• This topic has 42 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IanB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • talk to me abot multi tools…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

i need one. needs to be fairly robust and versatile. long all day, away from town rides…..

allyharp

ac282 +1

Got everything I need, even tyre levers, and I find the chain tool excellent – far better than any of the ones I have in my main toolbox!

Also cheap compared to many.

alpin
    Free Member

from CRC…

Hummer

Hexus

have they got thsat mixed up?

mefty
    Free Member

+1 for Hexus (used to be called Hummer, they had to change the name)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a topeak alien – its an old one but it does everything I need including a good chain tool. Used for ten years and its still fine.

mefty
    Free Member

Probably because of the Eddie Bauer Hummer pictured by CRC

trail_rat
    Free Member

sks toolbox travel here

atlaz
    Free Member

I've got some cheapo no-brand one, a topeak one and a slightly more bling crank bros one. All work more or less the same.

Northwind

Topeak Hexus for me, Lezyne are better made but Topeak have the best chaintools and the Hexus is so nice to use. It does everything well enough and some things very well. Oh, except the tyre levers aren't very good but then they never are. It does lack a knife though, that would be useful.

I did have an Alien 2 but it was bulky and a bit more awkward to use, I didn't really get on with it and half of the extra tools are useless to me since they have no application on any of my bikes. I can see they could be more useful if you need to build a climbing frame mid-ride 😉 (or, if you ride an older bike or a tourer or you use racks or any number of other things that people do)

flyingfox
    Free Member

Lezyne. Really well made and sell all day because of this, their value for money and even the distributor's nice, which makes a change.

bullheart
    Free Member

This is a bargain – just got one myself and its very good!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyne_Loaded_Smart_Pack_2_Litre_Hydration_System/5360046484/

Pump (£17) levers, Multitool (£15+), 2l Hydration pack and room for a netbook for £31! Mental…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hexus gets my vote as a trail tool as well.

Park folders as my home workshop tools, but the Hexus really does have everything you might need for trailside repairs, even including a disc rotor sized hex key.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've always used a cheap allen key multitool, a cyclo chain tool, and park tyre levers.

I don't think I've seen a review of a multitool that doesn't include criticism of the inbuilt chain tool, or the included tyre levers, so have always stuck with the basics instead. Obviously got two sets, one live in my camelbak, one lives in a small seatpack that gets swapped between the roadbikes.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    bassspine
    Free Member

missingfrontallobe +1

I don't think I've seen a review of a multitool that doesn't include criticism of the inbuilt chain tool, or the included tyre levers, so have always stuck with the basics instead.

seperates all the way, the multitool is a lovely thing, like a Transformer (robots in disguise) but not actually as practical in real life use as individual tools

Park allen key tool, chain brute and some levers.

br1zz
    Free Member

Can anybody recomend a tool with piers built in ? I have to carry a set from my home tool box on top of everything else just in case I need to open the powerlink on my chain.

EDIT : Ooops…that's pLiers, not a french bike mechanic hiding in a multitool !

alpin
    Free Member

i just can't see i'll get much use out of half the bit on that alien….

anyone have any experience of Soma tools? i like the wood. plus the tyre levers on the Hexus are said to be pants.

chakaping
    Free Member

Petesgaff – How big and heavy is that bag?

I have the bigger Lezyne Power Pack backpack and could do with something smaller for short rides.

Looks a right bargain.

ddmonkey

+1 for Topeak Alien, had mine for years and its still mint. Very good chain tool on it.

kiwijohn

Crank Bos 17 + a Leatherman Skeletool. Sorted.
    The chain breaker on the CB17 is excellent as well, it won't push the pin all the way out.

ratadog

Hexus/hummer – keep coming back to one of these.

br
    Free Member

Crank Bros 10, decently long keys etc.
    Park chain tool.
    Gerber multi-pliers.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

For £30 they have the 3l version of that bag as well, I've just ordered one….

hilldodger
    Free Member

Multitool = boytoy

proper allenkeys/chain tool/torx key much better IMO and weigh less to boot…..

stevede
    Free Member

Another vote for the topeak alien, mine has done a decade of service too and still good as new.
    Another one worth looking at from a speed point of view is the topeak ratchet rocket (think lifeline do a cheaper rip off of this on wiggle), wouldn't do on big rides as your only option but is a bloody handy addition to any pack.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I've got a soma woodie (ooer).Nice looking but quite small and a little flexy so not great for leverage. Recently got a Lezyne CRV19, top build quality and very solid.

