Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Tags in topics
  • compositepro
    Free Member

What is their purpose in topics.? After chuckling at the engineers thread I was wondering why people didn’t just say…what they are thinking in the thread

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cowardice. jolly well have not even got the guts to say owt in a thread, under their login name, so hide behind the anonymity of the tags.

Can’t really see the point of them as they’re abused so much. About time they were scrapped.

druidh
    Free Member

The tags were originally used to derive a Tag Cloud so you could see what was topical on the forum. However, the stats were never reset so it was always HOPE 🙂

They’ve now become a wee bit of an in-joke. Often abused, but also frequently amusing!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Elfin. What the **** has anyone got to be frightened of. It’s the Internet. Nobody knows where to find you. If people on an Internet forum can frighten you, there’s a problem.

float
    Free Member

this is now a thread where everyone has to post a tag.

compositepro
    Free Member

some are just insults? Isn’t there a no upset feelings rule on this forum

FFS now I’m looking more at tags than the topic

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Sadly, we posters scare the bejeebuz out of everyone else.

Tags are anonymous. Part of STW. Or something.

Strangely, having met lots of the regular vociferous regulars, in real life a random growl shuts just about everyone up!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfin. What the **** has anyone got to be frightened of. It’s the Internet. Nobody knows where to find you. If people on an Internet forum can frighten you, there’s a problem.

I’m not the one what’s frightened.

People do it cos they don’t have the ability to come up with an intelligent response/argument, or they just want to have a pop at someone but don’t want to be seen doing so. Pathetic really, but as you said; it’s the internet…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Elfin – you’re wrong on this one. We (you, me included) scare newcomers. See, we’re arguing right now and no newcomers will intercede. I will just have to kill you. Well you ride about 500 miles from where I do but still, my katana is poised and waiting. Or something.

druidh
    Free Member

I used to have a Katana.
    It was an 1100 and got nicked from outside work.

Kat-Crop by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

I bought a replacement but never had the same love for it.

compositepro
    Free Member

Maybe a pent up frustration thread would be in order……get it all out in the open

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Oooh : Katana = teenage fantasy for me!

What tags does that get us?

djglover
    Free Member

Surf Mat = AWESOME. I started that trend

Garry_Lager

They’re an odd feature right enough, but a nice counterpoint to the general po-faced ballachery of STW.com

brakes
    Free Member

They’re a right feature odd enough, but a nice point to counter the general po-ball face-achery of STW.com

M6TTF
    Free Member

Never used them, do find them amusing though, I find it a good way of gauging what the overall theme of a thread is. Sadly most of the threads are the same boring argument by the same individuals these days

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

They are an excellent and effective way of rebutting the insistent rhetoric of certain posters who just don’t listen, with a few well-chosen words. Some of the best are brilliant.

The mods know who post them. I have almost never tagged anything. But I can understand why some posters – including a couple from a certain city in Scotland, get tagged frequently… And frequent posters who don’t like them should ask themselves what it is about their posting style which leads to the phenomenon.

mcboo
    Free Member

Tags are great, often a hoot, leave them alone.

Fred your such a tough guy. Bore off.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Elfin. What the **** has anyone got to be frightened of. It’s the Internet. Nobody knows where to find you.

…we do know exactly who you are and where to find you. You just don’t know it!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am disapoint that i have been tagged only once.

And it’s an uber lame tag at that 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Quite apt for you then, Al.

Do you get it?!?!?!

I’m calling you Über Lame!!

HA!

Take that!

rOcKeTdOg

Lol @ elf, is this the fearless keyboard warrior we all know?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Elfin. What the **** has anyone got to be frightened of. It’s the Internet. Nobody knows where to find you.
    …we do know exactly who you are and where to find you. You just don’t know it!!!
    POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Well in that case, please feel free to turn up at any time.

yunki
    Free Member

People do it cos they don’t have the ability to come up with an intelligent response/argument, or they just want to have a pop at someone but don’t want to be seen doing so. Pathetic really, but as you said; it’s the internet…

I don’t agree elf.. I’ve put up a couple of insulting tags lately to highlight the actions of a particularly scathing and unhelpful character.. 😳

if I was to voice my opinion directly at GW.. he would turn it instantly into some petty teenage style name calling squabble that I don’t have the time or energy for.. it’s not anything like cowardice.. just a lack of inclination to engage with a wally.. ( a concept that you for one may indeed struggle with)

the shame is he does have some useful contributions to make.. maybe the tags will help..

I’m orf out for a ride now.. 😀

z1ppy

What is their purpose in topics?

Well other to insult ppl anonymously, some ppl use them to collect threads together, not very exciting but hopefully useful to some ppl:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/tags/security
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/tags/winter-boots
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/tags/winter-tyres
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/tags/magicshine

chakaping
    Free Member

The tags are policed though. I got a ban for implying that people who watch Grand Designs were middle class self-abusers.

It seemed needlessly confrontational to wade into the thread and state this, so I thought my strongly held opinion was best aired via the medium of tags.

There’s probably a point to be made about postmodern intertexualism or something, but instead of doing that I’ll just point out that I was going to tag this thread “transwales” but somebody already had.

