Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • The best all things considered way of carrying a carbon road bike with a car….
  • njee20
    Free Member

There’s no issue whatsoever with clamping carbon frames, that’s the OP’s paranoia. But I’d still far rather have my bike in the car, even my crap winter road bike!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Try one of these, 6,000 miles and 2 carbon bikes no problems 😀

Wookster

Saris grand fondo two mate….. Sorted!

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    Don’t know what you think a bike bag will offer that a blanket doesn’t, other than being far more faff.

Easier to put a square soft edge object on the back seat via the rear door than manouvre a fork ended, chain ring shod rear mech holding wet and muddy awkward shape into it.

Also easier to pack / un pack, rather than turn bike upside down on the pavement, install remove wheels etc you can just open the the bag, do it, and the reverse when packing up so the bike is always in/ on a protective environment. .

Re your latter post Njee et al – it may be part paranoia but google it and you’ll see plenty discuss its negative issues. Le tour support cars don’t even use the system at their slow speeds.

globalti
    Free Member

Wheels off and nice and safe in the boot.

Kryton57

Well, it worked fine this morning. Bike upside down in the bag wheels off and bars turned. Bag does up completely, and slides nicely onto the back seat. Becuase its a “soft” bag it squashes nicely if need through the door (only constrained by the bike TBH).

One arrived I just opened the bag – the bike of course is already upside down without having to put the saddle / bars on the pavement – slotted in the wheels, removed bike and off I go – 5 minute job.

The only (slight obsessive) issue I have with that bag is that it has zips on the inside which could scratch the frame – perhaps I’m worrying too much, or its the fact that my matt paintwork is of a “chalkboard” effect. I might gaffer over the zips……

Steve77
    Free Member

A big plastic bag like mattresses come in might be even better

Dales_rider
    Free Member

You werent listening, again, were you 😛

Kryton57

A van was over budget DR.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Way you’re populating the world wont be long before you need one 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘The best all things considered way of carrying a carbon road bike with a car….’ is closed to new replies.