

cause I can’t use a down tube clamp Thule etc….

Why not? No problem using them on carbon bikes

fontmoss
    Free Member

second car

andrewh
    Free Member

It obviously fits inside, on the back seat, so leave it as is. Far too much can wrong with racks, parking prangs, rear-end shunts, road debris flying up, greater risk of theft/vandalism, even just blasting it with 80mph rain can damage some seals.
    If you are that precous about getting the car grubby (maybe it’s someone else’s car?) then a blanket will do, or a bike bag if you must.
    I would never trust any of my bikes, with the possible exception of the winter hack bike, to a rack.

andrewh
    Free Member

second car

Van
    FTFY

singlecrack
    Free Member

Warton +1

somafunk

Do you have kids?, if not then remove the back seats – sorted! (in a kinda impractical way i admit). I had this dilemma with my bike but i did not want to advertise the fact i have a rather expensive TI bike on a roof mount or rear mount rack so i removed my rear seats (passengers? -****’em….. they can walk!, and my bike now drops in the boot onto a waterproof dog cover, i do drive a hatchback though so i guess it may not be an option for yourself.

Kryton57

I never thought of packing it in a bike bag, great idea! Wiggle have this for £35 which could be good enough for the task http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-light-weight-bike-bag/

Can anyone comment on it for its intended purpose? Seems ok? Or the have a highly rated dhb one for £62.

Kryton57

Er ok bad reviews for the Cinelli bag.

But Crc have there own with 2 wheel bags for £60….

muddodger
    Free Member

There’s always this Bike bag. I got one for a trip to Scotland, did its job, but not pretty. Slightly more expensive now.

aracer
    Free Member

Won’t fit in the boot – BMW saloon with fixed rear seats

I didn’t realise BMW made saloons with boots that small – I’ve got a road bike in the boot of hire cars such as Astras underneath the parcel shelf. Surely even a 3 series has a boot larger than that on an Astra?

Oh and you’re not after a bag to protect your bike from baggage handlers, just one to protect the inside of your car (also handy for taking bikes into hotel rooms IME) – so I wouldn’t worry too much about the reviews, a cheap one will do the job just fine.

Kryton57

To be fair aracer it would go in with wheels off but I’d rather it wasn’t rattling around with shoes, helmet other kit…..

freeagent
    Free Member

I put my mountain bike or road bike inside my BMW 1-Series – much safer than any rack.
    The bike bag is a good idea – check out Decathlon – my brother recently bought one from them, which looks pretty nice.

Kryton57

Cheers freeagent. Decathlons was £50 with no wheel bags but check this out: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20604

Bought already, adding flexibility to my MTB trips also. Cheers all.

aracer
    Free Member

To be fair aracer it would go in with wheels off but I’d rather it wasn’t rattling around with shoes, helmet other kit…..

I’m confused – you’re surely not fitting it in the rear seats with wheels on (I don’t think I’d even manage that in my Mondeo which is humungous in the back seats), and you do know you need to take wheels off to fit it in a bike bag? So actually fitting in the boot isn’t the issue you originally claimed! Personally I’ve always reckoned the boot is the place for bikes, not rear seats – not that huge an issue getting other kit in without damaging anything – but each to their own I guess, it is your car.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Kryton, let us know if wheel bags look like they’d fit 29er wheels

iainc

I have a 3 series tourer with 3 Thule 591 racks on roof…. and 3 kids, and a carbon road bike…..which goes inside..

Nobby

Got a mate who uses old duvet covers he picks up at boot fairs to put his Madone in the car with a single wheel bag off eBay for the front one.

Waderider
    Free Member

Ignore Warton et al.

I work in a premium road bike shop and see quite a few wrecked carbon frames from carrier clamps.

AlasdairMc

Depending on the car, if the parcel shelf comes off then the bike can go in the boot upside down if it’s not deep enough to take the bike flat. I use an Ikea bag over the drivetrain to protect the interior roof and then the wheels go in wherever there is space, and any luggage fits around that.

For me it’s a necessity as the dog monopolises the back seat

hora
    Free Member

You only put it into your car twice a week. A decent bike bag.

I use a ground effect bodybag and wheel bags for my mtb.

JCL
    Free Member

Buy a Touring or ride it instead of driving it about?

aP
    Free Member

I put 2 carbon cross bikes in the boot of a Focus. Helmets and shoes go in there too. I think you’re obsessing too much, after all taking both wheels out takes about 35 seconds….

dknwhy

I’ve got a saris bones RS bike rack and strap my carbon bike to that all the time with no problems. Only mod I made was taping a golf towel to the left upright in case the chain stay rubbed. The bike hangs and is supported with 3 straps so isn’t clamped.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Buy a more user friendly bike that wont break?

shifter
    Free Member

Kryton? Obsessing??
    I think the bag you’ve ordered is too big and it’ll end up occupying your garage.

PrinceJohn

If you’re moving it by car a lot isn’t putting it in a bike bag loads of hassle?

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t know what you think a bike bag will offer that a blanket doesn’t, other than being far more faff. I use an old sleeping bag, although the MTB tends to be in a bike bag so I can keep it in the house.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve no intentions of buying a carbon road bike, but I have a Thule rack on the old Polo and can understand how clamping the tube could damage it.

Just wondered how the pros attach the bikes to the team cars in races ? Guessing its a stupidly big rack that fastens the frame or something ?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’d love to know the science behind not clamping a carbon bike, aluminium hell no it will kink it.

br
    Free Member

Back seat, (decent) leather cleans easily 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘The best all things considered way of carrying a carbon road bike with a car….’ is closed to new replies.