Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • That new black XT
  • amplebrew

Has anyone got a 2012 black XT chainset on their bike?

I was interested on how the finish had held up.

I was thinking about fitting a 2012 black XT groupset to my new Potts frame to keep everything grey and black, but I was worried that the finish would look rubbish after a few rides.

njee20
    Free Member

Helicopter tape is your friend.

GW
    Free Member

coloured crank arms are a stupid idea.

iain1775
    Free Member

Officially black is not a colour

GW
    Free Member

I **** hate officials!

awh
    Free Member

“That’s right, Dougal. You see, ordinary shops sell what look like black socks, but if you look closely, you’ll see that they’re very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue”

amplebrew

awh – Member
    “That’s right, Dougal. You see, ordinary shops sell what look like black socks, but if you look closely, you’ll see that they’re very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue”

We were laughing about that scene from Father Ted the other day; a classic 8)

awh
    Free Member

🙂
    My 2012 silver XT cranks already have a polished section, I think its because I’m wearing my wider winter boots. It’ll depend on shoe, pedal, angle you set your cleats, quantity of mud…

amplebrew

awh – Member

My 2012 silver XT cranks already have a polished section, I think its because I’m wearing my wider winter boots. It’ll depend on shoe, pedal, angle you set your cleats, quantity of mud…

It’s probably safe to say then that the black ones will start to look a mess very quickly.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Got black, 3 winter rides, now a smeary silver…..

bigjim

I remember the black LX cranks years ago getting scuffed easily.

amplebrew

munkyboy – Member
    Got black, 3 winter rides, now a smeary silver…..

That’s made my mind up, I’ll give them a miss.

Cool, thanks guys.

njee20
    Free Member

But the silver ones will look crap too. Just cover them, they’ll be fine then!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You’ve got to wonder why the manufacturers don’t put some sort of protective layer on them, haven’t you? The carbon SRAM crankset that came on my Camber scuffed straight away (I’d helitaped it but not the whole lot – more fool me, I guess…)

Cable wear on headtubes and foot wear on cranks / seatstays is a given, unless you put some aftermarket protection on. But every new geared mountain bike seems to come with a chainstay protector these days, doesn’t it?

I suppose it would take away the anticipation and fun of cutting and applying little strips of tape before you’ve built the frame up or even ridden the thing down the road 😕

GW
    Free Member

😆

some of us would rather ride our bikes than worry about scuffs

njee20
    Free Member

Some people like to keep things looking nice, some like to protect the resale value, some people are cocks, luckily we’re not all the same!

amplebrew

I’m definately in the liking to keep things looking nice as possible group.

I wouldn’t want to spend around £150 on a part for it to look well worn in only a few rides.

At least if the silver begins to wear, it probably won’t be as obvious.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘That new black XT’ is closed to new replies.