Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • TBC Wednesday (14th) – pub night
  • druidh
    Free Member

AntM suggested a shandy stop for a change. We reckon that a fast blast out the WoL to Balerno and then up Exponential and the Red Road would give us time for a descent of The Swoop and a quick thirst-quencher in the Allan Ramsey before heading back over Xylophone and the Yellow Brick Road. This would have to be done fairly soon if we are to take advantage of the lighter evenings.

I'm publicising this one early so that you have time to make suitable arrangements 😀

All those in favour, say "Aye"!!!

AlasdairMc

Mibbes aye – off work that week so may be away.

I reckon the Kinleith or the Riccarton would make a nice finisher, by virtue of their beer garden, although the Kinleith has the better / least worst beer.

Northwind

Bit of a shame for the bairns eh? Ah well they can have a coca cola and a lolly

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Needs to be TJs "3 pubs loop"

WOL / Canal to Ratho bridge. Pint. Old railway to Hawes inn. Pint. Shore path to leith. Pint. Its a perfect ride – works out at the perfect ratio of ten miles per pint. This has been peer reviewed and its clear that this is the correct ratio, Decent ale and food available at each stop

coastkid
    Free Member

10 miles per pint…so its an 80 mile night then 😆
    i never have more than eight pints cycling as cant recognise kerbs after that amount… 😮

13thfloormonk

Beer and cycling? I haven't a hope in hell… 😀

Could be up for this.

Resin42
    Free Member

Why the hell not? I think I'm meant to be tapering or something that week anyway.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Is Xylophone the Borestane track?

debaser

Aye, sounds good, mine's a pint of the

Kit
    Free Member

That's a hell of a distance, no? I did that route (in reverse, plus a few bits) and it was 80km. You're talking at least 50km in 4hrs, with 20+ riders? Hmmm…

How about a Sunday ride with the same route in mind, then we can take our time over our pint(s) 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Wouldn't the Flotterstone be a better option for a night ride?

I've done the route mentioned earlier, but at the weekend and with a lunch stop in the Alan Ramsay. We didn't finish on Exponential though – we used the pipeline track after the Borestane then down the Nail Trail.

AntM
    Free Member

I reckon it's do-able. I'm out that way tomorrow and I'll time it 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Flotterstone would get my vote, puke hill then the sheep track (if that's what it's called?) to castle law, flotterstone for a few then back to bonaly way again by any route fancied.

Would we need to book? going by recent numbers! or, carry out on the top of harbour hill!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Carry out and barbecue at the top of Harbour Hill!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

even better Steve!

AntM
    Free Member

Went out and did the route this morning. 3 hours with some carding with my mate's bike. If we met at Belerno School at 7pm we could get round as long as if isn't a faff-festival. The trails were super dry today a d riding really well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

balerno school at 7 pm – 3 hr ride and a pint or two too much for me I guess – be midnightish afore I get home

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Anyone fancy it tommorrow where there are no time constraints?

kevonakona
    Free Member

Looks like a goer for me at last double bonus on the beer front as well.

Bivvy extension route?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Big dug – you mean a daytime ride?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Yeah, was thinking about heading over to the Pentlands tomorrow anyway.

AntM
    Free Member

A bivvy would be good…… 😆

ojom
    Free Member

Right then – what's the plan? What do people want to do?
    A ride to Flotterstone, neck 2-3 pints then back home?

druidh
    Free Member

TJs 3-pub idea sounds cool. Anyone else fancy that?

Meeting point would be the shoppe at 18:00-ish then on the aquaduct 18:45 at Slateford. I'd likely head back to Balerno from Davidsons Mains & the Roseburn Path.

jimmy

My suggestion (FWIW FTW); along the WoL to Bonally, turn right at bottom of Puke Hill to the land where I know no names round to the top of Maiden's and down either Scalectrix or White Hill trails to Bonally, back along WoL to the Dell for 2 – 7 pints.

Advantages;
    – Nice quick (?) ride for the sake of earning pints.
    – equi-distance between Balerno and City for dwellers of both getting back
    – minimal homeward riding after multi-jar session – my point being, riding after beers doesn't do it for me. I might be alone in this, but I'm used to drinking alone *sniff*

Disadvantages;
    – None whatsoever

Feel free to disagree.

ojom
    Free Member

Both ideas have merit.

What does the rider pool think?

debaser

as long as there are bikes, beer and talking bollocks I am quite happy with either 🙂

never ridden the path around the coast from queensferry back to crammond so that could be good, although I quite fancy a wee play on the white hill trails too.

AntM
    Free Member

I like the Jimmy plan. Good bit of riding and a fairly central pub. With allegedly good beer. P.S. Jimmy have you got my Ti mug?

Northwind

Won't be making this one, we're off to Innerleithen, sorry, Innerz.

laraichean

Don't forget you're all invited to join the Peebles and Tweed Valley brethren for our big Tweed trail love-in, week after next – from 24th. There's groups of folk going out from different spots just about every night that week. Quality goods assured. Nice beer too. website for info.

robgarrioch

Lousy work gettin in the way of my social life… Hopefully, longer hours & Glasgow-based site won't mean missing too many other rides.

(p.s. the Spylaw Tavern in (lower) Colinton's no bad)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Needs to be TJs "3 pubs loop"

WOL / Canal to Ratho bridge. Pint. Old railway to Hawes inn. Pint. Shore path to leith. Pint. Its a perfect ride – works out at the perfect ratio of ten miles per pint. This has been peer reviewed and its clear that this is the correct ratio, Decent ale and food available at each stop

????

cynic-al
    Free Member

30 miles and 3 pints on an evening?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The third pub is next door to my house. 🙂 Its 30 flat and easy miles. takes under 3 hrs to ride

cynic-al
    Free Member

Flat? Not for me.

druidh
    Free Member

Dammit. We'll go with jimmys suggestion this time around. I like the idea of the 3 pub loop though and this will be resurrected in a few weeks with more advance notice.

So – normal meeting place(s) and time(s)!

Shop – 18:00
    Bonaly newsagent – 19:00

BRING MONEY – AND LIGHTS!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I,m quite content to do as jimmy suggested above as well.

Kit
    Free Member

blah blah blah work work work blah blah blah. Have one for me, someone.

stanfree
    Free Member

As Bannatyne would say "Im Out" as working to 7,45. Next week camping at Arrochar then following week a wee trip to London . So I will be back puffing and wheezing (nothing new there) in 3 weeks time.

Enjoy.!

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Lookin’ oot the windae I am tempted to suggest an alternative route. Leave shop, cycle uphill, turn left in to Cask and Barrel.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘TBC Wednesday (14th) – pub night’ is closed to new replies.