Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tell me about roadie tubeless
  • dazh

Hit something in the road last night and snakebited(bit?) both wheels. Only had one tube but luckily had some stick on patches so avoided a Mrs Daz rescue callout. So I was thinking I should go tubeless. What do I need to know? Can I just do it with Stan’s tape and normal tyres or do you need tubeless specific rims and tyres to cope with the higher pressures? My main concern is the tyre blowing off the rim at an inopportune moment.

2POC

You need a specific tyre and rim due to the pressure. Some may say not but i wouldn’t fancy risking it at 40/50mph downhill..

schmiken

You need tubeless specific rims and tyres due to the higher pressures. Not as bodgeable as MTB unfortunately!

dazh

Thought so…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-it-possible-or-wise-to-run-standard-road-tyres-tubeless

Oh well suppose I’ll stick to tubes for now until I need some new wheels.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was under the impression that it was the tyres that were critical and that some rims can run strips. Check the stans website. I run stans rims and schwalbe one tyres and have previously run Hutchinson. I’m sold on the concept.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

You could just take the valve core out and inject some stans sealant into your innertube.

I had a spell about a month ago when the weather and roads got much worse when I had quite a few punctures due to thorns and rubbish on the roads along with launching into pitch dark potholes etc. I’ve since put stans in and the problem seems to have been solved. Probably just down to pure luck really but it’s a bit of extra protection. It’s not the time of year for fixing punctures in the great outdoors. 🙂

pryally
    Free Member

It’s fine to run tubeless tyres on non tubeless rims, well it as been for me on two pairs of wheels with archetype rims, just used 2 wraps of tape and went up easily. I think the big issue is using normal tyres tubeless.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about roadie tubeless’ is closed to new replies.