Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 195 total)
  • School holiday and Term time holiday price hiking
  • coursemyhorse
    Free Member

Yes it’s supply and demand, but it is at an extreme scale and bloomin annoying for anyone, not just those with kids. People who need to travel during school holiday seasons (who aren’t going on a holiday) get stitched up as well with the pricing.

I’m a parent and it annoys me. I haven’t been on a foreign holiday since 2007 as I haven’t been able to afford it. Fine. This year we want to but I absolutely refuse to do it during school holidays. It’s not just the pricing being up to 4 times higher, it’s the over crowding of nice places ruined by pikey brits. ;o)

But seriously, I’ll be taking them out of school. At our school if we keep to only 5 days there’s no fine, so Saturday to Saturday is doable. Fine is significant… £50 per child per day. This could run into hundreds if you take a 2 week holiday.

In terms of the actual ethics of it, I have no issue with anyone doing it. It’s up to the parents if they want to prioritize a holiday over schooling. For me, holidays with families are important and valued and cherished for years. Given that they close the schools at a drop of a hat for snow/wind/rain/”teacher taining” etc these days, and that my kids do perfectly well, I know they can afford to miss a couple of weeks especially at their age. It’s not going to affect their life one bit.

I get why schools fine. They don’t want people to “all do it” and cause emptier schools and kids to miss stuff. But in reality, the schools were never empty before fines were introduced, and missing a week is hardly the end of the world, even when doing GSCE’s. You can catch up quite easily.

I think everyone should be allowed to take 2 weeks out of school per year unauthorised to account for holidays/weddings/funerals etc.

I had to write to the school to get permission to take my kids to my sisters wedding. They said it would not be allowed. Did it anyway. No fine.

Trekster

As a kid never had a holiday.
    Could never afford to take my kids on holiday.
    My kids in turn cannot afford to take their kids on holiday.
    Daughter is a teacher, spent 3 days of half term in school/work preparing class room for next term! She got an Offsted outstanding report last year but will be burnt out very soon if she doesn’t slow down 😐 most of her wages go on nursery care for “mini-me” and buying stuff for her class 👿
    Those who slag off teachers need to go live with or befriend a teacher(primary)

loddrik
    Free Member

I half did a pgce. I know they (sometimes) work hard. But they know the workload before they become teachers. Its drilled into them enough during training. I say sometimes as not all teachers are so diligent.

And for the people are espousing never taking term time holidays. Live and let live. Stop being so judgemental on those who do. You should feel smug knowing that not having taken 10 days out of their schooling, your children will do better in life than mine.

Who knows, maybe those extra 10 days will give them enough of an advantage where they’ll get in to Oxford and maybe even go on to become a conservative politician.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doubly right on dude, the world needs more uneducated ****s.

Since when does a few weeks off mean you’re uneducated?

To all those saying that foreign holidays are a frivolous luxury – were you the same ones taking the piss out of 50% of Americans for not having a passport? Or for being insular and inward looking? Do you not think that seeing the world is a tremendously positive experience?

I know, you’ll probably come back and say that ‘oh they are just spending 2 weeks on the beach in Benidorm’, and undoubtedly some are, but some aren’t. I had amazing experiences on foreign holidays as a kid (in a caravan, we weren’t rich) and I learned a lot about history, politics, geography and a foreign language to a passable degree through the experience. If I had to take my kids away from being drilled on how to use apostrophes for the 20th time to experience this then I would seriously consider it.

I have considered taking my 4yo out of school this summer for a week before the end of term because we don’t have a lot of spare cash and she they haven’t seen half their family for two years. My youngest doesn’t remember any of them. However it doesn’t save any cash. I will also consider taking them out for a week in November because it’s the most important family holiday on that side of the sea and quality family time is important.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I had amazing experiences on foreign holidays as a kid (in a caravan, we weren’t rich)

Yes you were, your parents could afford the caravan, jumping to conclusions I presume there was a drive to keep it on and a car big enough to tow it, not forgetting the cost of the ferry.
    Compared to my welder/housewife parents you were well off, we never went anywhere apart from the odd day trip to the beach 10miles away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Amazingly as my mother was a teacher and my dad was a farmer we had limited time for holidays. We seemed to take them within the holidays and went somewhere within our budget. Just saying……

It’s not about where you go it’s about what you do with them.

