Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Beast – Peaks
  • Frankers
    Free Member

Can anyone let me know the whereabouts of “The Beast” in the Peak District or even better a GPX file for it, wanna give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks

steveh

I don’t do gps but the trail known as the beast runs from hope cross down to the a57 snake pass. It comes out opposite the climb to hagg farm (tarmac road into trail). It’s the on in the trees so turing right if you’ve come to hope cross from hope or similar.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&safe=active&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=53.389804,-1.75674&spn=0.012669,0.042186&t=h&z=15&msid=200870324596290275011.0004a18133ca62097e781
    Should work i hope

sambob
    Free Member

YGM.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Badlywireddog and I have rechristened it “The Pussy Cat” 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

its the PEAK.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s It’s!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

whatever some ancient tribe was called, the popular vote is “Peaks” and that’s all that counts. Language is endlessly mutable.

BigJohn

Dark Peak, White Peak, I count 2. Peaks.

RobHilton
    Free Member

+ High Peak = 3

Blower
    Free Member

dark peak
    white peak.

BadlyWiredDog

Badlywireddog and I have rechristened it “The Pussy Cat”

‘Fluffy Kittens’, Barnes. Get your comedy names right 😉 I’d go and ride Cut Gate out and back instead, it’s much better, much longer, much faster and in primo nick at the moment. And you can buy tea and cake at either end and beer on the Langsett side.

BadlyWiredDog

Dark Peak,’White Peak, Peak District, Broad Peak, Peak this, Peak that… I go with “Peak’, but I’m prepared to allow others to use whatever benighted albeit incorrect terms they want…

boxelder

Why does that trail get such attention – it’s a few minutes over big stones, without much of a view.

Cut Gate +1

Frankers
    Free Member

boxelder – Member

Why does that trail get such attention – it’s a few minutes over big stones, without much of a view.

Cut Gate +1

Should i avoid then??

Frankers
    Free Member

anyway cheers Sam….

ton

do it as part of a big loop from langsett.
    over cutgate, back of ladybower, hagg farm, roman road, beast, cut throat bridge, north side of ladybower and cutgate to finish.

cracking day out.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thats my route tomorrow ton starting in edale tho

boxelder

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so negative – I just don’t see what the fuss is about.
    what ton suggested means you’ll do it and then. an compare it to other trails.

BadlyWiredDog

Should i avoid then??

Nope, it’s a nice downhill in a bed-rocky, stepped, rocky sort of way. It’s good, but Cut Gate is arguably the best and most atmospheric trail in the Peak(s) and only really worth riding when it’s either bone dry or frozen solid. Which it is at the moment, the former that is.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s well worth doing, but not really worth of such an intimidating name. Worth taking in if you’ve got a loop in that area I’d say.

hepsta
    Free Member

Its a good bit of downhill which doesn’t last long. The middle section once through the gate gets better and has some nice rocks to negotiate. I did it for the first time the other day. think I prefer to stay on the Roman road and down towards the A57.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Don’t head to the Peak District just to do “The Beast”

Takes maximum 5 minutes from the top at Hope Cross down to the foot of the descent.

However, as part of a longer loop in the area it’s worth doing just to say you’ve done it. Getting down without dabbing is a challenge, even more so in the wet when the rocks becomes lethally slippery!

Blower
    Free Member

preferred cut gate years back without all the surfaced bits and flags.but still a classic.

up Drewent edge is good,nice bit to the back of the pub,with the hairpins,great views up there.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Beast – Peaks’ is closed to new replies.