Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • tell me about iphone
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Hi upgrade time thinking of an iphone. I use mainly for web and texting then checking emails via outlook and lastly calls lol so is iphone up to it and which model pros and cons any good deals on at min. Mate rates blackberry but seems a bit hit and miss on web esp here. Cheers

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

….and how does it compare to the Nokia 5800?

Pook

no pic messaging, crap camera, a better one will come out in 6 months

fisha
    Free Member

I have the iphone. its slick to use. the web is good, sometimes slow, but certainly very usable … i use it a lot at work and also the maps to find my way around if i need to.

texting is ok … although i think that overall, i prefer to press actual keys when typing. there are some annoyances though … i cant forward a text message onto another person, nor can i copy/paste the message into a new one. so if thats something you do, then it could be frustrating.

I dont have any bother with getting access to my email. no issues.

phone wise, i like it, big buttons on the keypad page, but sometimes its a a little protracted to go form the homescreen, to the contacts / phone page, find the name, bring up their details and then press the number to call it. i miss just pressing the call button to bring up the last calls made and pressing it again to call the last person.

ipod wise, magic … very hard to beat.

general use, i find its slow to switch between applications as well. i’m often going ” hurry up ” to it when trying to do stuff with different apps.

compared to a blackberry?

well, the missus is just about to upgrade and she finds the iphone difficult to type on. she is used to stylus touchscreens, and so uses her nail to tap the screen, and on an iphone, that doesn’t work. she also has a slidey out keypad phone and loves to type using the keypad.

Based on this, we’ve just ordered the blackberry 8900 ( Curve / Javelin ) for her. It’ll do all the things she wants including MMS, look good, and have a proper keypad.

Given the iphones drawbacks, i’m quite tempted to switch to the blackberry further down the line. iphone is nice, but it can be annoying sometimes.

gtkid
    Free Member

Big, txting is crap, camera is ok for basic stuff, alarm can’t be used unless phone is actually on, but as I use it for work I find it very useful, email / web etc.

firestarter
    Free Member

The new curve seems good but how good is web on it as thats the biggest thing i use . Mates pre 8900 seems hit and miss thanks

tyke
    Free Member

I’ve got the 8GB model. Having previously used Nokia’s for the last 10+ years I am really pleased with it. For web use it’s very good especially as my contract with O2 doesn’t penalise me for data usage, so I can surf as much as I like. Beware though if you go abroad as the roaming agreements typically make any form of data use very expensive.

Texting is OK – the keyboard popup window is fine if you have normal sized fingers but if your’s are like sausages it might be a bit tricky! 😆 The only drawback to the sms application is that it doesn’t support MMS – though this is not an issue for me.

I would get the 16GB version if you want to load it with loads of music, videos etc.

GrahamS

The biggest issue I have is the lack of cut and paste.
    Other than that it is near perfect for me.

Web surfing in particular is miles ahead of anything I have seen on similar devices, including Blackberrys.

sometimes its a a little protracted to go form the homescreen, to the contacts / phone page, find the name, bring up their details and then press the number to call it.

Double-click the Home button then press your favourite. Done.

andym
    Free Member

For web use it’s very good especially as my contract with O2 doesn’t penalise me for data usage, so I can surf as much as I like.

I thought they had a Fair Use limit and when I looked it wasn’t very much.

firestarter – if you just want something for making calls and texting then it’s OTT. But if you want a rival to a Windows Mobile phone then it’s definitely worth a look. Best thing is to try to have a play with one.

jam-bo

I havent hit any limit yet…

theginjaninja
    Free Member

I haven’t hit any limits yet. New ones will be out in June.

GrahamS

They used to have a 200MB limit, but they dropped that in Nov 2007.

The Terms now just say:

The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited’s Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
    o in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    o to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
    o in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
    http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/iphone

aviemoron
    Free Member

Never use camera, browsing excellent, touchscreen typing fine with me, as a phone excellent, e-mail / contact / calendar syncing excellent, all in all still a pleasure to use 6 months on. By now with my last few phones I’m bored and just using them when required rather than playing! Oh and using it with headphones under a safety helmet means I never miss a call.

samuri
    Free Member

a better one will come out in 6 months

That’s technology for you. Every device will be like that.

jam-bo

at least with the iphones you can upgrade the software.

scraprider
    Free Member

you can forward pics by downloading the app for it, lack of bluetooth and forwarding msgs are a bit of a pain tbh, i got 16gig one and am well pleased with it. no dought there will be some fimware updates to sort theses issuse out, apart from that , its sweet dude real sweet

richcc
    Free Member

For me – best gadget ever.

andym
    Free Member

They used to have a 200MB limit, but they dropped that in Nov 2007.

Graham – thanks, that’s useful to know.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

My 2 p’s worth – it’s a cracking phone, great for web browsing, loads of great apps, good maps etc. Unfortunately it’s cursed with a glass screen.

I’ve broken two now – the first one fell off the bench at the gym, fell about 18″ and shattered. You can’t repair them so that’s £350 for a new one please. 6 months later, one slid off the lid of my ruc sac onto the floor – about 12″ at most, landing flat on the back of the phone. Same thing, shattered screen.

I’ve gone back to a nokia now. The iPhone is great, and every use of the e71 reminds just how lousy the nokia is by comparison. But at £350 a pop, I’m not getting another one. I’d not broken a phone in 14 years before the 2 iPhones. Great idea, fatally flawed by a glass screen.

hitman
    Free Member

Had mine for 3 weeks or so now and its an amazing device, which does almost everything I want a phone/pda/handheld to do. In response to the above post, I dropped mine from about 3 feet to a concrete floor and the phone worked fine afterwards

scraprider
    Free Member

take out the insurance. for them stupid moments, or you could always take more care, dropped mine twice now , still working ok .

hitman
    Free Member

If anyone’s particularly interested in the way computing/the internet is likely to develop in this area, then seek out the MIT podcasts on i-Tunes. In particular a fascinating lecture by Bill Joy (formerly of Sun Microsysetms, creater of Java etc) from a 2005 conference

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘tell me about iphone’ is closed to new replies.