My sister in law and her ex husband used to complain about the quality of students reaching them in university then took their kids out of school. Perhaps there is some correlation.

But if one thing life has taught me is I’d rather fight lions with a wet fish than try and talk rationally to a parent.

tlr

How much is child benefit these days?

surfer
    Free Member

jumping to conclusions

Dont worry, knock yourself out.

Perhaps there is some correlation

Or perhaps there isnt. Dont let that deter your clear prejudice though. As Hitch would say “what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence”

surfer
    Free Member

It’s called economics. Why should the government get involved in price fixing to suit people with kids

Nope its called politics. Governments of any hue intervene all over the place.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

(in a caravan, we weren’t rich) and I learned a lot about history, politics, geography and a foreign language to a passable degree through the experience

I grew up in a tenement and we couldn’t afford a car, far less a caravan or anywhere to put it. I take that not everyone’s lives are the same wasn’t covered in those amazingly educational holidays you had?

Since when does a few weeks off mean you’re uneducated?

Since when does not going to school help your education?

chomp
    Free Member

We’re taking our kids out of school for two days before Easter half term, have sent a letter to school with evidence that everything was booked etc before the new fines were introduced. It’s a big family get together and the place we are staying only had availability for these dates. I am not that hopeful that school will give us the ok but if that’s the case then so be it (kids both have 100% attendance up to now, 8 and 5 so this is not a normal thing).

I do find the ‘per child per parent’ thing massively annoying though, why should we pay twice for managing to have a stable home life? If they can’t come up with a fair way to ‘fine’ the parents then they shouldn’t attempt it in my opinion. This does appear to be a feature of the UK government though who haven’t exactly had a great track record with being fair when it comes to taxes etc.

I wanted to just lie and say they both had the runs, but the wife was having none of it as our goody two shoes 8 year old would’ve probably dobbed us in (the price to pay for bringing him up right I suppose)

stealthcat

Out of interest, has anyone come up with evidence that the price-hiking has got worse, or do parents just want more now?
    My parents may have felt guilty for not spending enough time with us in the holidays, but I don’t think it occurred to them that they were depriving us of essential life experiences by not taking us abroad at an early age…

footflaps

If they didn’t put the prices up all that would happen is that the holidays, in school holiday times, would sell out instantly with only the same percentage of people going. Then you’d have everyone complaining that there aren’t enough holidays available in school holidays.

There simply isn’t a business case for running a fleet of aeroplanes and hotels that are only occupied for 6 weeks during the summer!

chomp
    Free Member

that’s not the case though footflaps, as who in the right mind wants to go on holiday during a school holiday (unless you have kids). All the normal people will go as usual throughout the year, and while it might mean that the same percentage of people went on hols it would give those that found it a struggle to pay for hols abroad would a chance to go on them.

It would also mean that people would have less of an excuse to moan about being fined as if the hols aren’t loads more expensive during holidays there’s less reason to take them out of school. (obviously it would then be because they were booked and they left it until the last minute etc)

to be honest it’s not an issue for me at the moment, as we’ve had nice fancy hols (by some peoples standards for the last few years) and I’m training to become a teacher and take a massive pay cut and be forced into taking hols when the school allows – but that’s my choice so I wont be moaning about it (much)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If they didn’t put the prices up all that would happen is that the holidays, in school holiday times, would sell out instantly with only the same percentage of people going. Then you’d have everyone complaining that there aren’t enough holidays available in school holidays.

