Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)
  • Taking a 4 month old on a flight
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’m clearly an incredibly selfish <swear filter avoidance>

poor baby is probably scared <swear filter avoidance>

flights are getting as bad as dorms in hostels 🙁

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Crying babies on flights can be annoying? Of course! But as a father I understand. Doesn’t bother me.

I agree with the comment about walking about. The parents of said child will not be comfortable either so walking about seems to calm them. Certainly works for the parents on the long haul flights I do for work.

geoffj

We took Junior 1 to the canaries form Glasgow when he was 7 months old. Despite the flight being full on the way out, it was pretty painless.
    Good advice from mrs F about feeding on take off and landing – allows their ears to pop with the pressure changes.

Be careful about trying to book extra seats. I once did this for a Ryanair flight. Turned up at the airport and was told it wasn’t allowed and was refunded there and then. If you fly easyjet, just plonk the car seat in the middle seat with parents either side – no one is going to stop you unless the flight is completely full.

It will get more difficult as they get older – enjoy it now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

It depends on the baby. Lil Grips has had her own seat since the age of 1 because she was just too big to hold and wanted to be exploring all the stimulating things around.

To those who are whining about screaming babies – spare a thought for the poor parents. They probably thought their kid would be ok and gambled so that they could take he/she to see its family on the other side of the world.

I’ve never experienced a baby screaming continuously on a flight, but I have seen a lot of anxious parents taking great pains to stop their baby annoying the other passengers. Even if it means 8 hours of singing songs, walking up and down the aisle, playing, reading books overnight so doing without any sleep, then having to drive three hours through morning rush hour traffic when you land…..

Re airlines – whether or not you get a bassinet or even a lap belt depends on the airline. American give you a big fat bugger all, including not giving you any baby food or even food outside the normal serving time because your kid was FINALLY asleep when the food came and is now hungry because you forgot baby food.. BA on the other hand give you bassinets and baby food and all, and fall over backwards to help you out.

NZCol

Are you allowed babies in Business ? I ask because i was flying backwards and forwards UK/USA/NZ last year in business mainly and on two trips had young kids (3-5) rattling around in business which, and i know this sounds a bit rough, annoyed a few people. I wasn’t that fussed but it got me thinking what would happen if someone turned up with a screaming baby in Business or First ? I’d assume if they can afford it then they can. I’d be somewhat disturbed to have a long flight with no sleep and then need to work – the reason i fly in bc anyway !

As you were.

boblo
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    Anyone who moans about the presence of a kid is a see you next tuesday, full weight.

Or anyone who expects everyone else to put up with their adorable brat whilst stuck in an enclosed environment for hours on end is a see you next etc….

Just because you’re all loved up with your latest efforts doesn’t mean the rest of the world shares your enthusiasm.

Good for you, you’ve produced. Just don’t inflict its output (in various forms) on everyone else and expect (insist?) them to show the tolerance you think you are ‘owed’.

Bloody new parents, tsssk.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Unreal !.

You have children, presumably, that was your choice.

How do you think that your lifestyle choice to become a parent, should be an acceptable inconvinience to everyone else around you ?.
    WTF ??.

Toys19. You’re the idiot mate, not everyone else.

You and your screaming off-spring will annoy the daylights out of everyone around you, everywhere you go.

But you don’t care, you need a break and some sunshine and to hell with anyone you happen to upset while you drag your family around with you.

I struggle to think of anything more selfish and ignorant than parents who drag their young and unhappy children around on public transport, to satisfy their need to get away from it all.

I dont blame the kids, their young and have no idea of what its like.
    But the parents, they know and don’t care.
    Its “Me first and to hell with everyone else”.

Truely ignorant !.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1.

