Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Swinley Trail Closure
  • heihei

Was there yesterday and the trails opposite the resevoir were fenced off. Anyone know why?

auricgoldfinger

Building a film set, supposedly next Harry Potter film.

cinnamon_girl

PITA. I don’t want to be inconvenienced 👿

anjs
    Free Member

Well post on MTB Britian now says they are filming in 4 locations and many areas are closed including parts of the full nine yards.

Straightliner

Full Nine Yards was open yesterday, and was not on the original plans to ever be closed (according to Mr Gorrick), although parts of the Crowthorne Highway are shut at the moment. There are also closures near to Surrey Hill Reservoir meaning CJ’s, Thin Blue Line etc are not accessible currently.

forge197
    Free Member

Looks like I moved just in time 😉

singletracksurfer

that was lucky, I was there yesterday & just rode/explored the other side which was all open (you just have to watch out for the vans speeding along the firetracks – ****ts). Was very tempted to go towards the reservoir at the end but was too tired – would have resulted in a big grump & shaking of fences had I been arsed to go.

dalepoint
    Free Member

they have lots of locations all fenced off why not work in one place at a time. also when they have finished why park there cars over the entrance to the fire road so no can get past would you block a road off no an over weight couple prize themselves out of there car look at the set stand in the middle of trail watching as we close in comenting that people cycle in woods this far from the car park. rant over

cinnamon_girl

Repeat PITA repeat PITA. Popped over there this afternoon, started using the red waymarked mtb trail to return to the Look Out – stealth weapon wanted to fly and suddenly I was confronted with a security man waving his arms frantically in the middle of the track. How he didn’t get knocked over I don’t know 😳

Cue rantette from me and was told there were pyrotechnics going on 😯

As a local I’m hacked off with it and the sooner they clear off the better 😈

solamanda
    Free Member

Are they still just taped off or a proper fence?

cinnamon_girl

solamanda – bit of a mixture. But there just seems to be more that we can’t use. The top of Surrey Hill with reservoir on the right, the leftside trails are fenced off, remember that rooty one you showed me? It’s the fireroads that are blocked off too.

cinnamon_girl

Actualy not sure what happens at the weekend – whether they are still filming or what.

solamanda
    Free Member

Thanks CG. That one has been taped off for a while. I’m giving some friends a guide around tomorrow so hopefully we can tape jump as per ‘usual’.

cinnamon_girl

I don’t know whether you can – there is a metal barrier there as well.

There is a really fun descent near there though. Stay on the fire road for a few metres more but don’t descend. On the right (broken barbed wire) there is a long trail that has mogul-type thingies, some fast descending with a few roots, then a short sharp climb then a silly fast descent with roots. You will hit a sharp left hand bend. If you follow this, go through dismantled gate by new fencing and this will take you eventually back up to the ridge close to Labyrinth.

Does that make sense?

solamanda
    Free Member

Does that make sense?

No 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Oh, sorry 😳

Reservoir on right, stay on main wide track as though you are going towards Labyrinth. 100 metres past reservoir on right look out for broken barbed wire fence with tyre tracks.

Your big bouncy bike will love it 😉

It’s also a nicer way of getting to Labyrinth/Deer Stalker without that nasty nasty stony stony climb 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Interesting, as I didn’t think it went downhill that way? I’ll keep a look out for it. I’ve got something more sensible for xc now 😉

Cheer Elaine.

andywhit
    Free Member

>that nasty nasty stony stony climb

The Wall ?

cinnamon_girl

You’re welcome 😀 You’re too hardcore for sensible 8)

andywhit – yep! It’s got worse over the years … no wait … my riding has got worse over the years 🙂

The last few weekends there has been no filming and everything I wanted to ride has been open/unfenced. Is it worse now?

The wall is not as bad as when it used to have huge water ruts/erosion on it. But it needs the right weather – too dry or too wet and it is difficult – dryish spells in early spring, or late autumn work best.

I haven’t a clue which trails are CJs or the thin blue line… can you give me some hints?

cinnamon_girl

I’m sorry but don’t know what the situation is at weekends – there’s too many people on the trails then so I avoid it!

Agree about The Wall though.

Don’t know those names, perhaps andywhit can help?

16stonepig
    Free Member

CJ’s is the rooty one opposite the reservoir which is fenced off with the metal barrier and multiple signs.

Never heard of Thin Blue Line…

CG – I don’t know how long that fence is going to be down for. I heard that Gorrick got into a bit of trouble over putting that in the enuro in May.

jay_tht
    Free Member

Been up there the last couple Wendesday evenings have not had a problem with what is closed off..

Still had a good ride out some trail I would of like to done in the mark off area, but hay if it means Swinley getting money that may help with trails TLC or what ever it not much to ask really..

dalepoint
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl the down hill you described is great after you got through the gate before the climb a left takes you up to the wreck of the car another sweet desent off from there back down to the track you just left a little loop which is worth adding in.

Straightliner

To find CJ’s and the Thin Blue Line:

With your back to the reservoir, take the singletrack to the right of the obvious steep fireroad (this is currently taped off, but will hopefully be open again soon)

Head in there for about 30m, take the first available singletrack on your right.

Staying right takes you on to CJ’s – notable for it’s step on the way into a sharp right hand bend

Taking the left hand option takes you down towards the Thin Blue Line – steepish descent into a trail where it splits (obvious wooden sleeper in the trail). I think the Thin Blue Line actually applies to the bit immediately after the fire road, into some bermed corners. Ends at the same crossroads of multiple trails that the Long Run ends at.

Straightliner

Completely agree about the speeding vans and cars though, and then parking across fireroad and singletrack trail entrances…. very annoying and although hardly going to stop us, it’s downright inconsiderate.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bastards! All because they’re filming another shitty Harry Potter film? How long are they going to be there for?

CG; want me to come down and sort them out? They want pyrotechnics? I’ll burn their **** vayns out*, the bastards!

*I won’t really. But I shall be having a very cross word with them, and no mistake.

According to the guy looking after the ‘set’ they’ve finished filming. And it was Harry Potter.

It looks like it’ll take them a few days to clear everything out, but I can’t see any reason why any of the trails shouldn’t be back in normal use.

Crisis over!

Ah cool. CJs is one of my favourite trails. But I know it as ‘5 days in hospital’!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mostly cleared up now. There's just the bit to CJs(?) at the top of Surrey Hill that was roped off yesterday evening, which goes down to the green screen stuff they built. Not sure if the green screen is still there as didn't go that way this time.

The only real mess I think is where they set up two cranes and the line between the trees where I guess they did some stunts.

Anyway, hopefully we'll get some new stuff out of the money the estate has got out of it. Maybe they'll stick some directional signs up too on the singletrack 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Trail Closure’ is closed to new replies.