Or more likely if they didn’t discount in times of lower demand…. having gone to the Costa Blanca on a climbing holiday outside of school hols (it’s far too hot to climb then) we could book accommodation the day before we flew from a choice of 100 places and haggle on the price.

There will be the same number of cheap seats on the planes & trains in school holidays just 100x as many people going for them.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Surely it’s not price hikes as such, it’s supply and demand based discounting in term time aimed at the elderly etc.
    What about people who work in schools that have kids, how can they take hols during term time?

footflaps

Or more likely if they didn’t discount in times of lower demand.

They don’t have a choice, if they didn’t have lower prices they wouldn’t sell enough seats and go out of business.

As with any business they price their product at he maximum the market will stand. Running a holiday company is not a very profitable business, the good ones get by on a few % profit margin. You only have to google “Thomas Cook losses” to see they have been subsidising all their customer’s holidays for a good few years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What about people who work in schools that have kids, how can they take hols during term time?

Honestly, along with teachers they should just do it. Sorry no school dinners today, sorry bogs not cleaned, sorry no heating as we had to take little Johnny to Mjorcaaa* and if we hadn’t gone this week we’d av ad to go to benidorm*

*insert destination applicable

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbf people who work in schools know the obvious restrictions before they accepted the job. I’m sure the 6 weeks over summer softens the blow somewhat…

pondo
    Free Member

Interesting to see people taking their children out of school for holidays and get-togethers and weddings. Just not that sure I’d rank that over education – I know damn well my parents wouldn’t have done. Loddrick saying his kids deserve a holiday – seriously?

Another thing as well is people thinking that taking their kids out of school just means the kids have got work to catch up on. What about the work the teachers have to do to get them up to speed? Not bothered about increasing their workload to the detriment of the rest of their pupils?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    Tbf people who work in schools know the obvious restrictions before they accepted the job.

And those with kids just woke up one morning and went **** me never thought thats why we only ever went on holiday in the school holidays when I was younger!

loddrik
    Free Member

Of course, an 8 year old will suffer a lifelong academic handicap by missing those 10 days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pondo
    Free Member

Tbf people who work in schools and people who have kids know the obvious restrictions before they accepted the job. I’m sure the 6 weeks over summer softens the blow somewhat…

FTFY. Or were you not told?

loddrik
    Free Member

Another thing as well is people thinking that taking their kids out of school just means the kids have got work to catch up on. What about the work the teachers have to do to get them up to speed? Not bothered about increasing their workload to the detriment of the rest of their pupils?

😆

My 8yr old is indeed preparing for her gcse’s….

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbf people who work in schools and people who have kids know the obvious restrictions before they accepted the job. I’m sure the 6 weeks over summer softens the blow somewhat…

Erm, that’s not quite true is it…? The rules changed in September… 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One wonders whether some posters really give a shit or are just using the thread to repeat their hackneyed prejudices towards parents.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    Of course, an 8 year old will suffer a lifelong academic handicap by missing those 10 days.

POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Judging by your ill thought out response in most threads the academic handicap your child suffers is hereditary!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooh, it’s all kicking off now. How to insult the dad and the child in one sentence. Awesome!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Dd+1
    Fortunately darcey I’ve been both, so can see both sides. As a young couple we never ever went in school hols. **** that, waaawing babbys on the plane etc.
    Along came the kids and in the last 12 years we’ve had some of the best holidays ever. In that time we’ve been abroad maybe 5/6 times.
    Howevew the uk has undoubtedly provided us with the best holidays in that last 12 years, but we are a big outdoor loving family.

loddrik
    Free Member

Judging by your ill thought out response in most threads the academic handicap your child suffers is hereditary!

