• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tech idiot: What's the difference between a Notebook and a Laptop then?
  • grtdkad

As above really?
    They were all just called laptops the last time I bought one…
    Notebook?
    Netbook?
    Laptop?

Please explain …. 🙄

nickjb
    Free Member

They stopped calling them laptops when they started burning peoples laps. So laptops are now notebooks. Netbooks generally have a slower processor and are a bit smaller, ideal for surfing the ‘net

Mikkel
    Free Member

I always suspected it was something marketing people came up with.
    all bloody laptops in my mind.

grtdkad

Great. That helps thanks!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Netbooks don’t have dvd-drives (AFAIK), and have less ports & connectivity – they only run over wi-fi, etc.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Indeed, netbooks don’t have a disc drive, but they’re ideal for browsing the net and if you really need to install something thats bnot available on the web you can fire it onto a USB stick via a PC and install it like that. 😀

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Netbooks don’t have dvd-drives (AFAIK), and have less ports & connectivity – they only run over wi-fi, etc.

correct no disk drive but modern netbooks have 3 usb,ethernet,hdmi ports and sd card reader and a screen output

jota180
    Free Member

Netbooks only [or they used to] ship with 1GB of RAM in order to take advantage of much lower pricing for from Microsoft

simonralli2
    Free Member

Are netbooks able to show pdf files?

I am thinking of getting a cheap one, basically so I do not have to carry a macbook in São Paulo for obvious reasons. I would only need to make a few notes on a wordpad type document, light surfing, email and the pdfs would be converted slides from my Mac presentations.

Seems like a cheaper solution than a £400+ ipad which I can see why they are good for others but I am on a tight budget and netbooks seem fine for what I need.

Cheers!

Simon

chakaping
    Free Member

simon – dunno about PDFs but I have a Samsung NC-something or other netbook and it’s excellent for email, surfing and writing notes etc.

Much more likely to take it out with me than a full-size laptop.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers Chakaping

Mike – does “screen output” mean you can plug it in to a projector to do presentations? I forgot that that is probably useful for me too.

Sorry for the hijack!

Drac

Are netbooks able to show pdf files?

Yes install Adobe Reader and you’re sorted. It’s a computer just very basic.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tech idiot: What's the difference between a Notebook and a Laptop then?’ is closed to new replies.