Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tall Boy – anyone got one?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

and what d’ya think?

Clink

Have you not just got a new bike?! 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Can’t have too many new bikes – you got your latest yet?

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a furniture thread

shortcut

Like this?

skiboy
    Free Member

hehe 😀

glynP
    Free Member

wecould do you a good deal if you fancy one

gothandy

Why you asking? I noticed MBR have one on long term review.

bonesetter
    Free Member

MBR’s was stolen

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nazi’s weren’t keen on them.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

May not be the right end of the country for you but ring Dave at Bothy Bikes in Aviemore – he’s been running one as his own bike/demo bike for almost a year. Always willing to talk a good deal as well

gothandy

bonesetter I thought it was the Saracen that got nicked? Anyway what you looking for a tallboy for?

bonesetter
    Free Member

gothandy – Member

bonesetter I thought it was the Saracen that got nicked? Anyway what you looking for a tallboy for? General riding

Metasequoia

Well I really like mine, looks way heavier than it is, descends very well, climbs even better. Very stiff. Mines set up in all-day mode, with Forks at 120mm. Sizing is slightly strange to get sufficient reach I had to go to XXL, normally I’m XL, with a 90mm stem.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The shock and rotors look properly diddy on that.

daveells
    Free Member

I have one in a large you are welcome to ride .Am in the wyre most weekends.Could be expensive though ,because you WILL want one 😀

Metasequoia

Tis a big bike- but ‘short’ wheel base for it’s size. The photo angle seems make it look bigger than it looks in reality. Oh and I’ll add you will want one 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

This is all great news… my current FS is a 29er Stumpy with brain. I rate the overall performance, but the shock has blown its seals and that means a £95 Spesh dealer service. There is a light nick on the shaft which the dealer said could mean new shock and brain – £350. Kinda deflates the stoke. Plus I think the TB could well be the better ride.

daveells – I may well take you up on your kind offer

pete68
    Free Member

Hi ,I have one as well in large. It s very nice but so far wouldn’t say exceptional. Mines pretty light (25lb ish) and is very stiff. It’s climbing ability on loose stuff is great, you really keep going where you’d normally be off and walking. The only downside for me is the wheel weight when accelerating,but thats nothing to do with the bike but 29er wheels in general. Most of my riding so far has been in muddy conditions uthough so waiting to see how it goes in faster conditions. Again you’re welcome to a test ride. I’m in berkshire if youre interested.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer.

Are you running tubeless?

The muddy conditions are making progress slow – bit like wading through treacle sometimes

I went out yesterday and conditions were best for a while with some old mud frozen which lightened and speeded things up

gothandy

pete68 what tyres are you running? I found the 2.2 Kenda Small Block 8’s (it came fitted with) in the summer made mine scream along, and lack of nobbly stuff didn’t cause a problem at all, even in light rain they had good grip. In the winter I’ve gone for skinny Mud-X tubeless and haven’t found a massive speed difference, highly recommend them used them to good effect on the SPAM winter challenge (a recognised mud fest).

As a comparison I’ve also got some 2.4 Mountain Kings that are great when it gets rocky/technical but my goodness do they slow things down.

slowrider
    Free Member

Can I just ask, if you were to put the tallboy in a ‘niche’ where would it fit best? Xc, trail, boom gnarly trail, all mountain etc…

I only ask cos I’m after a new bike and dont want to dismiss 29ers entirely but I get the impression they are more xc than aggro?

pete68
    Free Member

going to try some lighter treaded tyres to see how much difference that makes. my local trails are very muddy at the mo and i’m not at my fittest either(!) so waiting for better conditions to see it in its best light.As for what niche to put it in i’d say xc/trail for the handling but the extra smothness does mean you handle more than you may thnk.

the_lecht_rocks

new Nicolai Helius AC 29’er also looks interesting.

Gravity Sports have just built up their demo bike – Will be having a go this weekend I think……… 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Other one to look at is the Salsa FS Weighs almost the same as Tall B

MrTall
    Free Member

Thought the Spesh was a keeper Nige???

TallBoys are nice but by god they ain’t cheap…….

Salsa’s on the other hand are ace…….. 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

I had lost faith in the Stumpy when I was looking at replacing the shock and brain for £300 – otherwise very happy with it…

Spesh dealer sent the shock back and Spsh replaced almost everything on/in it as a goodwill – for all intents it’s a brand new shock – mightily impressed, so I’m feeling the love again now: Great bike, yes a keeper

The TB, or the spearfish is a bit too race orientated for my liking, not really slack enough, and sooo long chainstays 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tall Boy – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.