The one “see you next tues” on here seems to be toys with his I’m alright Jack mentality.

uplink
    Free Member

Are you allowed babies in Business

We came back from Hong Kong a few years ago with our 3 [1, 3 & 5] in business
    There were a few mutterings when we boarded & I heard the odd remark during the flight
    The kids were reasonably quiet most of the time & slept a lot so I don’t think anyone had any valid complaints about it.

toys19
    Free Member

Ooooooh three in a row, gosh. Well boys you’ve revealed yourselves. We know who to avoid in future. Unfortunately for you, taking kids on planes is something the airline industry disagree’s with you about. So I’ll see you in cattle class, bring your earplugs. Ha ha.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

So I’ll see you in cattle class, bring your earplugs. Ha ha

I feel so sorry for your children having you as one of their parents.
    You’re doing a pretty good job here of letting your wife/husband down too, with posts like that.

But you’re too ignorant to see it.

In your case, I totally agree with Allthepies.
    😕

boblo
    Free Member

More evidence of what a selfish twit you are. Are you Surf Matt in disguise?

I don’t fly with you brat spawning plebs preferring to spend my time and money down the pointy end. Fortunately, the idiots there seem to be business men with inflated ideas of self worth rather than spawn bearing, selfish imbeciles. Enjoy yourself with the cattle…

Not nice is it (pointless insults)?

allthepies
    Free Member

We know who to avoid in future.

PLEASE do, thanks 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Oh dear, you’ll have to try harder than that.

mogrim

To the OP: it’ll be fine, it’s only a short flight. We took out (then) 2 month old baby from Madrid to London, your flight’s not that much longer. They’re easy at that age, when they’re 15 months it’s a lot harder as they don’t get a seat, they weigh far too much to be sitting on your lap all flight, and they get bored easily.
    Take a bottle with water or milk in it for the landing, it’ll help with the ears.

To those complaining about babies on flights: tough. Sorry, that’s how it is. I fully understand that it’s not a pleasant way to spend your time, listening to a baby crying, but suggesting that noone should be allowed on a plane until they’re responsible enough is ridiculous. Like TJ says, take earplugs.
    When I’ve flown with the kids I do all I can to stop them bothering other people – walking up and down the aisles, making sure they have lots of things to entertain them, etc. But at the end of the day small kids cry, and sometimes there’s not a lot anyone can do about it.

boblo
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    <snip>
    To those complaining about babies on flights: tough. Sorry, that’s how it is. I fully understand that it’s not a pleasant way to spend your time, listening to a baby crying, but suggesting that noone should be allowed on a plane until they’re responsible enough is ridiculous. Like TJ says, take earplugs.

Not sure about the suggestion that noone flies…

My point was that you (parents) have no automatic right to expect other passengers to share your enthusiasm for your progeny and calling people a filthy name for female genitalia if they don’t, does not further your cause.

Consideration is a two way street.

uplink
    Free Member

Screaming kids on planes are a bit like the weather

You can do your best to avoid the worst of it but sometimes it comes along just when you don’t want it
    All you can do is make the most of it & wait till it’s over

DrJ

People with kids should be banned from air travel.
    Also fat people.
    Also people who talk loudly.
    Also people that have bad eating manners.
    Also people that look a bit strange.
    Also … anyone left on the plane now?

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Molgrips. I’m not sure you’ve read my initial post.

When I’ve flown with the kids I do all I can to stop them bothering other people – walking up and down the aisles, making sure they have lots of things to entertain them, etc

Well, that is commendable, and its good to see a grown up on here, and that they at least try not to upset the surrounding folk.

But
    and sometimes there’s not a lot anyone can do about it

Perhaps, do not fly ?.

I would have thought that foregoing air travel for 5-6 years after the birth of the child, was all part of the sacrifice you make when you are lucky enough to become a parent, no ?.

toys19
    Free Member

Boblo, offence is something you choose to take, and you have chosen to be offended and conveniently ignored the tissue of my posts. Whilst my initial statement was general. I went on to clarify that it was aimed at those who harangue parents on flights. Something I’ve seen and it can get quite awful. As I explicitly stated if you don’t like it then you should complain to the airline, or express your opinion here, which quite frankly is your right and I don’t expect you to agree with me. I just think anyone who has a go at a parent with screaming kids on a flight is a specified part of the female genitalia, full weight. I hope that clarifies it for you.

