Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tandem stokers……..
  • Bunnyhop

Yesterday we did some pretty rocky trails, some of which had dropoffs and water bars etc.

Now on the steeper stuff I felt (as stoker) that the only thing keeping me on the bike were my cleats. Was fine on the climbs though.

Any advice please.

The Captain said I was freezing up – Yep, was clinging on for dear life and it just felt like one big white knuckle ride on the descents.

MrSparkle

My twopenneth…
    As a fairly inexperienced Captain on the Tandem of Doom I’d say there was a lack of communication going on. You need to know what’s coming up so you can react/brace yourself/scream/bale out etc.

singlespeedstu

Try and relax and keep your head and body as low as you can on descents.

Your captain needs to tell you what’s happening too.

It’s all about working as a pair and trying not to fight agains each other.
    It still takes us a while to get the working together thing if we’ve not been out on our for a few weeks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The first rule or tandem captaining is ” the stokers comfort is paramount!” The second rule is remember the first rule

Maybe drop the seat. get your weight back, heels down, bend your knees and elbows, relax?

The captain needs to call out whats happening. We have ridden a lot now and less is needed but I will still call “bump” for going up a step “jump” for going down a step “gears” for a big handful of gears especailly changing down and always for a front shift

The captain needs to not attempt to move the bike around under him – it needs to be ridden smoothly and you both keep hips and shoulders over the centre line – this makes the stoker feel more stable

Have a try in the other seat each – even if only for a bit on easy ground – it gives a good understanding of what is going on

I wonder if its a bit much too soon and thus you are tensing up too much.

singlespeedstu

The first rule or tandem captaining is ” the stokers comfort is paramount!don’t tell the stoker how steep the descent is”

If they can’t see it it won’t hurt them. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I get kidney punched if I do that

Bunnyhop

nbt was the captain and very vocal. I think the problem is me. We need more practise.

I will lower the saddle next time, as I normally do on those kind of descents when riding solo.

Did enjoy it though and loads of other mtbers were out yesterday having a giggle with us.

Thanks chaps.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Nice to see you both yesterday, I thought that you looked remarkably at home Bunnyhop.

Embarassed to say that in all the excitement I did a little dab climbing out of Brook Bottom …whereas you two didn’t! Obviously the loooong wheelbase must help somewhat 😕

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

As a pilot for some years, though not on anything rougher than an unsurfaced cycle path (a reluctant off road stoker who was happy and very competent to do anything on road), I second the ability for the stoker to see round if possible, to be aware of what is coming and to relax.

There was a picture on a forum a while ago of a tandem going over a fairly hairy drop. Someone then revealed that the stoker was blind so the ultimate in teamwork there, but how would you know what you were going to land on during the inevitable fall we all have? Much admiration.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did enjoy it though

Teh only thing that matters

allthepies
    Free Member

There’s a tandem stroker on here if that helps ?

😉

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Aye, been a stoker when the captain decided to try do skids round some corners. Properly scary. Dinnae trust your pissed mate to ride on the front of a tandem

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tandem stokers……..’ is closed to new replies.