🙄

Nice to know I’ve made an impression on you. I haven’t got a **** clue who you are or what you post… 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s they way I look at it too wrightyson. We never went on holidays during school holidays. However, there have been times we’ve ended up in places with families, no doubt thick parents with uneducated children of course. I’ve never seen it as a problem – adults, kids, everyone on holidays, everyone enjoying themselves. You’d have to be a bit of a misery to let that get you down. Though, judging from the posts here, there are some right misery-guts with whom I’m glad I’ll never have to share space when it comes to holidays during school holidays. They can sit staring at one another with contempt across the restaurant with all the other grown-ups. 🙂

I know my choices will be limited by cost a bit more in a few years, though you’d swear I’d have had to have that concept beaten in to me with a wet fish according to the prejudiced.

BillOddie

In traditional Singletrack manner I will weigh in with my 2p worth without reading ANYTHING apart 1st post…

there are 2 issues here really isn’t there.

1) Taking kids away during school time and the POSSIBLE impact on their education.
    2) The perceived price gouging by holiday companies etc during the school holidays.

With regard to point 1.
    I was taken out of school for FOUR MONTHS whilst in Primary School. My father managed to swing a sabbatical from his University lecturer job to do Biological Field Work in New Zealand. The Headteacher allowed us to go providing we kept diaries and took work along with us. We had a couple of weeks of School in ChCh and Auk but that was it. “It didn’t do me any harm” …in fact quite the opposite I would argue.
    Being taken out of school for a couple of weeks so Mum and Dad can get a cheap trip to Turkey so they booze by the pool of a All Inclusive Hotel isn’t the same really is it.

The education system has changed (for better and worse probably) since I was kid so I have no doubt I would be told in no uncertain terms that I wouldn’t be able to take my kids for 4 months to NZ. Times change. You can’t take your kids out of school during term time. Deal with it. Adjust.

Those same parents trying to pull little Toby out of School for 2 weeks in the sun will likely be the ones bitching and moaning about their kids poor grades and saying the teachers are doing bad job.

With regard to point 2.
    People now expect cheap EVERYTHING, bikes, books, CDs, EVERYTHING.
    When they are confronted with stuff that’s priced at RRP or where the market dictates it can be priced (and it’s higher than they are willing to pay) they get shirty.

If Holidays were massively overpriced (for the market) during the School Holidays then Centreparcs will be empty in School Hoilidays and I’ll be able to get four seats to myself on a flight to Magaluf. Oh hang on, No. THEY ARE FULL. Which means they are priced correctly.

It’s simple economics.

People are confusing cheap off peak holiday with being price gouged in peak times. It’s not rocket science.

pondo
    Free Member

My 8yr old is indeed preparing for her gcse’s….

Hope she has better comprehension than you.

footflaps

One wonders whether some posters really give a shit or are just using the thread to repeat their hackneyed prejudices towards parents.

You really think so?

I just didn’t get the memo explaining that having an overseas package holiday had become a basic human right. My parents never went abroad when we were children, couldn’t afford it. Can’t say it did us any harm.

pondo
    Free Member

Erm, that’s not quite true is it…? The rules changed in September… [/quote]
    No, the only difference is that now schools can fine you for your apathy towards the education they’re required to provide.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Nice to know I’ve made an impression on you. I haven’t got a **** clue who you are or what you post…

is that due to your lack of academic ability? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You really think so?

I do yes. I wouldn’t have said it otherwise footflaps.

I just didn’t get the memo explaining that having an overseas package holiday had become a basic human right.

Can’t say it did us any harm.

Are you sure you weren’t on a long weekend the day they did “hyperbole” at school?

footflaps

No, the only difference is that now schools can fine you for your apathy towards the education they’re required to provide.

That’s another basic freedom lost. If you can’t be apathetic I don’t know what you can be….

mudshark
    Free Member

I’d have thought a kid missing a 2 week block could be quite a PITA for the teachers – depending on what’s being taught anyway. Say the kids are introduced to a concept then they move into learning more about it – if a kid misses the early lessons the later ones won’t make much sense.

Oh well, the underclass aren’t so bothered about education anyway right?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘School holiday and Term time holiday price hiking’ is closed to new replies.