Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Talk to the face (vent content)
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

Those looking for air exchange media can look away now. Sorry for wasting your time.

So Took a large group of kids out for a weekend in the hills followed all the school and DofE procedures even put in one or two of my own. They kids did a went through a "training" course. Which meant me giving talks and going through things for 1.5 hours each week from Oct-Easter. Wouldn't feel comfortable taking them if i didn't know they had some basic knowledge.
    So i was confident that those on practice expeditions had maps routecards and could cope with with the days walking and camping. I have a papertrail of everything they have done.

The adults all either were experienced hillwalkers or were teamed with someone with experience AND had been on nav/supervisor courses and they were all teachers (is that Project biting at the bit?) and also had been briefed about what they were to do. When asked if they had any comments or ways to improve (see reflective practitioner), nothing.

So why am i having a sit down meeting with the boss and senior management team about grave concerns. If i've done bad then i'll raise my hand and take the flak but at least have the guts to tell me. Oh and remember the point when i said any questions and you didn't (SMEAC).

allthepies
    Free Member

The blindfold Yeti wrestling and base jumping modules were a bit OTT IMO.

hels
    Free Member

Because some people are just w*****s ? That would be my diagnosis. Smile nicely and don't let them get to you.

TooTall
    Free Member

grave concerns

Were they too shallow?

Drac

So why am i having a sit down meeting with the boss and senior management team about grave concerns.

Because, if your going to bury the fat kid on the moors then let them sink into the bog and don't mark the place with a cross made out of old fence rails. Apparently. 😐

project
    Free Member

You took them to see the POPE.
    😆

Sadly though from what youve put down you seem to have done everything by the book, perhaps too by the book and not allowed small things to go wrong.

Also from how i see it you got the kids outside as a group,enjoying the fresh air, with supervision, and just hopefully the bug will hit them and they in the future will want to get out more, and possibly in the future try to do the same for their children or students.

Sincere apologies for not being negative.

If the senior management want to argue mention redundancies of useless senior management who probably dont know one end of a kid from the next, and hopefully their name will be top of the list.

rOcKeTdOg

"grave concerns" = probably means,what if it rains, little johnny/jill will get wet and maybe develop a bit of a sniffle

just get a container load of cotton wool to wrap the kids in (leave breathing room!!) and all will be well *

*can you get waterproof cottonwool?

kevonakona
    Free Member

One mother did mention that her 17 year old son had got a bit of sunburn and could i make sure that, in future, he applies suntan lotion.

Honestly that kid is goning to get pelters next time i see him.

scaredypants

did you run "dogging 101" ?

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like a reflection of modern times. Health & Safety etc. have gone utterly ridiculous.
    MrsDezB is a college lecturer, at least that's what we thought she was. Turns out she's some kind of carer. Has to have discussions at term time regarding the "special needs" of most of the students in her class – one of which has to have a "lie down" occasionally, when they get a bit "tired and stressed". FFS.

BigJohn

They're allowed to have grave concerns. It's quite right that they do.

Fortunately you seem to have done everything to allay those fears.

What's SMEAC? See me after class? Or Situation, Mission etc.

oddjob
    Free Member

Sounds like your doing a good thing that many treachers can't be arsed to do since all the red tape was put in the way.

I think it is a travesty that kids are prevented from doing anything with even a hint of risk involved these days. If you can't learn about managing risk when you are young, how are you supposed to actually deal with it when it arrises in the real world? 🙄

Diane
    Free Member

FFS! Why don't we all just stay indoors . Keep up the good work Kev x

TooTall
    Free Member

Who has grave concerns and where do they come from? Other teachers? Parents? The kids?

theotherjonv

sounds to me like the expedition has happened, something went wrong (hopefully not badly) and now Kev's colleagues are lining up to avoid any flak falling on them by suggesting that they had had concerns beforehand.

If that is a fair summation…..

BUNCH OF SNIVELLING ****

particularly if they have had months of preparation and training and haven't 'expressed their concerns' beforehand, they are equally if not more to 'blame' than Kev (I use the word in absence of finding the proper one, because without knowing details I can't see whay anyone should be blamed for anything)

To Kev: if there are constructive criticisms to take, then take them. We all learn from experiences / mistakes. eg: the sunscreen kid; I think it's fair that a 17yo should be capable of applying his own sunscreen and his mum should have suggested that to him, but take it on board and add it to the 'to do' list next time (remind them all it is hot and they need sunscreen, for example). But PLEASE don't let this stop you from the valuable work and learning experiences that I am imagining you provide.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

one of which has to have a "lie down" occasionally, when they get a bit "tired and stressed"

I just used to fall asleep in lectures. I never asked permission to do so!

yossarian
    Free Member

I work in the educaton sector in H & S

as long as you've covered the principles here – http://www.hse.gov.uk/schooltrips/index.htm

then you will be fine

'grave concerns' is usually senior management bullsh!t for 'we want to know a bit more about stuff that happened and want to seem switched on and very important'

I take it they signed off the trip, including the RA's etc?

wwaswas

agree with yossarian – as long as all the risk assessments were in place and if somethign they covered happened and you acted appropriately you'll be fine.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The blindfold Yeti wrestling

I was always going to complain to your managers, wasn't I!

I mean, come on, if I could've seen them I'd only have bitten the fat ones!

Now I've got dentist bills, and…….

project
    Free Member

UPDATE REQUIRED PLEASE…………………

duckman

Kev, been there with the DoE as well,on the odd time somebody has sprained an ankle/grazed an elbow.Senior management,sorry School leadership team, will be wanting to ensure that any actual work they may have to do involving the DoE that they use as an example of citizenshit and life-long learning is delegated to you.As long as you sort of sniff about not wanting to take the risk again,watch the support for the wonderful job you do grow.Good luck

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Talk to the face (vent content)’ is closed to new replies.