Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 195 total)
  • School holiday and Term time holiday price hiking
  • anagallis_arvensis

I manage to have a holiday most years during school hols and I am hardly made of money even now we have an ankle biter. Doesnt cost that much to go to wales camping. Holidays abroad are hardly a necessity. If holidays were different in different areas you’d always have people on the borders who end up with kids in different schools. Not sure how much of a problem that would be in reality though.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m not a teacher, so I don’t earn teachers wages, don’t have a teachers pension, and have no need to be sanctimonious with regards unauthorised school absences.

I do have to do the best I can for my kids. So I’ll give them a holiday, because they deserve one, it’s not their fault that I’m a ****.

miketually
    Free Member

If holidays were different in different areas you’d always have people on the borders who end up with kids in different schools.

We’ve had that here, when Easter has been at odd times and different authorities made different decisions. A colleague whose wife taught over the county boundary lost Feb half term and a week of Easter of holiday time together, as well as the two weeks we’re out of synch every summer. We had lots of attendance issues with families taking kids on holiday in the ‘overlap’ weeks, too.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not a teacher, so I don’t earn teachers wages, don’t have a teachers pension, and have no need to be sanctimonious with regards unauthorised school absences.

I do have to do the best I can for my kids. So I’ll give them a holiday, because they deserve one, it’s not their fault that I’m a ****.

Someone’s bitter.

This teacher’s pay isn’t enough to take his family on a Eurocamp holiday to France for a fortnight.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ll be fined, I’ll live with that. Still much much cheaper.

Right on dude – after all, it’s not like your kids need educating, is it?

So I’ll give them a holiday, because they deserve one, it’s not their fault that I’m a ****.

Doubly right on dude, the world needs more uneducated ****s.

I don’t have kids. I take my holidays when I feel like and get some great deals – wanna hear about last year and the 4 star hotel that chucked in a couple of days scuba diving beacuse it was out of kiddie season?

anagallis_arvensis

If you have to do your best for your kids keep them in school and spend time with them doing something cheaper. Simples. Or earn more. Or you could become a teacher and have a massive salary and gold plated pension, plenty if jobs out there.

loddrik
    Free Member

Someone’s bitter.

This teacher’s pay isn’t enough to take his family on a Eurocamp holiday to France for a fortnight.

For £580 quid?? Yes , I am a total big licks…

Fwiw, even an nqt prob earns two or three times what I do.

I’ll have absolutely no regrets or remorse about my kids enjoying 10 days in France, none whatsoever.

If you have to do your best for your kids keep them in school and spend time with them doing something cheaper. Simples. Or earn more. Or you could become a teacher and have a massive salary and gold plated pension, plenty if jobs out there.

Again, they’ll recover, they are 4 and 8. Plus my kids see far more of their dad than most. Life’s good. I’ve forsaken my career so I’m there for my kids, maybe more dads should do the same….

vickypea
    Free Member

Holidays abroad are not a necessity but many parts of the UK are horribly crowded during UK school holidays. Imagine how much more crowded they would be if no one had the luxury of a foreign holiday?
    We decided to have a day in York one Easter holiday but York was stuffed full of holidaying families that it was horrible.

richmars

Surely you just go on the holiday you can afford?

vickypea
    Free Member

I can afford foreign holidays because I live in a house the size of a postage stamp, with a communal garden, and I drive an old, small car. It’s about priorities.

miketually
    Free Member

Fwiw, even an nqt prob earns two or three times what I do.

If you’re on between £7000 and £10000 a year, you probably shouldn’t be going to France for your holiday.

loddrik
    Free Member

Why’s that? 😕

You ‘probably’ should spend less time making pointless assumptions.

MrSmith
    Free Member

So I’ll give them a holiday, because they deserve one

Deserving or not they get loads of holiday, 6 weeks in the summer, Easter, Christmas and a few weeks interspersed throughout the year.

miketually
    Free Member

Because if that’s your family income, shouldn’t you be spending it on food and a home?

Whatever, this teacher’s got to get back to marking. Which is also how I spent part of my ‘holiday’.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Plus my kids see far more of their dad than most. Life’s good.

They enjoy listening to you whinging abut how much it costs to take them on holidays you can’t afford?

tlr

Supply and demand, what a crazy notion on which to base price!