That’s why I love STW.

😀

singlespeedstu

I use them to give some of my mates the attention they crave. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Lol @ elf, is this the fearless keyboard warrior we all know?

Erm, I actually have no problem whatsoever saying exactly what I’d say to someone on here to their face. No problem at all. Ask the people that know me. I don’t need a keyboard to hide behind, unlike some folk. Like yourself RD; claim to have met me, but if you did, you certainly din’t say owt to my face that you’ve said to me on here. And nor would you, cos you woon’t have the bottle. Easy to insult someone online, another thing to do it in person.

The ‘cowardice’ thing is about people not having the ability to engage with someone on a thread, ‘in person’ as it were, so resort to tags to try to have a pop. A bit like leaving anonymous notes on someone’s desk or whatever. I imagine some of those who hide behind tags probbly do this sort of thing at work, cos they don’t have the bottle to speak their mind face to face.

So, I spose tags do serve a purpose, as they provide refuge for the socially inept and inadequate types…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yunki makes a good point tho – it’s a way of letting someone know they’re thought of as a tool without getting into flame-a-geddon with them.

Not everyone has the time/inclination for it, only the proper big hitters.

yunki
    Free Member

as they provide refuge for the socially inept and inadequate types…

‘ere..! I resent resemble that remark..!!

brakes
    Free Member

‘people’ don’t like tags because it doesn’t allow the tagged to draw the tagger into a keyboard war and make them wade around in the attritus of inane postings.
    tags are the ninja poke in the eye of the forum world.

rOcKeTdOg

RD; claim to have met me, but if you did, you certainly .din’t say owt to my face that you’ve said to me on here And nor would you, cos you woon’t have the bottle.

I’d call you a twit to your face, no problem at all, when we met I hadn’t experienced the full extent of your tediousness that’s all

Aww crap i’m being drawn into one of those keyboard wars aren’t I? Just what he wanted, what a talented manipulator he is, bet he’ll beat off over this success

djglover
    Free Member

Tags are great fun. Yes it’s a form of bullying, but really if you get het up about it you really should ask yourself some serious questions.
    I admit now that
    surfmat=AWESOME
    don Simon=DWEEB and
    deadlyborindarcy
    were all my own work

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d call you a twit to your face, no problem at all

I’d just laugh at you. 😆 Then ignore you. Quite simply cos you’d have nothing of interest that I’d want to hear. Sorry, but that’s how inconsequential you are. 😐

I might let you have an autographed pic of me though, so’s you can put it up on your wall. Because I’m nice like that. 🙂

when we met I hadn’t experienced the full extent of your tediousness that’s all

So tedious you get all excited about me. I think it’s cos of that chip on your shoulder. 😉

GW
    Free Member

if I was to voice my opinion directly at GW.. he would turn it instantly into some petty teenage style name calling squabble that I don’t have the time or energy for..

No. I’d read your opinion but if happened to be complete bollox I’ll tell you so, if it wasn’t I’d agree. Surely that’s not too difficult to understand?

the shame is he does have some useful contributions to make.. maybe the tags will help..

What makes you think sticking a Tag up to slag me off when you’re unable to prove your “opinion” is going to change mine? Surely if your “opinion” were right you could easily prove it instead of reverting to name calling?? 😕
    Whatever insult you tag onto my name won’t change anything.

cynic-al – Member
    Yunki makes a good point tho – it’s a way of letting someone know they’re thought of as a tool without getting into flame-a-geddon with them.

So call them a tool in a post. you can always run away from the thread all smug with the adrenaline hit from MingTFU for once.

yunki
    Free Member

oh GW.. you irksome little pillock.. we’ve been through this already.. which kinda proves my point..

unlike you I know next to naff all about the technical aspects of bikes.. I don’t profess to and never have.. I just ride the damn things and enjoy the one I’ve got..

my opinion is that you’re an unhelpful scathing f***wit with a lot of useful information to give that you’re too pretentious and contemptuous to share.. preferring instead to mock and deride those with less experience than yourself..
    I’ve dared to call you out about it and you’ve started acting all spoilt and hurt..
    it’s as simple as that.. I’m not sure how I’m meant to go about proving that exactly.. but I guess that you do a good job of it yourself..

tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I have no time however to argue with some disaffected teenager so now I’m off to hide behind my mummy or whatever it is you’ve started accusing me of recently.. before you beat me up online or something

ciao senorita…x

trailmonkey

😆

excellent

ssjeff
    Free Member

Tags on threads usually grow as the thread becomes more ridiculously boring usuall perpetuated by the same self centred opinionated people
    in my experience some of the best threads on here have been made far more interesting with a thread fest !

Bring on the tagging

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe we should have a system where we can see who’s posted what tag? Take away the anonymity? Then we can still have the fun ones, but lose a lot of the snidey cowardly ones?

I can tell who’s posted some of them, cos they turn up at exactly the same time as certain posters. In fact, with boring regularity. 😉

vancoughcough
    Free Member

lol

I must be so old and out of touch I have no idea of what you mean by tag?

er.. what tags?

…I can barely use my mobile phone…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Tags in topics’ is closed to new replies.