DrJ

But
    “and sometimes there’s not a lot anyone can do about it”

Perhaps, do not fly ?.

Why? To avoid “inconvenience” to people like you? That’s the way life is, mate, we are born into a species whose all of whose members we may not like. Tough luck. Maybe you should stay indoors to avoid inconveniencing people with your ugly face and your uglier ideas?

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Actually, what Boblo said ^^

uplink
    Free Member

But

Perhaps, do not fly ?.

I would have thought that foregoing air travel for 5-6 years after the birth of the child, was all part of the sacrifice you make when you are lucky enough to become a parent, no ?.

Shouldn’t you be lobbying the airlines?
    After all parents are only doing what the airlines are allowing them to do

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Dr_J.

Actually, I do try to avoid getting into situations where I might be within painful ear-shot of unhappy children on a transport.

But as Boblo says. what on earth gives parents the right to demand that everyone around them tolerate their children, just so they can go on holiday.

As for ugly faces, etc. Well, as I posted earlier, posting like that only lets you down mate.
    Have a good weekend.
    😉

mogrim

But

Perhaps, do not fly ?.

My parents live in England (and I’m in Spain), my grandmother is too old to fly, but I ought to wait til my kids are old enough just in case? I know people who’ve cancelled flights because their kids have ear infections and will be screaming all flight, most parents that I know wouldn’t knowingly get on a plane thinking that their kids are going to be a pain. I fully understand that you’d get annoyed and I’d expect to be given filthy looks, but that’s life.

mogrim

But as Boblo says. what on earth gives parents the right to demand that everyone around them tolerate their children, just so they can go on holiday.

Because having children is a necessary part of maintaining a society, and it’s therefore reasonable to demand a little toleration of the differences between a child and an adult?

DrJ

Actually, what Boblo said ^^

You mean where he said:

Not sure about the suggestion that noone flies…

?

Is that what you meant when you said

Perhaps, do not fly ?.

??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys – how many posters missed your point?

Which was if I can understand it – that once the child is screaming on the plane there is no point in haranguing the parents – it won’t help – having a child scream is not a deliberate act.

Now I hate badly trained children worse than I hate badly trained dogs – but kicking children gets you in nearly as much trouble as kicking dogs. However a childs bite is rarely as painful.

I never get on a plane or long distance train without a set of earplugs

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm, thank you Toys. I’m not offended by your posts, I just find your attitude breathtakingly selfish.

I’ve flown with kids (my own and other peoples), people that smell, are fat, are pissed, are loud, eat like pigs and those that look a bit funny (me included). I don’t complain (unlike the 6 Hasidic Jews that refused to sit near the passenger next to me an a long flight from Chile just, gasp, because she was FEMALE – they were almost deplaned).

You need to remember, you have no right to expect others to enjoy your childs output the same as you have no right to play your music via your mobile at full volume and expect them to enjoy that as well. You’ve made your choice, just don’t inflict it on everyone else and expect a round of applause.

BTW, nappy changing at the fold down cots is also a practice employed by some parents exercising their ‘rights’ and is both vile and disgusting. Better not raise an eyebrow thought you see you next etc.

zokes
    Free Member

Boblo, offence is something you choose to take, and you have chosen to be offended and conveniently ignored the tissue of my posts

You are of course quite correct. Although I thought the whole reason to call someone a <female genitalia> was to insult them: ergo, you were being insulting.

This is pretty well backed up by your attitude, as highlighted by others.

Seeing as I now live in Oz, and family are at home, I would assume that at some point, I’ll be on the other end of this; and for flights where visiting family are concerned, I can’t really see a way around it. But for simple family holidays, why would you want to put your child through it? No wonder they scream their brains out with the engine noise, strange environment and pressure exploding their little heads, with no comprehension as to why it’s happening.

