Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Tell me something cool and interesting
  • crikey
    Free Member

Panaracer Mach SS cross tyres need to be at 75psi to allow one to ‘rag’ ones crosser. Pressures below this make the bike feel like its riding through treacle.

jon1973
    Free Member

I invented the Pot Noodle.

You bloody liar, I invented the Pot Noodle and to a lesser extent, the Pot Rice.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just outside Madrid there is a village called Daganzo de Arriba (Upper or Higher Daganzo), but there isn’t a corresponding Daganzo de Abajo (Lower Daganzo). 😯
    It is important…

BigJohn

My weight and blood pressure are a lot lower than they were when I started eating the iDave way, 2 months ago.

And they’re lower than they were about 10 years ago too.

santacoops
    Free Member

Just tested Michelin all mountains and I like them, more surprising than interesting… but they look cool.

yunki
    Free Member

You personally may find this interesting Mol, because there will be uber cool people there discussing the why’s of modern art ad nauseum..

Great Birds of the British Isles are four female artists,
    Milk, K148, Dora and Amour currently living and working in Bristol, England.
    They bring site-specific beautification, to exhibition spaces and disused shops, the diamonds in the rough.
    The collective formed in 2009, working closely together incorporating their visuals and individual styles, whilst all concentrating on their own creations – their delusions of grandeur, in the feathered revolution.

The birds combine paintings, prints and photography, with their use of colour, form and essence, allowing the viewer to find each space unique.
    Spreading their wings, dropping their liquid styles onto the walls and floors. Decorating, and simplifying, all in one stroke.
    Tails become entwined for the 3rd time, the birds are back to 4 again,
    a hefty 2 year wait is over and they’re back in their hometown.
    We take you up a floor to,

The Upper gallery,
    The Island,
    Bridewell St,
    Bristol, BS1 2LE.

16th-24th July – 12-7pm daily.

jon1973
    Free Member

On a pedestrian crossing, underneath the box with the ‘press and wait’ button on it, there is a knob (like a volume control) pointing downwards towards the floor, which rotates when the beeps are going to give blind/deaf people a tactile way of telling them it’s safe to cross the road.

ononeorange

Marilyn Monroe had six toes. On one foot. I forget which one.

iDave
    Free Member

Nice one BigJohn

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You can see the Great Wall of China from space.

Maybe.

southbeds
    Free Member

luton is a really nice town

bikebouy
    Free Member

Poole has the largest “natural” harbour in the world..

[/i]Allegedly

Cougar

This is an urban myth.

Cougar

Poole has the largest “natural” harbour in the world..

I’ve played pool in Poole. I’ve also played Carcassonne in Carcassonne, and am really looking forward to visiting Lesbos some day.

jon1973
    Free Member

This is an urban myth.

yeah, I bet the average motorway is wider that the Great Wall of China.

Drac

The Great Wall of China is longer than your average motorway.

rs
    Free Member

On a pedestrian crossing, underneath the box with the ‘press and wait’ button on it, there is a knob (like a volume control) pointing downwards towards the floor, which rotates when the beeps are going to give blind/deaf people a tactile way of telling them it’s safe to cross the road.

just blind people, deaf people can see the green man 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

just blind people, deaf people can see the green man

blind people can hear the beeps 😉

some people are deaf and blind.

I suspect it helps whoever needs helping.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Not especially cool, but interesting: stretching doesn’t stop you from feeling sore info here

portlyone

Length of English motorway/trunk road (i.e. not local roads) = Length of English coastline.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IIRC, what you can see is a dust cloud built up along the Wall.

I was meant to be in Beijing next week and was going to go and see it, but now I’m not going. 🙁

maccruiskeen

Any coastline is theoretically infinitely long, the more close and detailed your measurements the longer it gets

ransos
    Free Member

Length of English motorway/trunk road (i.e. not local roads) = Length of English coastline.

The English coastline is infinitely long. Fractals, innit.

Gah. Beaten to it!

sharkbait
    Free Member

ITV are overprotective of some of their documents and it’s starting to annoy me 🙁

j_me
    Free Member

Any coastline is theoretically infinitely long, the more close and detailed your measurements the longer it gets

nah can’t be. The coast line of Peter Viggers’ duck pond is smaller than the coast line of the Americas.

BigJohn

This is an urban myth.

Yes but space starts just a few miles up. Get to 50 miles and you’ve achieved astronaut status.

RealMan
    Free Member

Genuine fractals can’t exist in the real world, the idea that any coastline is infinite is merely a metaphor that in reality doesn’t hold. The coastline of Britain is finite (as are all coastlines).

But just to be pedantic..

nah can’t be. The coast line of the isle of Wight is smaller than the coast line of the Americas.

Just because two things are infinite doesn’t mean they’re the same size. You can have different size infinities.

For example,

lim (x->inf) of x = inf

but the lim (x->inf) of x^x = inf too

Surely for large x, x^x > x ?

yunki
    Free Member

lim (x->inf) of x = inf

but the lim (x->inf) of x^x = inf too

Surely for large x, x^x > x ?

that is definitely cool and interesting in some circles… 8)

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, IGMC.

dyna-ti

The height of an elephant equals the circumference of its foot.

tazzymtb

I can fit an entire orange in my mouth, peel it in my mouth and gob the bits back out, thanks to;

A: spending a lot of time working with and observing the behavior of greater primates

and

B: Having a mouth like a black hole

jj55
    Drac

The Great Wall of China and Space the Answer

So yes they can be seen but no not the only object.

tazzymtb

Yeti’s exist but aren’t a primate, they’re a type of rare bear which walks with it’s rear paw stepping into the front paw marks making it look like a long foot.

toby1

The root cause of a bug I was looking into earlier today was that the date being passed into the database was not being translated into a recognised Oracle format.

The tailwind I had on the way to work was indeed a chronic headwind on the way home today.

The selection of a new car you share with your wife is not easy …

Sorry none of this is interesting or cool.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just because two things are infinite doesn’t mean they’re the same size

Infinite things aren’t any size at all, they’re infinite. So that’s a semantically invalid sentence you have there.

BigJohn

Some branches of particle physics research deny the existence of infinity.

Partly because of logical calculation. Mostly because it messes up their equations, and they’d be better off without it (and they might get another research grant).

molgrips
    Free Member

Infinity exists as a mathematical construct – whether or not anything in physics is infinite is another question.

heresjonny
    Free Member

If you ever get stuck in an avalanche, the best way to get out is to dribble what ever way the dribble goes, dig the other way to get out. FACT

RealMan
    Free Member

I can fit an entire orange in my mouth, peel it in my mouth and gob the bits back out, thanks to;

I want to see a video of that 😀

Infinite things aren’t any size at all, they’re infinite. So that’s a semantically invalid sentence you have there.

Define size. There’s many people who would disagree with you I think.

Some branches of particle physics research deny the existence of infinity.

In reality? Seems fairly obvious. In mathematics, maybe not.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Tell me something cool and interesting’ is closed to new replies.