Northwind

I think Lezyne make the nicest stuff, of the major brands anyway, lovely. But the tools don't seem to be as well thought our as the Hexus, I guess Topeak have been making it and evolving it forever so they've had more time to get it right. If Lezyne made the Hexus it'd be the best tool in the world, probably.

pid
    Free Member

I have two smaller Soma onea – wood is very nice and hasn't gone all tatty. Hex keys seem to be tough and haven't rounded any bolts. Recommended (unless you put them down and wander off, because you'll never find it again).

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

happy with my soma woody too, bit of surface rust on the tools, but nowt bad. nice thing about it is that the joining pins have never come loose on mine, unlike on previous tools – so nice not to have it all wobbly or too stiff.

recommended.

sambob
    Free Member

crank brothers 10 for me, looks great, tough and 10 year warranty i think 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

@Br1zz Pliers = leatherman tool doesn't it, but they don't have allen key tools on, only screwdrivers I think.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you need to open a powerlink on a ride, and can't you open it by hand anyway?

trail_rat
    Free Member

proper allenkeys/chain tool/torx key much better IMO and weigh less to boot…..

fail….
    what multitools have you been using that are that heavy ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All I carry is the topeak alien. It has everthing I need on it and little that I don't. It is lighter (at a guess) than carrying separate tools and is certainly more convenient.

br1zz
    Free Member

missingfrontallobe
    OK, I can't think of a good reason to be undoing a powerlink on a ride…except, if I start thinking about NOT being able to undo it I'll worry about it constantly and it will spoil every ride I ever go on. Maybe.
    Or…I'll discover why I need to undo one when I really need to undo one in a hurry in the middle of nowhere…hmmm…I think I might need to start worrying about this possibility too.

TBH I just like the idea of carrying enough stuff to cope with every eventuality, but doing so with the minimum amount of kit.

Oh and if you know the knack of how to undo a powerlink with your hands please pass it on – I must be doing something wrong because it's like trying to push a piece of string !

I am thinking about getting a trailer, that way I can just take my stand and toolbox with me. Could even fit in a stereo and some beer…just like fixing stuff at home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and if you know the knack of how to undo a powerlink with your hands please pass it on – I must be doing something wrong because it's like trying to push a piece of string !

i would tell you but id have to kill you ….

reality – i could explain to you till your blue in the face the knack BUT unless i showed you and taught you youd never get it !

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have a leyzene after my topeak rusted to buggery and my cheapy no name rattled itself apart and I couldn't find all the bits.

The philips screwdriver dosn't actually fit any of the philips head screws on my mechs and it dosn't include an allen key the right size for my Oro lever adjustment bolts. Not impressed. Beautifully made, but not as well thought out as it could be.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

br1zz -Oh and if you know the knack of how to undo a powerlink with your hands please pass it on – I must be doing something wrong because it's like trying to push a piece of string !

Ever since I've used them I've been able to undo powerlinks by hand, I know that a common theme on forums is how to do so, I couldn't instructions how, I just can – and it isn't a strength thing, I wouldn't say I have particularly strong hands, it's just a knack I've acquired.

The need to remove a chain mid-ride can be required due to severe chain suck, BTW. Had that happen once.

br1zz
    Free Member

Damn!

What if that happens to me ?!

I think it would be best if I avoid cycling altogether.

Anything I should know about walking places ?

chakaping
    Free Member

The Alien doesn't have a 2.5m allen key, IIRC.

This is the size of the bolt holding the bottom jocky wheel in X9 mechs – and they tend to seize up quite a lot.

I've had to depend on others having the right size allen key before, until I remembered the pull-out rebound adjuster in my RS forks was the right size.

Not sure why I bothered typing this, but I know I was quite pleased with myself when I realised.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘talk to me abot multi tools…..’ is closed to new replies.