I’m just off to convince someone to sell me a bottle of rare wine and a vintage car for the price is some plonk and a Fiesta, only fair after all…..

anagallis_arvensis

Hope your mrs earns a bit more than 7-10k

loddrik
    Free Member

I can afford it, not during school holidays though.

loddrik
    Free Member

Hope your mrs earns a bit more than 7-10k

Why?

anagallis_arvensis

Because otherwise you wouldnt be able to afford to feed those poor little mites of your let alone take them to France on holiday. Either that or you are just talking shite.

wrightyson
    Free Member

This post is going the way I thought and ioddrik is bearing the brunt of the teachers and folks who don’t have kids. His kids are young but in my eyes neither need a holiday or will suffer by having one. We’ve took out kids out of school just once for a week in the last 7 years. That was for a big family occasion and was when the eldest was 9. Now the eldest is at “big school” it will only be the odd day here and there.
    I recently waited two weeks to be granted permission to take my daughter to a family wedding in term time, softly softly catchy monkey was my approach and it paid off with the permission being granted.
    However she’s excelling at school so far and hasn’t missed any other time off, I’m sure it helps…

loddrik
    Free Member

Could be. Or just railing again sanctimonious fools who spout nonsense. I’ll take the girls on holiday. People carp judgemental opinions on Internet forums. But the world keeps on turning. Strange eh….

miketually
    Free Member

People carp judgemental opinions on Internet forums.

And ill-informed ones too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you be ‘marking’…?

MrSmith
    Free Member

The world keeps on turning even if some poor people can’t afford to take their children on foreign holidays.

miketually
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you be out at a second job to pay for a school holiday break?

anagallis_arvensis

I believe you raised the issue as a massive whine and then went on to hine that you earn less than half an nqt’s wage (22k I think). Forgive me for not giving a **** about your non existant problems.
    Wrightyson sems very sensible, shame the rules are so inflexible imo but its not the teachers fault.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I’m just off to convince someone to sell me a bottle of rare wine and a vintage car for the price is some plonk and a Fiesta, only fair after all…..
    Remember that’s only valid if you can produce one these..

loddrik
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you be out at a second job to pay for a school holiday break?

I have one, full time dad. Best job in the world. Beats money, material wealth or career ambition every time. More dads should try it.

I believe you raised the issue as a massive whine and then went on to hine that you earn less than half an nqt’s wage (22k I think). Forgive me for not giving a **** about your non existant problems.
    Wrightyson sems very sensible, shame the rules are so inflexible imo but its not the teachers fault.

I don’t think you’ll find anywhere I was looking for sympathy.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I have one, full time dad. Best job in the world. Beats money, material wealth or career ambition every time.

Does it beat being able to afford a holiday without interfering with your child’s education?

loddrik
    Free Member

Yep, because I can spend all those extra mornings, afternoons and evenings with them. And they learn more from me than they will from a miserable teacher can teach them in the ten days they’ll miss.

I missed 3 months off school when I was 10 with hepatitis. I’m still here, I didn’t turn into someone who lost the ability to read and write in the time off. I imagine my daughters will just about cope with 10 days off. And plus, it isn’t even both kids, the younger one is in nursery.

My oldest one is well clear of everyone in terms of academic ability in her class. I’ll take a bit of credit for that as she doesn’t get to see me for an hour a day once I’m back in from work. Something for me to be sanctimonious about.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t understand what there is to complain about. We live in a capitalist society where price is driven by demand, the more people want something then the higher the price. It’s called economics. Why should the government get involved in price fixing to suit people with kids. We have a child, holidays cost more during school holiday, that’s the way it is.

anagallis_arvensis

I bet you’re a joy at parents evening!
    You could always try home learning seeing as you are so awesome.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I missed 3 months off school when I was 10 with hepatitis. I’m still here

I never had a family holiday while at school, I’m still here to point out the obvious narcissism and sense of entitlement.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I missed 3 months off school when I was 10 with hepatitis. I’m still here, I didn’t turn into someone who lost the ability to read and write in the time off

maybe not, but you do seem to be someone who doesn’t understand the most basic rules of supply and demand, which most 15 year olds can grasp.
    Still, you’re poor, you’re happy and you want the same for your kids, and poverty isn’t the hardest thing in the world to acheive, is it, so you probably think you’re a success.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

While I have some sympathy for those who have a genuine complaint others don’t convince me.
    A mate at work struggles to take his family for a week at Butlins in school holidays and I understand his frustration
    BUT
    Contrast that with a woman on local tele tonight who took her kids out of school for a holiday in Mexico, apparently going in term time cost her around £5,000 but if she went in the school holiday it would be £7.500
    FFS …. Hasn’t she heard of European holidays … I’m sure my mate would have a dream family holiday for £5 k even in the school holidays

loddrik
    Free Member

I am awesome. No really.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t know what you’re trying to achieve now ioddrik 🙄
    You’ve made your decision and that’s that.
    I too would love to spunk 5k on a holiday but I guarantee we’ll be having a blast at Easter with it just costing us the four flights. Not what you know but who 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Never seen a thread with so many people behaving like clowns.

loddrik
    Free Member

Good for you!

No surprises that this tightening of the holiday regulations came in under Gove’s watch.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘School holiday and Term time holiday price hiking’ is closed to new replies.