As for the bassinets, they’re great some of the time, but most of the noise from kids of the long haul flights I’ve been on has stemmed from turbulence meaning fasten seatbelts – leaving poor little Johnny to be rudely awoken and plonked on his mum’s lap. Now I get fairly ratty when woken to put my seat belt on (even when it’s on), so I can fully empathise with the somewhat narked babies yanked out of their beds.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Uplink.

Shouldn’t you be lobbying the airlines?
    After all parents are only doing what the airlines are allowing them to do

As you well know, that would be a futile exercise.

Anyway, you’re missing my point. Why is it so unfashionable for people to be considerate ?.
    If / when I’m blessed with the gift of children, I will not be subjecting them to hours of flying and other passengers to hours of noise, screaming, etc.
    I will be blissfully happy to make it easier on everyone involved by not going to the airport, not sitting for hours on a plane and not going around another country trying to holiday with unhappy children.

Is loading up the family car and renting a cottage somewhere in the UK, just for a few years, so terrible ?.

Oops: I seem to have posted to Molgrips when I ment to write Mogrim.
    Apologies to both. 😳

mogrim

Now I hate badly trained children worse than I hate badly trained dogs – but kicking children gets you in nearly as much trouble as kicking dogs. However a childs bite is rarely as painful.

😆

BTW, nappy changing at the fold down cots is also a practice employed by some parents exercising their ‘rights’ and is both vile and disgusting.

Now that really is just trolling.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Zokes.

Good points and well put !.
    😉

boblo
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

BTW, nappy changing at the fold down cots is also a practice employed by some parents exercising their ‘rights’ and is both vile and disgusting.

Now that really is just trolling.

Been there, seen it, got the (dirty) tee shirt. <sigh>

mogrim – Member

Because having children is a necessary part of maintaining a society, and it’s therefore reasonable to demand a little toleration of the differences between a child and an adult?

And going on holiday whilst ‘demanding tolerance’ is a ‘necessary part of maintaining a society’ is it?

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Mogrim.

I see that you’re out for a flame-off, but I fear you may be on shakey ground.

Children are a choice.

Taking children onto a plane to go on holiday, is a choice.

While I admire TJs patience, I fail to understand why parents demand and expect me, TJ, whoever, to put with it.

Because having children is a necessary part of maintaining a society was my choice, and it’s therefore unreasonable and selfish of me to demand and expect other a little toleration of the differences between a child and an adult people to put up with my children so I can have a break.

There, fixed that for you 🙂

Also, you now live so far from some of your family that you really only want to fly to go see them.
    I don’t recall making you move to Spain.
    It wasn’t me, you did it.
    Thats your problem, why make it mine ?.
    😉

EDIT: And going on holiday whilst ‘demanding tolerance’ is a ‘necessary part of maintaining a society’ is it?

Exactly !.

uplink
    Free Member

Children are a choice.

You getting on the plane is also a choice

DrJ

While I admire TJs patience, I fail to understand why parents demand and expect me, TJ, whoever, to put with it.

Same reason that I expect people to put up with looking at my ugly face and bad dress sense when I go out in public. That’s who I am/we are. That’s the way we were made. If you don’t like your fellow human beings, better stay home and not use public transport.

retro83
    Free Member

uplink – Member

But it is not a choice which inconveniences others (unless you are a fatto or smell of poo) 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Children are a choice.

And you should be able to exercise it without fear or favour… You should reasonably expect an environment that is safe, comfortable, clean etc. Not littered with parents ‘demanding’ tolerance for little Johny’s latest indiscretion.

I’m very happy to choose to tolerate, I strongly object to being told to be tolerant (oh the irony).

uplink
    Free Member

But it is not a choice which inconveniences others

oh, I dunno
    I was sat next to a fella coming back from Frankfurt on Wednesday, who snored loudly the whole way back
    I gave him a few digs & he stopped, only to start again minutes later

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Taking a 4 month old on a flight’ is closed to new replies.