Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • best wheel set for £550
  • boxfish
    Free Member

For around that money I recently built up some DT 240s hubs with Revolution spokes and tubeless compatible, non-exploding (so far…) Chinese carbon rims. They weighed in at 1530g minus yellow tape and valves. They’ve been great so far but I’ve not been overly shredding the gnar…

peasant
    Free Member

Bike24 has crossmax st for 490 euro ,some other euro sites cheap too

proberts
    Free Member

I did a good one with my 2012 ST’s….I found a discounted 2011 set online, went into my local Evans and they price matched them with 2012 ones…was a nice saving on the RRP. Is it my fault the staff don’t know what they’re selling?

I wouldn’t have done it with a independent LBS before I get slated!!

dgb1
    Free Member

Bike-components.de have DT EX1750s for 550 Euro.

gixerator
    Free Member

Bike-components.de have DT EX1750s for 550 Euro.

Thanks but these are center lock only and also 2012, not sure what the difference is I will look at the specs.

Proberts, I like the 240’sand had them on the last bike that some scrot robbed, my concern is what to do if the rims shattered after a short time

ashfanman
    Free Member

For that budget I’d get DT240s on your choice of Stan’s rim

That’s what I’d do.

Well, I’d get a set of ProII Evo Hoops and save myself £250, but if you want to spend £550 then I’d definitely be going DT240s on Flows.

dgb1
    Free Member

EX1750s are only available in 6-hole only.

gixerator
    Free Member

Crossmax ST or 240’s on ZTR crest rims ?

teamslug
    Free Member

I picked up some secondhand but unused Crossmax slr’s with rocket rons for £500 in summer. Amazing wheels. Strong and very light. Can’t fault them.

br
    Free Member

Last year I decided to treat myself and came very close to a pair of DT carbon rimmed jobbies at (a discounted) £1500 – and then saw a bit of sense and bought two pairs of Hope Pro2 evo SP’s c/w Crests for less than £600.

Very happy with them.

gixerator
    Free Member

quick update my wheelset is DT SWISS M1800 WITH PRO II front and M1800 Rear hub (not 180) They aren’t broke, just looking for something lighter as strong and with better pick up. I will be keeping the M1800 for another bike.

AlexSimon

Have Chris King fallen out of favour?

khani
    Free Member

I’ve had crossmax wheels for years, had enduros, XL’s, ST’s, SX’s, and just got some ST 29’s, for the overall package of weight, stiffness, strength I think they’re superb, never had any major issues and ust rims are great for faff free tubeless..
    ST’s are my fave for general riding, sx’s for proper loony stuff..

mcboo
    Free Member

I got some American Classic Race for my 29er for £530, weigh in at 1450g. Very happy with them, they do heavier duty rims too for a bit more weight.

Crossmax ST are very good but I dont think I’d bother with any wheel that didnt have regular spokes again, getting replacements is a stupidly expensive headache.

xiphon
    Free Member

What wheels for trail centre riding? Ha!

ricardo666
    Free Member

For that sort of money I’d leave it in the bank, and use the wheels you have for riding the trail centres, if anything like mr fudge, i’d put it to a hol in the alps.

gixerator
    Free Member

What wheels for trail centre riding? Ha!

Can you let me know where Im allowed to ride with upgraded wheels,

If Innerleithen,Coedy,Glentress,Whinlatter,Llandegla,Whinlatter,Penmach

The peaks, North Wales moors etc….aren’t going to feel any benefit or are they going to banish me?

Another ST Troll!! with no intelect to come up with something constructive, yes I could roll around on any wheels, I could roll around any terain but thats not the question. If the answer is Ha, £550!! or trail center!!! tell me why its not woth upgrading I might even save some money

ashfanman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s your money – you can spend it on what you like and ride wherever you like.

As I said, I’d go for Hope Hoops and save £250, but if you want to spend more then you’d struggle to beat DT240s on either Flows or another Stans rim.

mboy
    Free Member

There really is a lot of anti money spend nazi’s on this forum. The OP is more than likely aware that he can get perfectly good wheels for half his budget, but had the means and desire to spend what he wants. Why make a song and dance about it?

Anyway… Another huge vote for DT Swiss 240 hubs here. There really is no contest if you can afford them. Chris Kings are heavy, noisy and a PITA to look after by comparison. Go with a set of these built onto Stans Crest/Arch/Flow rims (depends on your desired width and strength) built up with DT comp spokes. There’s very little point in CX Rays on an MTB (other than their fatigue life if you do huge milages), they are also more flexy than the venerable DT comp. If you must save a tiny bit more weight, go for DT Super Comps. Revolutions are lighter still but can be too flexy IMO.

If you’re happy with an off the shelf wheel set though, the Spesh Roval Traverse EL’s that northwind linked to are also very good. They feature DT Swiss hub internals, rims very much like a stan’s crest, straight pull super comp spokes and they’re light for a wheel that’s up to a fair amount of abuse. I’ve had a set for 18 months now and they’ve been superb. Not as easy to fix as a Handbuilt wheel though due to proprietary rims and spokes.

porlus
    Free Member

Was going to suggest Campagnolo Neutrons, but then remembered this is a mountain bike forum 😆
    But, speaking of Campag wheels. Do Fulcrum do offroad ??

CaptainSlow

I can add Fulcrum to the recommendation list.

Either red metal or red power (or whatever their AM wheels are called).

Often can be found for a good price and a credible alternative to Mavic ST/SX or DT 240s

pete68
    Free Member

“No intelect”, lol.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s very little point in CX Rays on an MTB (other than their fatigue life if you do huge milages), they are also more flexy than the venerable DT comp. If you must save a tiny bit more weight, go for DT Super Comps. Revolutions are lighter still but can be too flexy IMO.

Agree that CX-Rays are pointless on MTBs, but they’re no flexier than Revs – it’s just a flattened Laser, Aerolites = flattened Rev.

gixerator
    Free Member

well I have bought some ZTR CREST on 240’s. I am just getting some center locks and I will report back with an update.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m just getting some CB iodines, with such a mixed bag of reviews around it will be interesting to see how they do .

mashiehood
    Free Member

good choice – will be a great set of wheels.

neninja
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Industry Nine hubs but for availability of spares I would stick with Hope.

Hope Pro 2 Evo spares are readily available at loads of shops and failing that next day online.

I’d pair them with Arch EX rims – perfect balance of light weight and strength or if you are light and easy on your rims then Crest for a bit more weight saving.

I can recommend Moonglu as my personal experience of their wheel builds has been very positive.

njee20
    Free Member

Bit late.

gixerator
    Free Member

Thanks anyway, They were in the Ex display at CRC and with the extra 10% off I couldnt resist,

Under £400 as well

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘best wheel set for £550’ is closed to new replies.